COZY: picking up from paint - what to look for?

Andrew Anunson

I was planning to use vinyl for my numbers and graphics.... any recommendations for or against vinyl numbers / graphics?

Thanks,
Andrew Anunson

On ‎Thursday‎, ‎June‎ ‎27‎, ‎2019‎ ‎11‎:‎27‎:‎19‎ ‎PM‎ ‎EDT, Glen bob gcm2291@... [canard-aviators] wrote:

Seems like vinyl would be the best rout for numbers.

GM

On Jun 27, 2019, at 1:03 PM, Izzy Briggs inbriggs@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

I had a similar problem painting the numbers on the Varieze. I initially used a single stage paint. The paint was thick and when it started to cure, it pulled a sloppy swoopy mess along the edges of the Nnumbers.

I waited a day then sanded everything  back to primer and started over. This time I left the tape on until the paint dried. This time the paint came off in chips and left with a sharp jagged line.

So I sanded off a third time and changed paints.. This time I used single stage white to paint the base. Then I used basecoat to paint the numbers (brown and orange). After painting the basecoat, the  template came off easily and left nice clean lines. I then lightly sanded and used a clear coat over the whole winglet not just the number. So far it’s working.

The. I went to the Bahamas in April. CBP didn’t like my numbers at all. So I used orange tape and made new ones!

Izzy

On Jun 27, 2019, at 11:22, Buly bulent.enginegear@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

It sounds as a common sense thing, but my hangar mate years back, took his plane to a professional plane painting outfit. Had it done and after drying for few days he brought his CZ back. I could not believe what I was seeing. The fine line and masking tape around the windshield and the windows was still on.
I told him it is a big problem and it is going to hurt. He did not think so, until tried to pull the tape. Paint was lifting in a ugly jagged line.
The painter should have pulled the tape off soon after finishing with the spray gun.
Just something to consider.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:09 AM Izzy Briggs inbriggs@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

You should have used a blue paint gun.

Izzy

On Jun 27, 2019, at 10:41, Bob Holliston bob.holliston@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

I recently painted my LongEZ , the third one I've painted and it's a really big deal. The actual spraying takes less than 8 hours, the prep hundreds. I wouldn't do it for less than 20 K. The only way to do it right (my opinion) is to disassemble everything. I counted 46 separate parts to paint.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 6:20 AM Izzy Briggs inbriggs@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

How did the guy balance the controls exactly?

How much weight was added to the plane? Did you get a before and after weight?

How long should the paint cure before it can return to service? Some paints need to sit for a week or so before it can handle a bugs face at 200.

Make sure there’s no leftover paper or tape anywhere, especially the engine area and the brakes. Bring a flashlight.

Make sure all doors and panels can be opened or removed that they weren’t painted shut.

Drips can be mitigated by some skilled use of a razor blade and rubbing compound without too much difficulty so don’t sweat them too much.

Izzy

On Jun 26, 2019, at 20:41, Christian Bailey <aetm12@...> wrote:

On the recommendations from a few folks on this list, I just had my Berkut painted at Kracon in Lincoln, CA.

They completed the job only a couple of days past the two weeks promised, which seems incredible. So I'm going tomorrow to pick her up.

I will do a careful inspection of the job, looking for runs and overspray.

On my safety list is a thorough preflight, particularly including canard attachment bolts and wires, and full travel of all controls (I brought a protractor to check the travel). They had an A&P balance the controls and make a logbook entry.

Tapping the collective braintrust here – anything else you’ve seen or heard of a paint shop mess up that I should look out for?

Christian

Berkut 540 N6212

Bulent Aliev
Enginegear
ph +1 954.557.1019
fax +1 386.957.4473
Bulent@...
www.enginegearonline.com

Bulent Aliev

That’s what I used, and was very happy with the looks.

--
Bulent Aliev
Enginegear

victor taylor

I used a paint mask for all my lettering and numbers. The local sign shop made mine. You put it on and peel off the top layer. Sand and paint, then pull off the rest. Worked perfect and is very easy to do.

Victor Taylor
Velocity 93DV

On Jun 28, 2019, at 14:15, Andrew Anunson macleodm3@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

[...]

Phil Kriley

All of the graphics on “Cat’s Meow” are vinyl and they have held up very well.  When it comes time, I will use vinyl formthe graphics on the plane I am building.

Phil Kriley
P.S. I also stink at painting...

On Jun 28, 2019, at 10:13 AM, victor taylor velocityoner@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruce Hughes

Who can afford th hire a paint company?

If you do your own painting, which I did,
there is a caution.

The original owners/builders had put
"Spraylat" on the canopy to protect it
from scratches.    That is a good idea.

HOWEVER Spraylat soaks up paint.
I did not know that so I did not cover
the spraylat with masking tape.   The
paint job looked GREAT.

Then I found that the canopy was also
painted up a 1/2" to 3/4" all around.
I worked to get it off.   It does not come
off.  With aging and persistance I got
most off.   I also have scratches.

The Longeze looks good when I fly
over at 500' or more.

So I now have a new canopy that I will
eventually put on.

Bruce Hughes

[...]

<image1.jpeg>

[...]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cozy_builders/00ec01d52c81%240c0a90c0%24241fb240%24%40aetm.us.

Bulent Aliev
Enginegear
ph +1 954.557.1019
fax +1 386.957.4473
Bulent@...
www.enginegearonline.com

Tim Andres

Where’s the like button? Oh, wrong platform, anyway, ask for the “paint mask” adhesive when doing it this way. Sticks just enough to seal the edge, peels off easy .
Tim Andres

[...]

Harley Dixon

Have to stick in my two cents again.

I did my graphics in Cadd (Visual Cadd) where I could do them "full size".  I printed them at home on paper and fitted them to the plane to be sure I liked the look on the plane then took them to a local sign shop where they printed the vinyl for me matching the colors and size perfectly.  Loved the job, and was able to do some pretty fine lines (note the yellow lines that taper to nothing between the darker colored ones).  They were able to use the CADD files directly from a USB drive I suppled.

The best part of doing it this way was they could easily print the long fuselage graphics in one piece!
Here's a jpg copy of the cadd screen for the winglet design, and. second, a photo of the winglet with the paper copies that I printed to check for fit and appearance, and last, the finished vinyl job. I decided to change the N number's location when I applied them so it wouldn't be on the rudder and still be fairly large.

I didn't notice it looked like Terry's until I went to RR two years ago! It wasn't intentional...we must just think alike!

Harley

On 6/28/2019 10:25 AM, Phil Kriley greilich@... [canard-aviators] wrote:

All of the graphics on “Cat’s Meow” are vinyl and they have held up very well..  When it comes time, I will use vinyl formthe graphics on the plane I am building.

Phil Kriley
P.S. I also stink at painting...

On Jun 28, 2019, at 10:13 AM, victor taylor velocityoner@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

I used a paint mask for all my lettering and numbers. The local sign shop made mine. You put it on and peel off the top layer. Sand and paint, then pull off the rest. Worked perfect and is very easy to do.

Victor Taylor
Velocity 93DV

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 28, 2019, at 14:15, Andrew Anunson macleodm3@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

I was planning to use vinyl for my numbers and graphics.... any recommendations for or against vinyl numbers / graphics?

Thanks,
Andrew Anunson

On ‎Thursday‎, ‎June‎ ‎27‎, ‎2019‎ ‎11‎:‎27‎:‎19‎ ‎PM‎ ‎EDT, Glen bob gcm2291@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Seems like vinyl would be the best rout for numbers.

GM

Bulent Aliev

I used truck decals for the sides.
For the numbers, I took measurements of the available space on The winglets, took a close photo of the winglet and took it to a sign guy. He made the numbers on the computer, and superimposed the to my photo.
Than he moved and stretched the to my liking. Than cut me two perfect sets.
Later years when I had to replace one wing, he pulled the old file and cut me an exact copy. I did the installation myself.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 1:11 PM Harley Dixon harley@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

[...]

Looks like auto spell butchered my last email😱

[...]

KEN4ZZ

The simple solution:?? Vinyl boat numbers.?? I generally get 8 to 10 years before I lose one.?? Some have been stuck on for over 25 years.?? I prefer the simple black block numbers available locally, but more colors and styles are available.?? Just one source of many: https://www.westmarine.com/boat-letters-numbers

Ken

On 6/28/2019 8:55 AM, Buly bulent.enginegear@... [canard-aviators] wrote:
??
[...]

aviationeyes

Harley,
the diagonal numbers make such a big difference for the better. Somehow, makes the effect more modern. Interesting how significant graphics design can be.
--Jose

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019, at 1:10 PM, Harley Dixon harley@... [canard-aviators] wrote:

[...]

Attachments:
  • kkjnmebdddceobol.png
  • ajjmalldkfcddbja.png
  • pbaecjpilebjchph.png

--

  skyeyecorp@...

Harley Dixon

Thanks, Jose...

Although, when my DAR (Daryl Middlebrook, owner of Penn Yan Aero... www.pennyanaero.com ) inspected it for the airworthiness certificate, he reminded me that if the aircraft was any newer I couldn't have done them like that!  He said that since I started building it in the 80s, it grandfathered for the weirder than normal numbering.

Don't know how true that is, but I thank him for it!

Harley