A teaspoon of canard humour in dark times.

Mike Tooze

I hope that a little canard humour is acceptable right now. - Please ignore/excuse if you find it not appropriate.
I posted one of these some time ago but here goes.

A friend of mine was cleaning down his Vari Eze when two boys rode up on their bicycles. Stopping at a respectful distance the two appeared to marvel at the sleek machine. My friend doing an apparently menial task soon became invisible to the pair. Then one turned to the other and explained ”They’re all made from scrap you know!”

I had my Vari Eze back for some work. Around that time I had some building work being done, not sure, it may have been the garage/workshop door.
Anyway, I had to show a young twenties or so builder into my shop. He was amazed to see my shiny, sleek machine. I was quite puffed-up as he asked questions like how fast it could go and how far it could fly. Then he asked, “Who flies it for you?” !!!!!

Stay safe,
Mike T

skovbjerg

Love it!
Jay S

On Apr 18, 2020, at 04:03, Mike Tooze via groups.io <miketooze=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Ian Huss <lisnion@...>

I got one:

I've been spending much of my spare time at KLMO (Longmont muni) for about 25 years now and I keep the hangar door open & invite people in when they come by to look. Often guys will come by and chat me up and if their timing is right I tell 'em: "get in, we can talk while we're flying, what was your name again?" (I think Allen Floyd might have been one of those).

Q: How many girls have stopped by my hangar?
A: ONE.

Now the extra credit question: What did she say?
A: How do I get OUT OF HERE?

Ion
0-320 Long EZ 1610 hrs.

Bulent Aliev

Over the years I have collected few of these myself from local fly in events open to the general public.
I’m not making up any of them.

* KID: Mom, why the pilots are sitting backwards?
   Mom: That’s why they have instruments. They fly by the instruments.

* A guy asked me: Sir, how come your nose gear is not there?
   I said: We remove it so someone does not steal the plane.
   He agreed that was a smart move.

* A couple was looking around my CZ and asked what is the hatch (speed brake)   on the bottom of the plane for?
   I said: As you see, we don’t have a nose wheel, so we stick our legs down and lift the plane. On takeoff, We just run Down the runway holding the plane like the Flinstones until it takes off. Than we pull in or legs an close the hatch.
They nodded their heads with understanding 😂 I’m not kidding.

* A kid asked me: what are these things (VG’s) on your wings for?
   I told them they are there to slice the bugs when we are flying. He agreed that it is a smart idea.

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 11:48 AM Ian Huss via groups.io <lisnion=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I got one:

I've been spending much of my spare time at KLMO (Longmont muni) for about 25 years now and I keep the hangar door open & invite people in when they come by to look. Often guys will come by and chat me up and if their timing is right I tell 'em: "get in, we can talk while we're flying, what was your name again?" (I think Allen Floyd might have been one of those).

Q: How many girls have stopped by my hangar?
A: ONE.

Now the extra credit question: What did she say?
A: How do I get OUT OF HERE?

Ion
0-320 Long EZ 1610 hrs.

--
Bulent Aliev
Enginegear

Tim Andres

The one I remember was late in the build but still at home, I had the garage door open working on the plane. A little girl walked by and stopped to look at it.
Did you build that?
I sure did!
It sure is pretty!
Thank you!
Then her last question, “what is it?”
That pretty much took the wind out of my sails.
Tim Andres

KEN4ZZ

Probably my favorite tongue in cheek explanation to folks at countless airshows is that since only the nose gear retracts, you can only log one hour out of every three as retractable time.

You can see it on their faces when they get it, usually in about 5 to 10 seconds, but every so often someone will get wide eyed and walk away AMAZED at such complex logging requirements.

Ken

David A Froble

You guys are awful, even if a bit funny.

Would someone be there to ask the questions, if they were not somewhat interested in aviation?

Helping them understand some things might be a better choice.

That said, I did chuckle over some of the incidents.

<http://groups.io> <lisnion=yahoo.com@groups.io
<mailto:yahoo.com@groups.io>> wrote:

I got one:

I've been spending much of my spare time at KLMO (Longmont muni) for
about 25 years now and I keep the hangar door open & invite people
in when they come by to look. Often guys will come by and chat me up
and if their timing is right I tell 'em: "get in, we can talk while
we're flying, what was your name again?" (I think Allen Floyd might
have been one of those).

Q: How many girls have stopped by my hangar?
A: ONE.

Now the extra credit question: What did she say?
A: How do I get OUT OF HERE?

Ion
0-320 Long EZ 1610 hrs.

--
Bulent Aliev
Enginegear

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Charles McDougal

I used to get lots of attention on Joe and Della LaCour’s beautiful EZ.
For example; “Isn’t that the plane John Denver died in?”
Me; “No, his is at the bottom of Monterrey Bay”. (Even if it wasn’t true).
Dark enough?
CM

On Apr 18, 2020, at 10:48 AM, Ian Huss via groups.io <lisnion@...> wrote:

I got one:

I've been spending much of my spare time at KLMO (Longmont muni) for about 25 years now and I keep the hangar door open & invite people in when they come by to look. Often guys will come by and chat me up and if their timing is right I tell 'em: "get in, we can talk while we're flying, what was your name again?" (I think Allen Floyd might have been one of those).

Q: How many girls have stopped by my hangar?
A: ONE.

Now the extra credit question: What did she say?
A: How do I get OUT OF HERE?

Ion
0-320 Long EZ 1610 hrs.

Phil Kriley

Ya mean I coulda bin loggin’ retract time all along?!? Dayum... 😂

On Apr 18, 2020, at 1:48 PM, KEN4ZZ via groups.io <ken4zz=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Probably my favorite tongue in cheek explanation to folks at countless airshows is that since only the nose gear retracts, you can only log one hour out of every three as retractable time.

You can see it on their faces when they get it, usually in about 5 to 10 seconds, but every so often someone will get wide eyed and walk away AMAZED at such complex logging requirements.

Ken

Don B

A friend stopped by with his young son to look at the plane when I was building it. The boy walked over, patted it on the nose and said “I gotta get me one of these babies”!

On Apr 18, 2020, at 10:09 AM, Tim Andres <tim2542@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

The one I remember was late in the build but still at home, I had the garage door open working on the plane. A little girl walked by and stopped to look at it.
Did you build that?
I sure did!
It sure is pretty!
Thank you!
Then her last question, “what is it?”
That pretty much took the wind out of my sails.
Tim Andres

Terry Schubert

This happened to a friend, Ken, building a Long-EZ.

He was in the process of moving into a new subdivision and had the Long-EZ without wings & canard parked in front of the garage.  It was parked nose down with the engine & prop attached.

  The carpet installers were busy and a bunch of scraps were in the driveway next to the EZ.

Some young couple drove up, stopped and silently tried to figure out what it was.

Finally the guy asked Ken, "What is it?".

Ken told him it was a hi speed carpet cutter.

The guy shook his head and said ,"Wow what will they come up with next?"

Terry Schubert
Central States Association Newsletter Editor

The one I remember was late in the build but still at home, I had the garage door open working on the plane. A little girl walked by and stopped to look at it.
Did you build that?
I sure did!
It sure is pretty!
Thank you!
Then her last question, “what is it?”
That  pretty much took the wind out of my sails.
Tim Andres

Jim Evans

One year scud running back to Virginia from RR flying low over West Virginia picking my way through there weather, I was flying airport to airport trying to find a way through. Finally had to turn back to the last airport and stay the night. When I got to the FBO of this very small airport,  the airport manager and the manager of the landfill adjacent to the airport came over and one of them said "we saw you go by here awhile ago and I turned to Oliver and said Oliver I think that feller went by here backards".

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020, 15:11 Terry Schubert <jschuber@...> wrote:
[...]

jack hohner

I was at a fly-in years ago and admiring a beautiful LongEZ.  A dad and his son ... about 8 or 9 years old, walked up to it and the boy said, "cool, a jet!"

At another fly-in I had my little sport plane I built on the display line.  It is a single seater, high wing and painted navy trainer colors ... blue with a yellow wing and big stars.  A kid about 12 was admiring it and said, "it looks like something Stewart Little would fly."  The best compliment I ever got on a plane!  (for those who do not know, Stewart Little is a cartoon mouse who drives a sports car and flies an airplane)

Jack Hohner
LongEZ
Spokane, WA

Harley Dixon

about 8 or 9 years old, walked up to it and the boy said, "cool, a jet!"

I can appreciate that comment.  Took this picture of my Long EZ when I was just getting around to putting all the parts together.  It DOES look like a jet!

"it looks like something Stewart Little would fly."

My son's former girl friend, Angela Eliasz, will appreciate that comment.   She was one of the team who did the CGI work for Stewart Little 2.

Harley

Ryszard Zadow

< about 8 or 9 years old, walked up to it and the boy said, "cool, a jet!"  >

I’ve had quite a few people approach the CozyJet and say that! 😜

RyZ

On Apr 19, 2020, at 06:18, Harley Dixon <harley@...> wrote:

about 8 or 9 years old, walked up to it and the boy said, "cool, a jet!"

Bulent Aliev

I had Miami Center question me once if I was a Jet or a Piston aircraft.  At the time I was passing by a Bonanza while climbing. It made my day :)

Bulent "Buly" Aliev
"COZY 4-2"  (DUTCH STAR 4369)

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 8:26 AM Ryszard Zadow <ryszardzadow@...> wrote:
< about 8 or 9 years old, walked up to it and the boy said, "cool, a jet!"  >

I’ve had quite a few people approach the CozyJet and say that! 😜

RyZ

On Apr 19, 2020, at 06:18, Harley Dixon <harley@...> wrote:

about 8 or 9 years old, walked up to it and the boy said, "cool, a jet!"

Greg Norman

Some may remember my story many....many yars ago. I was in the early stages of my plane build. At the time I was also restoring an old house. I hired a company that specialized in slate roofs that had eastern european employees that spoke no english. They chain smoked and pissed on the side of my house but otherwise hard workers. One day during a break they were watching me work on the plane and chatted to each other in their language. One got the courage to approach me and spoke his best english, "ees boat"?

Greg Norman

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020, 8:35 AM Bulent Aliev <bulent.enginegear@...> wrote:
I had Miami Center question me once if I was a Jet or a Piston aircraft.  At the time I was passing by a Bonanza while climbing. It made my day :)

Bulent "Buly" Aliev
"COZY 4-2"  (DUTCH STAR 4369)

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 8:26 AM Ryszard Zadow <ryszardzadow@...> wrote:
< about 8 or 9 years old, walked up to it and the boy said, "cool, a jet!"  >

I’ve had quite a few people approach the CozyJet and say that! 😜

RyZ

On Apr 19, 2020, at 06:18, Harley Dixon <harley@...> wrote:

about 8 or 9 years old, walked up to it and the boy said, "cool, a jet!"

Harley Dixon

Show off!

Harley

On 4/19/2020 8:26 AM, Ryszard Zadow wrote:
< about 8 or 9 years old, walked up to it and the boy said, "cool, a jet!"  >

I’ve had quite a few people approach the CozyJet and say that! 😜

RyZ

On Apr 19, 2020, at 06:18, Harley Dixon <harley@...> wrote:

about 8 or 9 years old, walked up to it and the boy said, "cool, a jet!"

Bob Holliston

Around 20 years ago I was headed to Denver from Hood River, OR. to go skiing with Rob Martinson. I was at 17,500' with a smoking 50 MPH tailwind (970 miles in 4 hours) and on flight following. ATC said: King Air "niner niner bravo xray" and asked a question. I said "Thanks for the complement, but we're a LongEZ, not a King Air"..

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 5:35 AM Bulent Aliev <bulent.enginegear@...> wrote:
I had Miami Center question me once if I was a Jet or a Piston aircraft.  At the time I was passing by a Bonanza while climbing. It made my day :)

Bulent "Buly" Aliev
"COZY 4-2"  (DUTCH STAR 4369)

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 8:26 AM Ryszard Zadow <ryszardzadow@...> wrote:
< about 8 or 9 years old, walked up to it and the boy said, "cool, a jet!"  >

I’ve had quite a few people approach the CozyJet and say that! 😜

RyZ

On Apr 19, 2020, at 06:18, Harley Dixon <harley@...> wrote:

about 8 or 9 years old, walked up to it and the boy said, "cool, a jet!"

--

Joe Person

Back in January of 1987, flew (Long-EZ) from Ryan Field (Tucson) to St. Johns AZ on a Sunday morning. After securing the EZ in front of the FBO, I went looking for someone in the FBO (for fuel). A guy comes running from behind the building, panicky, runs around the airplane, sees me, and runs inside. “You hurt?! How bad is the damage?! Can the nose gear be fixed?!” I assured him all was well, and he relaxed & brought the fuel truck around.