Camping update at OSH

Gerald Eaton

Just got this text update:

“GA camping and parking is full unless you have reserved parking.”

Wait....
There’s reserved camping spots for GA camping/parking at Oshkosh??? (WTF!?!!)

Ok.....So I’m feeling like I belong on the short bus right now; so when did we start having reserved parking at Oshkosh? Miss-read on my part or is this just a typo? I’ve been camping under the wing for 25 years, and feel like I’ve been missing something...

Jerry Eaton

Nick U

Are you planning to camp in General Aviation or Homebuilt Camping?

  I have never seen an issue with HB camping.  No reservation needed.

On Jul 21, 2019, at 8:10 PM, Gerald Eaton jeaton5428@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Just got this text update:

“GA camping and parking is full unless you have reserved parking.”

Wait....
There’s reserved camping spots for GA camping/parking at Oshkosh??? (WTF!?!!)

Ok.....So I’m feeling like I belong on the short bus right now; so when did we start having reserved parking at Oshkosh? Miss-read on my part or is this just a typo? I’ve been camping under the wing for 25 years, and feel like I’ve been missing something...

Jerry Eaton

Dick Knapinski

Jerry:

That is for reserved hard-surface parking at the Basler FBO.

Dick

“GA camping and parking is full unless you have reserved parking.”

Wait....
There’s reserved camping spots for GA camping/parking at Oshkosh??? (WTF!?!!)

Ok.....So I’m feeling like I belong on the short bus right now; so when did we start having reserved parking at Oshkosh? Miss-read on my part or is this just a typo? I’ve been camping under the wing for 25 years, and feel like I’ve been missing something...

Jerry Eaton

Gerald Eaton

Hi Dick,
Thank you for the response;
“hard surface....”

That makes perfect sense....😊

I figured I was missing something obvious....
I never concerned myself with Basler (except for buying gas) since I always had to pursue GAC, so that didn’t occur to me. In fact, I didn’t even know you could reserve those spots.

Every year EAA has some small changes, and/or I learn of a ‘trick’ about getting in, finding a spot, or where to stay off-site, so I thought I might have missed a nice ‘nugget’.

And I ‘yearn’ for the day when (because I finish mine, or buy another) I can bring a Cozy, gain a slot in HBC.....

Someday.

Jerry

On Jul 21, 2019, at 20:26, Dick Knapinski dknapinski@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Jerry:

That is for reserved hard-surface parking at the Basler FBO.

Dick

“GA camping and parking is full unless you have reserved parking.”

Wait....
There’s reserved camping spots for GA camping/parking at Oshkosh??? (WTF!?!!)

Ok.....So I’m feeling like I belong on the short bus right now; so when did we start having reserved parking at Oshkosh? Miss-read on my part or is this just a typo? I’ve been camping under the wing for 25 years, and feel like I’ve been missing something...

Jerry Eaton

Tom Smith <TRCSmith@...>

Jerry

Don't forget, it's not about homebuilts anymore it's the corporate dollar that runs OSH. They just put up with us.

Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

That is for reserved hard-surface parking at the Basler FBO.
Dick

“GA camping and parking is full unless you have reserved parking.”

Wait....
There’s reserved camping spots for GA camping/parking at Oshkosh??? (WTF!?!!)

Ok.....So I’m feeling like I belong on the short bus right now; so when did we start having reserved parking at Oshkosh? Miss-read on my part or is this just a typo? I’ve been camping under the wing for 25 years, and feel like I’ve been missing something...

Jerry Eaton

KEN4ZZ

Amen Brother.

On 7/22/2019 10:57 AM, Tom Smith TRCSmith@... [canard-aviators] wrote:
??

Jerry

Don't forget, it's not about homebuilts anymore it's the corporate dollar that runs OSH. They just put up with us.

Tom Smith?? A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

??
???GA camping and parking is full unless you have reserved parking.???

Wait....
There???s reserved camping spots for GA camping/parking at Oshkosh??? (WTF!?!!)

Ok.....So I???m feeling like I belong on the short bus right now; so when did we start having reserved parking at Oshkosh? Miss-read on my part or is this just a typo? I???ve been camping under the wing for 25 years, and feel like I???ve been missing something...

Jerry Eaton

bowengor46er

Osh$, has been going commercial for a long time. The reason I quit doing the composites workshop and coming to Osh to volunteer. The entire”AirVenture” theme will be a failure as soon as the homebuilder core quit volunteering at Osh. It’s now 100% on the local chapters to keep the original EAA movement alive. Ask yourself, if the EAA did not have real experimental aircraft enthusiast around the country, would our so called builders convention in Osh survive? Would the State of WI pony up the money to support the state’s largest event? I know someone in Osh corporate management reads these posting on our user group, I wonder if they will wake up to the fact that they have allowed our annual experimental convention has been highjacked by money, like our political system.

Izzy

Good points. Personally, I’d like to see anything military banned from the event. It’s be nice to skip the United Airlines and UPS airplanes dominating Boeing as well. Those guys can all go to Paris.

Maybe we should all just start landing in Rockville again.

Izzy

On Jul 29, 2019, at 13:46, Gordon Bowen gordon.bowen.training@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Osh$, has been going commercial for a long time. The reason I quit doing the composites workshop and coming to Osh to volunteer. The entire”AirVenture” theme will be a failure as soon as the homebuilder core quit volunteering at Osh. It’s now 100% on the local chapters to keep the original EAA movement alive. Ask yourself, if the EAA did not have real experimental aircraft enthusiast around the country, would our so called builders convention in Osh survive? Would the State of WI pony up the money to support the state’s largest event? I know someone in Osh corporate management reads these posting on our user group, I wonder if they will wake up to the fact that they have allowed our annual experimental convention has been highjacked by money, like our political system..

Ron Springer

Rockford ... but you can move the event to Rockville, MD if you want!

Ron

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 3:55 PM Izzy Briggs inbriggs@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick Hall

It's Rockford ;)

Boeing/Fed-x/Ford/other big boyz pay to display their offerings in front of 500,000 people. As to war-birds, I kinda agree. But seeing a F4U up close is kinda neat, and they do draw a crowd.

Ignoring the 'commercial' aspect of Airventure, especially the eye glass cleaners and magic fingers massage chair vendors, there's a lot to offer for the builders/experimenters.

Bill K volunteers for the composite workshop, it's filled to capacity more than half of the sessions. I volunteer at the Cozy-3 build in Aeroplane Workshop, along with the rest of "Team Epoxy", Chrissi, Randi, Bob, George, and often a few from the audience. We laid up both spar caps and both wing skins on one wing this year. Ever try to skin a wing using medium hardener in 85* heat while answering the inevitable "can I ask a small question"?  Hand layups are 'old tech', but we do draw a modest crowd.

If "Team Epoxy" didn't volunteer, RV types would be flying around with butt ugly modified cowlings. Yes, that's one of the "can I ask a small question" we *often* answer ;)

Do you know Portuguese? I don't either, but have had multiple visitors to our workshop from Brazil. The International Tent has volunteer translators that will go to a workshop/venue. I found that out on departure, from a Russian couple. What timing :-/

Gordon:
Know where you're coming from, suspect many think the same. But if we don't volunteer to share our collective knowledge with the few experimenters that attend, we're shooting ourselves in the proverbial foot. IMHO, of course :)

Rick

On Jul 29, 2019, at 13:46, Gordon Bowen gordon.bowen.training@gmail.com <mailto:gordon.bowen.training@gmail.com> [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@yahoogroups.com <mailto:canard-aviators@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

Osh$, has been going commercial for a long time. The reason I quit doing the composites workshop and coming to Osh to volunteer. The entire”AirVenture” theme will be a failure as soon as the homebuilder core quit volunteering at Osh. It’s now 100% on the local chapters to keep the original EAA movement alive. Ask yourself, if the EAA did not have real experimental aircraft enthusiast around the country, would our so called builders convention in Osh survive? Would the State of WI pony up the money to support the state’s largest event? I know someone in Osh corporate management reads these posting on our user group, I wonder if they will wake up to the fact that they have allowed our annual experimental convention has been highjacked by money, like our political system...

Sent from my iPad

Tom Smith <TRCSmith@...>

Well. OSH could be the USA's version of the Paris airshow for the big aluminum.

Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

On 7/29/2019 1:40 PM, Izzy Briggs inbriggs@... [canard-aviators]
wrote:

> Good points. Personally, I’d like to see anything military banned from
> the event. It’s be nice to skip the United Airlines and UPS airplanes
> dominating Boeing as well. Those guys can all go to Paris.
>

> Maybe we should all just start landing in Rockville again.
>
> Izzy
>

> On Jul 29, 2019, at 13:46, Gordon Bowen
> gordon.bowen.training@...
> gordon.bowen.training@...> [canard-aviators]
> <canard-aviators@...
> canard-aviators@...>> wrote:

>> Osh$, has been going commercial for a long time. The reason I quit
>> doing the composites workshop and coming to Osh to volunteer. The
>> entire”AirVenture” theme will be a failure as soon as the homebuilder
>> core quit volunteering at Osh. It’s now 100% on the local chapters to
>> keep the original EAA movement alive. Ask yourself, if the EAA did
>> not have real experimental aircraft enthusiast around the country,
>> would our so called builders convention in Osh survive? Would the
>> State of WI pony up the money to support the state’s largest event? I
>> know someone in Osh corporate management reads these posting on our
>> user group, I wonder if they will wake up to the fact that they have
>> allowed our annual experimental convention has been highjacked by
>> money, like our political system...

------------------------------------
Posted by: Rick Hall <rickh@...>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    canard-aviators-digest@...
    canard-aviators-fullfeatured@...

DON JONES <djonesdnd@...>

I have been attending Oshkosh/Airventure since 1976, one thing is for sure, a lot of change has taken place over the years. It was pretty big back in 76, but it has grown into a monstrous airshow. I was there this past week for Monday and Tuesday only and stood in amazement at the sheer size of the campgrounds, the seemingly endless displays of various aviation related items, the huge numbers of attendees, and in awe of EAA's ability to pull off the feat. The fly-in as a whole is nothing short of a remarkable accomplishment. I am proud to have been a member for the past 43 years.

 I, for one. love the diversity, from the seaplane base to the heavy iron that flies into the show. There is something for everyone and in general it is all top quality. Where on earth can you go and see and do the things we can at Airventure, I love it.

As for us Canadians, with a few exceptions like the younger Allen Floyd with his Grand Champion LongEze, we are a dwindling breed of aging builders and pilots. Our time horizon as productive contributors to the movement is short, all too soon we will have joined the OX-5 group from the early part of last century. Lets continue to support EAA and the Canard Movement to the best of our ability in hopes that younger canard builders and pilots will continue where we leave off. Burt gave us the best, most efficient aircraft ever conceived, let's do our best to pull together and support EAA which made our movement possible in the first place.

Don Jones
Berkut FG

wrote:

> Good points. Personally, I’d like to see anything military banned from
> the event. It’s be nice to skip the United Airlines and UPS airplanes
> dominating Boeing as well. Those guys can all go to Paris.
>

> Maybe we should all just start landing in Rockville again.
>
> Izzy
>

> On Jul 29, 2019, at 13:46, Gordon Bowen
> gordon.bowen.training@...
> gordon.bowen.training@...> [canard-aviators]
> <canard-aviators@...
> canard-aviators@...>> wrote:

>> Osh$, has been going commercial for a long time. The reason I quit
>> doing the composites workshop and coming to Osh to volunteer. The
>> entire”AirVenture” theme will be a failure as soon as the homebuilder
>> core quit volunteering at Osh. It’s now 100% on the local chapters to
>> keep the original EAA movement alive. Ask yourself, if the EAA did
>> not have real experimental aircraft enthusiast around the country,
>> would our so called builders convention in Osh survive? Would the
>> State of WI pony up the money to support the state’s largest event? I
>> know someone in Osh corporate management reads these posting on our
>> user group, I wonder if they will wake up to the fact that they have
>> allowed our annual experimental convention has been highjacked by
>> money, like our political system...

------------------------------------
Posted by: Rick Hall <rickh@...>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    canard-aviators-digest@...
    canard-aviators-fullfeatured@...

skovbjerg

Agree!
Jay

wrote:

> Good points. Personally, I’d like to see anything military banned from
> the event. It’s be nice to skip the United Airlines and UPS airplanes
> dominating Boeing as well. Those guys can all go to Paris.
>

> Maybe we should all just start landing in Rockville again.
>
> Izzy
>

> On Jul 29, 2019, at 13:46, Gordon Bowen
> gordon.bowen.training@...
> <mailto:gordon.bowen.training@...> [canard-aviators]
> <canard-aviators@...
> canard-aviators@...>> wrote:

>> Osh$, has been going commercial for a long time. The reason I quit
>> doing the composites workshop and coming to Osh to volunteer. The
>> entire”AirVenture” theme will be a failure as soon as the homebuilder
>> core quit volunteering at Osh. It’s now 100% on the local chapters to
>> keep the original EAA movement alive. Ask yourself, if the EAA did
>> not have real experimental aircraft enthusiast around the country,
>> would our so called builders convention in Osh survive? Would the
>> State of WI pony up the money to support the state’s largest event? I
>> know someone in Osh corporate management reads these posting on our
>> user group, I wonder if they will wake up to the fact that they have
>> allowed our annual experimental convention has been highjacked by
>> money, like our political system...

------------------------------------
Posted by: Rick Hall <rickh@...>

<*> Your email settings: