Topics

COZY: Long EZ and Cozy plans brake question.

kent ashton

The Cleveland “Heavy Duty” >2200 lbs brakes recommended in the plans for the Cozy IV were the #199-152 kit here
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/cleve_heavydutywb.php

Yeah, the rotors were thicker than the usual EZ. Something like 3/8” vs 1/4”. Not really adequate for a Cozy IV but good for an EZ and a little less fiddly to maintain than Matcos.
-Kent

On Jul 26, 2020, at 12:50 PM, Del Schier <cozypilot@...> wrote:

I have been helping a friend that purchased a nice EZ. I just flew it for him for the second time this morning. I actually like flying it better than my Cozy except the cabin air vent is almost useless here in FL.

We are both wondering if the brakes are OK. I took the Cleveland brakes off my Cozy and put Matco’s on but my old Cozy Clevelands have much thicker rotors; about twice as thick as his EZ. I thought the original plans brakes for the Cozy were the same as an EZ and the same thing as on a Cessna 150; is that not correct? The numbers are long gone off of both sets of Clevelands so it is hard to look up the minimum thickness.

We think the EZ brakes have .163” for minimum rotor thickness. My old work Cozy discs read about .340”

Thanks in advance for any help.

Del Schier
Cozy IV N197DL
Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

Marc J. Zeitlin

Paul Roberts wrote:

Here are the Cleveland brakes on my cozy (under construction). Identification tags still fresh. I measured the thickness of the rotor as 3/8 thick. Are these brakes not good enough for a cozy 4?

25 years worth of COZY mailing list archives are replete with discussions of brake issues.

While the original Cleveland brakes on the Long-EZ were acceptable, the heavy duty Clevelands are more than acceptable from an energy absorption standpoint for Long-EZ's, particularly since very few LE's pay attention to the MGW limits imposed by Burt in the POH. They're also acceptable for COZY III's at 1500 - 1600 lb. MGW.

However, with the extra weight of the COZY MKIV, even at the BOOK value of 2050 lb (which exactly zero COZY MKIV's come in at or under, including mine - most are in the 2150n - 2250 range, with a not insubstantial number even higher) even the heavy duty Clevelands that you show (and the equivalent Groves) are inadequate in emergency situations. They're OK for standard ops - they'll stop you during taxiing and in normal landings without overheating, they won't boil the fluid and they have reasonable torque values.

BUT, in an aborted takeoff at high DA's (and depending upon weight, lower DA's), you WILL exceed the energy capacity of the brakes and risk brake fade and overheating (read, strut damage). Given that you want to stop the plane before running off the end of the runway in an aborted takeoff, well, having brakes that don't fade is important.

Does this happen often? No. Has it happened? Yes. Is it a risk and something to think about? Yes. There are two MFG's of 5.00 x 5 wheels and brakes that meet the energy absorption capacity requirements of an MGW COZY  MKIV at higher DA's (which lead to higher GS's at the same IAS). These are the MATCO triple puck brakes, and as of a few years ago, the new Beringer High Energy wheels/brakes.

Most COZY MKIV's do not have MATCO brakes, but a substantial percentage do (as does mine and the other MKIV in my shop now). If I had $3500 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd replace my MATCO's with Beringers as a test and to save some weight. But I don't...

Ron Springer

The upgrade kit to turn 199-102 brakes (0.187” rotors) into 199-156 brakes (0.3” rotors) is 199-093 and runs over $700 at Aircraft Spruce. This might be what Dell needs.

I made my own upgrade kit by buying two Rapco rotors, making my own spacers, and buying longer caliper bolts. It is new and sitting here still because due to other issues with my Cleveland wheels I just bought a whole new set of Groves.

I will sell the new Rapco rotors for half price and throw in the homemade spacers for free if anyone wants them.

Ron

On Jul 26, 2020, at 9:03 PM, Orr <david@...> wrote:

Too big for the Long EZ - there was/may be a Cleveland upgrade kit but Cleveland prices have skyrocketed.

David Orr