From: canard-aviators@...
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2019 11:25 AM
To: canard-aviators@...
Subject: Re: [c-a] Coupling Radio antennae

Marc, how much of the winglet was taken off and how difficult was it to control the plane. If this story was put out on the forum, I somehow missed it. Glad things turned out ok for you.

Don Jones

Berkut FG

On Friday, June 28, 2019, 1:18:35 PM EDT, 'Marcus Borom' borommarc@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Since I had my mid-air, in which I lost my left winglet and associated radio antenna, I want to avoid the possible loss of radio contact, if this ever (very unlikely) happens again.  It was fortunate that my radio was connected through my right winglet, so I maintained radio contact with the tower.

I have now rebuilt my left winglet and associated radio antenna.  It works.  Is it possible to connect both antennae to the radio through a splitter (or combiner??) so that, if one antenna goes bad, or is knocked off by an errant airplane, radio contact is maintained?

Anxious to know.

Marc Borom

N966EZ

Ryan Field

Tucson, AZ

alt

Bob Holliston

Holy shit!

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 4:02 PM 'Marcus Borom' borommarc@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Don,

I lost the upper third of the winglet and the rudder was ripped off (see attached picutres).  I kept a cool head and was able to control the plane fairly easily using only the ailerons.  If the Piper had been 18 inches lower, I would have lost my head compoletely..

After having totally rebuilt this plane in only five days at Oshkosh in 1988, it was a bit ridiculous how long it took to get this repair done.  I was a little bummed out.

Marc

[...]

People who have been reading CA for a while, and have memory retention at least as good as a gnat, know about both of Marc's mishaps.

It was good to know that he could control the aircraft with part of a winglet missing. The Oshkosh rebuild is a really great tale. Good people involved.

As for the incident with the Piper, all I'll say is:

ADS-B! ADS-B!! ADS-B!!!

You'll make your own luck.

On 7/21/2019 8:53 PM, Bob Holliston bob.holliston@gmail.com [canard-aviators] wrote:

Holy shit!

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 4:02 PM 'Marcus Borom' borommarc@earthlink.net
<mailto:borommarc@earthlink.net> [canard-aviators]
<canard-aviators@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:canard-aviators@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

__

Don,____

__ __

____

[...]

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>____

____

____

____

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

aviationeyes

Hi Marcus,
when you lost your rudder, where did the rudder cable break?  Presumably 3/32" cable? I ask because I heard a story about the rudder cable causing further injury to the pilot's leg in a crash as it was pulled through the cabin when the wings sheared off.
--Jose

[...]

Attachments:
  • 20171007_103526.jpg
  • 20171007_103541.jpg
  • 20171007_113443.jpg
  • 20171007_113507.jpg
  • 20171007_113609.jpg
  • 20171007_113757.jpg
  • 20171007_113833.jpg
  • 20171007_113954.jpg
  • 20171007_123732.jpg

--

  skyeyecorp@...

Marc

Jose,

I don’t really remember where the cable broke.  The cable was still in the passage tube in the wing and attached to the control bracket in the cowling area. I think it broke free of the rudder at the bracket connection and got pulled into the passage tube when I was making my landing approach.  I easily extracted the cable from the wing, but I had a lot of trouble inserting the replacement cable.  I think the nylon tube was scarred by the event.  I had to buy a 20 ft. length of 10 gauge copper wire to use to clean out the tube in order to pass the replacement cable.

Don’t want to do this again.

Marc B