Topics

Nice Long-EZ video on FlightChops

aviationeyes

Congrats to Kyle for a nice video showing off his airshow Long-EZ on the Flightchops youtube channel. Its good to bring exposure to the type.  The type was never recommended for aerobatics, but I've seen several Vari's and Long's doing 1 G aerobatics. Harmless enough, if properly trained as Kyle obviously is.
--Jose

Bob Holliston

Jose, what are 1 G aerobatics? You exceed 1 G just pulling the nose up to do a barrel roll. A loop (or a cuban eight) is around 4 G's. EZ's are fine for "gentleman aerobatics". Not so fine for inverted flat spins, etc. LOL.

--

Dale Martin

If you want a round loop it takes 3.2 g's on the initial pull and 3.4 to 3.6 g"s to return to level flight.
I've always used a G-meter.  Great instrument to have.  Not so sure about the new electric ones.  Someone who has both - I would like to hear how well they work.

Dale
For Contact info - See Website
http://www.long-ez.com
=====================>

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 2:29 PM Bob Holliston <bob.holliston@...> wrote:
Jose, what are 1 G aerobatics? You exceed 1 G just pulling the nose up to do a barrel roll. A loop (or a cuban eight) is around 4 G's. EZ's are fine for "gentleman aerobatics". Not so fine for inverted flat spins, etc. LOL.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 1:45 PM aviationeyes <skyeyecorp@...> wrote:
Congrats to Kyle for a nice video showing off his airshow Long-EZ on the Flightchops youtube channel. Its good to bring exposure to the type.  The type was never recommended for aerobatics, but I've seen several Vari's and Long's doing 1 G aerobatics. Harmless enough, if properly trained as Kyle obviously is.
--Jose

--

Bob Holliston

Dale, awesome dude, my G meter's + needle is always 3.9 - 4.1 after a loop. It's mounted in the canopy frame. As you can see, no loops last flight. Best ever was + 6.5, minus 4.5 after inadvertently flying through a leeside rotor at high speed. (I thought the wind was blowing the other way.) My neck was sore for a week from my head hitting the canopy. The next day I left for a R.A.C.E. race and didn't reset the G meter. I showed it to Doug Shane (A big wheel at Scaled and the official starter at the races) and told him the story.  He explained to me that I had actually pulled more G's than that. He explained why but I really didn't understand so just shook my head yes. He said, "Bob, stay away from those leeside rotors". I agreed.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 2:35 PM Dale Martin <Niceez@...> wrote:
[...]

Ok, ok , I was casually thinking "gentleman aerobatics". So what is the perceived g load on the top of a well executed barrel roll? Should feel the same as in level flight (1G),no?
--Jose.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020, at 5:29 PM, Bob Holliston wrote:
Jose, what are 1 G aerobatics? You exceed 1 G just pulling the nose up to do a barrel roll. A loop (or a cuban eight) is around 4 G's. EZ's are fine for "gentleman aerobatics". Not so fine for inverted flat spins, etc. LOL.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 1:45 PM aviationeyes <skyeyecorp@...> wrote:

Congrats to Kyle for a nice video showing off his airshow Long-EZ on the Flightchops youtube channel. Its good to bring exposure to the type.  The type was never recommended for aerobatics, but I've seen several Vari's and Long's doing 1 G aerobatics. Harmless enough, if properly trained as Kyle obviously is.
--Jose

Bob Holliston

Jose, that's exactly right, A barrel roll is 1 G all the way around if done properly after the pull up and you can't "feel" it. When my wife was more enthusiastic about flying with me than she is now, on cross country's I'd practice barrel rolls while she was sleeping in the back seat. Wouldn't wake her up either. A way to "cheat" is to push forward on the stick (progressively) as you go inverted so you're (almost but not quite) going negative. That way you don't have to pull the nose up as far and finish the roll less nose down. When my niece was going through the Air Force Academy she belonged to the glider club but had never flown a powered plane. When she was home on leave in summer I'd take her flying. After some practice she could do rolls from the back seat just as good as I could from the front. Now she flies C 140 (Super Herc's)  over the Atlantic refueling fighters on their way to Yerp. In the photo I AM going negative but I have a flop tube in the sump for inverted flight.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 8:22 PM aviationeyes <skyeyecorp@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bob, If I ever get up to your neck of the woods, I'll beg you for a ride in your plane for gentle aerobatics. I'm too chicken to do by myself!
--Jose

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020, at 10:54 AM, Bob Holliston wrote:
[...]

Attachments:
  • upside down.png

--

Bob Holliston