cozygirrrl

I think we stopped stippling around chapter 3

Chrissi
CG Products      

-----Original Message-----
To: Cozy Builders ; Canard Aviators
Sent: Fri, Nov 11, 2016 9:14 pm
Subject: COZY: Stippling

I have been building my Cozy MKIV with MGS 335 epoxy the entire time.  All this time, I never got the hang of stippling... it never worked for me.  I always had much better luck with a squeegee and a hair dryer, sometimes using a pick to fix some small air bubbles.

Now that I'm building the strakes (the fuel tanks).... I'm using EZ 10 Resin with EZ 87 hardener.  My first layup with the brown stuff.. and I actually do like the smell.  It smells real.  

Anyway, I tried stippling tonight... Oh.. my... gosh... stippling really works with EZ Poxy!    It doesn't work that well, for me, with MGS.  It always made things worse.  I think the plans were developed, including stippling, with a thicker epoxy like EZ Poxy.  

Andrew Anunson

Greg Norman

Same here. The MGS 285 has a better working viscosity but I'm not paying for that stuff. I think if I did it again I'd try EZ poxy as well.

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 9:01 AM, CozyGirrrl@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Chrissi
CG Products      

From: 'Andrew Anunson' via COZY Builders Mailing List <cozy_builders@googlegroups.com>
To: Cozy Builders <cozy_builders@googlegroups.com>; Canard Aviators <canard-aviators@yahoogroups.com>

I have been building my Cozy MKIV with MGS 335 epoxy the entire time.  All this time, I never got the hang of stippling... it never worked for me.  I always had much better luck with a squeegee and a hair dryer, sometimes using a pick to fix some small air bubbles.

Now that I'm building the strakes (the fuel tanks).... I'm using EZ 10 Resin with EZ 87 hardener.  My first layup with the brown stuff.. and I actually do like the smell.  It smells real.  

Anyway, I tried stippling tonight... Oh.. my... gosh... stippling really works with EZ Poxy!    It doesn't work that well, for me, with MGS.  It always made things worse.  I think the plans were developed, including stippling, with a thicker epoxy like EZ Poxy.  

Andrew Anunson

Izzy

I stopped using MGS 7 years ago due to a lot of reports of bad allergic reactions to it.  There are also reprints of reactions to EZ Poxy too, but nothing as violent and MGS victims.

I am a stippler for safety :p

Izzy

On Nov 12, 2016, at 12:08 PM, Greg Norman gnorm76@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Same here. The MGS 285 has a better working viscosity but I'm not paying for that stuff. I think if I did it again I'd try EZ poxy as well.

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 9:01 AM, CozyGirrrl@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Chrissi
CG Products      

From: 'Andrew Anunson' via COZY Builders Mailing List <cozy_builders@googlegroups.com>
To: Cozy Builders <cozy_builders@googlegroups.com>; Canard Aviators <canard-aviators@yahoogroups.com>

I have been building my Cozy MKIV with MGS 335 epoxy the entire time.  All this time, I never got the hang of stippling... it never worked for me.  I always had much better luck with a squeegee and a hair dryer, sometimes using a pick to fix some small air bubbles.

Now that I'm building the strakes (the fuel tanks).... I'm using EZ 10 Resin with EZ 87 hardener.  My first layup with the brown stuff.. and I actually do like the smell.  It smells real.  

Anyway, I tried stippling tonight... Oh.. my... gosh... stippling really works with EZ Poxy!    It doesn't work that well, for me, with MGS.  It always made things worse.  I think the plans were developed, including stippling, with a thicker epoxy like EZ Poxy.  

Andrew Anunson

Andrew Anunson

Jason Blevins wrote:
I agree.  I use MGS335, and stippling does nothing but cause problems... All stippling has ever seemed to do with this epoxy is create bubbles, and pull micro up into the layup, no matter how hard or lightly you do it.

Yes... that is what I have experienced too.  If we look back in to the archives, we see lots of posts about "what am doing wrong with this stippling?"  No matter what you do with MGS, it seems impossible to get good results stippling with it.  Squeegee... it works.  Squeegee with clear plastic... it works great.  Soaking up epoxy with the glass... it works great.  Stippling does not work with MGS.

Laying up BID on these strake bulkheads using the EZ poxy, I've had great luck leaving the micro a little too wet and letting the glass soak up the epoxy.  On the pieces where I scraped off a little too much micro, I am getting some air bubbles in the glass.  Stippling works immediately, and no micro is being pulled up in to the glass.  Really.. its fun..it works so well after learning the alternate techniques required for MGS.

If I was starting over... I'd definately consider EZ Poxy over the MGS 335 that I built with.  I think its easier all around... (but I still like the 335 too).

Both are expensive, and neither has hazmat shipping charges.

Andrew Anunson
Cozy MKIV #1273
Chapter 21 
Pound, VA 

KEN4ZZ

You should have seen the reactions to the very first RAE epoxy I built with.  At the time it was the only game in town.  There was one guy in my EAA chapter who built what amounted to a fresh air supplied space suit so he could finish his project.  He even had reactions to sanding cured epoxy without the suit.  Toxic is, well, relative.

Ken

On 11/12/2016 3:00 PM, Izzy Briggs inbriggs@... [canard-aviators] wrote:

I stopped using MGS 7 years ago due to a lot of reports of bad allergic reactions to it.  There are also reprints of reactions to EZ Poxy too, but nothing as violent and MGS victims.

I am a stippler for safety :p

Izzy