Lamb tires

Jim Evans

Is anyone using Lambs on Longs these days? Started with them 35 years ago but got away from them. Considering going back. Your thoughts?
Thanks, Jim

Ryszard Zadow

Yes..

On Apr 10, 2020, at 17:29, Jim Evans <jevansez@...> wrote:

Is anyone using Lambs on Longs these days? Started with them 35 years ago but got away from them. Considering going back. Your thoughts?
Thanks, Jim

Tom Smith <trcsmith@...>

Been using them about 16 years now. I like the way they get the nose up sooner.

Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Is anyone using Lambs on Longs these days? Started with them 35 years ago but got away from them. Considering going back. Your thoughts?
Thanks, Jim

Jim Evans

Thanks, Tom. Are you getting them from Aircraft Spruce?

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020, 19:09 Tom Smith via groups.io <trcsmith=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Been using them about 16 years now. I like the way they get the nose up sooner.

Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Is anyone using Lambs on Longs these days? Started with them 35 years ago but got away from them. Considering going back. Your thoughts?
Thanks, Jim

Tom Smith <trcsmith@...>

Who ever has the best price at the time. I think the last set was from Spruce.

Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Is anyone using Lambs on Longs these days? Started with them 35 years ago but got away from them. Considering going back. Your thoughts?
Thanks, Jim

Phillip Johnson

Jenatepilot

Yeppers.

On Apr 10, 2020, at 6:29 PM, Jim Evans <jevansez@...> wrote:

Is anyone using Lambs on Longs these days? Started with them 35 years ago but got away from them. Considering going back. Your thoughts?
Thanks, Jim

Bob Holliston

Been landing (and taking off) on Cheng Shins for 27 years, no flats. Two sets of main tires = one set of brake pads. Is that average?

--

Terry Schubert

I've not gotten away from them yet.  They offer less drag and considerably less weight at ~ half the price of 500x5 but also give a harsher ride and half the life.

Terry Schubert
Central States Association Newsletter Editor

Is anyone using Lambs on Longs these days? Started with them 35 years ago but got away from them. Considering going back. Your thoughts?
Thanks, Jim

Jim Evans

Thanks, Terry and all the rest of the responses as well. I may give them a try again whenever I get the Long flying again. Shooting for RR this year.
Jim

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020, 21:49 Terry Schubert <jschuber@...> wrote:
I've not gotten away from them yet.  They offer less drag and considerably less weight at ~ half the price of 500x5 but also give a harsher ride and half the life.

Terry Schubert
Central States Association Newsletter Editor

Is anyone using Lambs on Longs these days? Started with them 35 years ago but got away from them. Considering going back. Your thoughts?
Thanks, Jim

Terry Schubert

 Smaller diameter tires means the nose sits at at higher angle of attack and starts producing lift sooner at lower airspeed which requires less ground run before rotation. Sit in your airplane with a digital level on the longerons and see if it is level or nose down.

Also check to see if the main gear axles are in the proper location.  If they are too far aft that puts more weight on the nose wheel which requires more lift/airspeed  to rotate.

Terry Schubert

Is anyone using Lambs on Longs these days? Started with them 35 years ago but got away from them. Considering going back. Your thoughts?
Thanks, Jim

Terry Schubert

 What are you doing to it?

Terry Schubert
Central States Association Newsletter Editor

Is anyone using Lambs on Longs these days? Started with them 35 years ago but got away from them. Considering going back. Your thoughts?
Thanks, Jim

Jenatepilot

Bob I get about 150 landings when I rotate them. What air pressure do you set yours at?

On Apr 10, 2020, at 8:58 PM, Bob Holliston <bob.holliston@...> wrote:

Been landing (and taking off) on Cheng Shins for 27 years, no flats. Two sets of main tires = one set of brake pads. Is that average?

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 5:10 PM Jenatepilot <jenatepilot@...> wrote:
Yeppers.

On Apr 10, 2020, at 6:29 PM, Jim Evans <jevansez@...> wrote:

Is anyone using Lambs on Longs these days? Started with them 35 years ago but got away from them. Considering going back. Your thoughts?
Thanks, Jim

--

Bob Holliston

Jenatepilot,150 landings sounds about right. I probably get less because I don't rotate them and I change them when there's still some tread left on them. I run 70 pounds for the mains, 60 for the nose tire. Also, I'm pretty hard on brake pads as I (almost) always get off at the 1,700' turn off so as to only have a 50 yard taxi to my hanger. The next turn off is at 3,000'. So...… I'm giving up brake pad wear, but making it up with better tire wear. I think.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 11:57 AM Jenatepilot <jenatepilot@...> wrote:
Bob I get about 150 landings when I rotate them. What air pressure do you set yours at?

On Apr 10, 2020, at 8:58 PM, Bob Holliston <bob.holliston@...> wrote:

Been landing (and taking off) on Cheng Shins for 27 years, no flats. Two sets of main tires = one set of brake pads. Is that average?

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 5:10 PM Jenatepilot <jenatepilot@...> wrote:
Yeppers.

On Apr 10, 2020, at 6:29 PM, Jim Evans <jevansez@...> wrote:

Is anyone using Lambs on Longs these days? Started with them 35 years ago but got away from them. Considering going back. Your thoughts?
Thanks, Jim

Jenatepilot

Thanks Bob. Great info.