Arduino experts


josrph berki
 

Hi,

I started a project a couple of years ago using Arduino mega board for an engine monitor.

I required an engine monitor that could provide the information to support a rotary engine.

The parameters that I needed were oil temp and pressure, water temp and pressure, 2 EGTs, fuel pressure, delta P for oil cooler delta P for radiator ( lets you know if you have air flow through the rads), Tach, fuel level left right.  I was able to get the equations for the temp and pressure sensors and had it running.  The inspiration to attempt this was the 4DSystems display modules that had software that permitted one to create all types of gauges and graphic displays and was free on line.  My question, IS THERE ANYONE THAT CAN REVIEW MY CODE as a second pair of eyes to help me write efficient programs?  After looking at several versions of the code and upgrading to a 7” display I need to go back and simulate the inputs to verify the program that will ultimately be in the plane. I am having trouble with the Tach code as it uses interrupt commands that scare me as a novice code writer.   Appreciate any input.

 

Joe Berki

Limo EZ


Saro Marcarian
 

Joe-

I'd be willing to check it out.  Is your code checked into a git style repo or ??

-Saro

On Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 12:40:23 PM PDT, josrph berki <jskmberki@...> wrote:






Hi,
I started a project a couple of years ago using Arduino mega board for an engine monitor.
I required an engine monitor that could provide the information to support a rotary engine.
The parameters that I needed were oil temp and pressure, water temp and pressure, 2 EGTs, fuel pressure, delta P for oil cooler delta P for radiator ( lets you know if you have air flow through the rads), Tach, fuel level left right.  I was able to get the equations for the temp and pressure sensors and had it running.  The inspiration to attempt this was the 4DSystems display modules that had software that permitted one to create all types of gauges and graphic displays and was free on line.  My question, IS THERE ANYONE THAT CAN REVIEW MY CODE as a second pair of eyes to help me write efficient programs?  After looking at several versions of the code and upgrading to a 7” display I need to go back and simulate the inputs to verify the program that will ultimately be in the plane. I am having trouble with the Tach code as it uses interrupt commands that scare me as a novice code writer.   Appreciate any input.
 
Joe Berki
Limo EZ


josrph berki
 

Saro,

My code is just what I was able to put together on my one with help from researching other projects on line. Don't know what git style repo is. I need to go through the program one more time with the 7" display and then let people see if there is a better way.

Joe Berki

-----Original Message-----
From: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io <canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io> On Behalf Of Saro Marcarian via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 4:11 PM
To: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io
Subject: Re: [c-a] Arduino experts

Joe-

I'd be willing to check it out. Is your code checked into a git style repo or ??

-Saro






On Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 12:40:23 PM PDT, josrph berki <jskmberki@...> wrote:






Hi,
I started a project a couple of years ago using Arduino mega board for an engine monitor.
I required an engine monitor that could provide the information to support a rotary engine.
The parameters that I needed were oil temp and pressure, water temp and pressure, 2 EGTs, fuel pressure, delta P for oil cooler delta P for radiator ( lets you know if you have air flow through the rads), Tach, fuel level left right. I was able to get the equations for the temp and pressure sensors and had it running. The inspiration to attempt this was the 4DSystems display modules that had software that permitted one to create all types of gauges and graphic displays and was free on line. My question, IS THERE ANYONE THAT CAN REVIEW MY CODE as a second pair of eyes to help me write efficient programs? After looking at several versions of the code and upgrading to a 7” display I need to go back and simulate the inputs to verify the program that will ultimately be in the plane. I am having trouble with the Tach code as it uses interrupt commands that scare me as a novice code writer. Appreciate any input.

Joe Berki
Limo EZ


David A Froble
 

On 9/22/2020 3:39 PM, josrph berki wrote:
Hi,

I started a project a couple of years ago using Arduino mega board for
an engine monitor.

I required an engine monitor that could provide the information to
support a rotary engine.

The parameters that I needed were oil temp and pressure, water temp and
pressure, 2 EGTs, fuel pressure, delta P for oil cooler delta P for
radiator ( lets you know if you have air flow through the rads), Tach,
fuel level left right. I was able to get the equations for the temp and
pressure sensors and had it running. The inspiration to attempt this
was the 4DSystems display modules that had software that permitted one
to create all types of gauges and graphic displays and was free on
line. My question, IS THERE ANYONE THAT CAN REVIEW MY CODE as a second
pair of eyes to help me write efficient programs? After looking at
several versions of the code and upgrading to a 7” display I need to go
back and simulate the inputs to verify the program that will ultimately
be in the plane. I am having trouble with the Tach code as it uses
interrupt commands that scare me as a novice code writer. Appreciate
any input.
What language?

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486


josrph berki
 

David,
I am using the Arduino IDE which is I believe a modified C code

Joe Berki

-----Original Message-----
From: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io <canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io> On Behalf Of David A Froble
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 8:16 PM
To: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io
Subject: Re: [c-a] Arduino experts



On 9/22/2020 3:39 PM, josrph berki wrote:
Hi,

I started a project a couple of years ago using Arduino mega board for
an engine monitor.

I required an engine monitor that could provide the information to
support a rotary engine.

The parameters that I needed were oil temp and pressure, water temp
and pressure, 2 EGTs, fuel pressure, delta P for oil cooler delta P
for radiator ( lets you know if you have air flow through the rads),
Tach, fuel level left right. I was able to get the equations for the
temp and pressure sensors and had it running. The inspiration to
attempt this was the 4DSystems display modules that had software that
permitted one to create all types of gauges and graphic displays and
was free on line. My question, IS THERE ANYONE THAT CAN REVIEW MY
CODE as a second pair of eyes to help me write efficient programs?
After looking at several versions of the code and upgrading to a 7”
display I need to go back and simulate the inputs to verify the
program that will ultimately be in the plane. I am having trouble with the Tach code as it uses
interrupt commands that scare me as a novice code writer. Appreciate
any input.
What language?

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486


David A Froble
 

On 9/23/2020 7:02 AM, josrph berki wrote:
David,
I am using the Arduino IDE which is I believe a modified C code

Joe Berki
I don't do C. Can't even read it very well.

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486


David K
 

Arduino code is actually not bad to read at all.  If you know any programming languages, then most of it should be recognizable.  

David Kissick
Cozy Mark IV
N5789Z
Chapter 3 (again) - Shop Build
http://www.cozyserenity.net


On Wednesday, September 23, 2020, 07:25:11 AM PDT, David A Froble <davef@...> wrote:




On 9/23/2020 7:02 AM, josrph berki wrote:
> David,
> I am using the Arduino IDE which is I believe a modified C code
>
> Joe Berki

I don't do C.  Can't even read it very well.

--
David Froble                      Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc.      E-Mail: davef@...
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA  15486






jack hohner
 

Joe:

The beauty of the Arduino products is that there is an unlimited availability of code examples on the internet.  And there are expert programmers on discussion groups with evidently time on there hands who will look at your code and give advice.  There should be examples of the code you need for every sensor you are using.  I have copied and pasted lots of code for Arduino projects.  There are also lots of books written specifically for Arduino.  You can bread board your Arduino and sensors and test it on your computer until it works.  The beauty of the Arduino compiler is its great at pointing out code errors.  Not like in the old days when you had to examine every line of code to find where you goofed up.  Still it takes a lot of trial and error.  It only seems difficult at first.  Even interrupts.  Google your sensor until you find an example.  Someone out there has used your same sensors with Arduino and posted their code.

Good luck

Jack Hohner
LongEZ
Spokane, WA


jack hohner
 

Joe:

You query got me thinking.  Reading your tach sensor with interrupts should be no problem.  However, outputting tach data to your display may foul you up.  You probably know this, but I will add it anyway.  Don't use delay() when outputting to leds, buzzers, displays.  This is often used by "novices" to slow down the output to make it readable.  Using delay() would certainly mess up your interrupt read.  Use millis() instead.  It will allow you to use the clock as a timer for your output without pausing any functions.

Jack Hohner
LongEZ
Spokane, WA


cozygirrrl
 

Agree with Jack completely only use delay when you want to intentionally slow your whole program down. 
...Chrissi


On Sep 23, 2020, at 11:25 AM, jack hohner via groups.io <axama@...> wrote:


Joe:

You query got me thinking.  Reading your tach sensor with interrupts should be no problem.  However, outputting tach data to your display may foul you up.  You probably know this, but I will add it anyway.  Don't use delay() when outputting to leds, buzzers, displays.  This is often used by "novices" to slow down the output to make it readable.  Using delay() would certainly mess up your interrupt read.  Use millis() instead.  It will allow you to use the clock as a timer for your output without pausing any functions.

Jack Hohner
LongEZ
Spokane, WA


cozygirrrl
 

Love the 4d sys displays!

On Sep 22, 2020, at 5:46 PM, josrph berki <jskmberki@...> wrote:

Saro,

My code is just what I was able to put together on my one with help from researching other projects on line. Don't know what git style repo is. I need to go through the program one more time with the 7" display and then let people see if there is a better way.

Joe Berki

-----Original Message-----
From: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io <canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io> On Behalf Of Saro Marcarian via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 4:11 PM
To: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io
Subject: Re: [c-a] Arduino experts

Joe-

I'd be willing to check it out. Is your code checked into a git style repo or ??

-Saro






On Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 12:40:23 PM PDT, josrph berki <jskmberki@...> wrote:






Hi,
I started a project a couple of years ago using Arduino mega board for an engine monitor.
I required an engine monitor that could provide the information to support a rotary engine.
The parameters that I needed were oil temp and pressure, water temp and pressure, 2 EGTs, fuel pressure, delta P for oil cooler delta P for radiator ( lets you know if you have air flow through the rads), Tach, fuel level left right. I was able to get the equations for the temp and pressure sensors and had it running. The inspiration to attempt this was the 4DSystems display modules that had software that permitted one to create all types of gauges and graphic displays and was free on line. My question, IS THERE ANYONE THAT CAN REVIEW MY CODE as a second pair of eyes to help me write efficient programs? After looking at several versions of the code and upgrading to a 7” display I need to go back and simulate the inputs to verify the program that will ultimately be in the plane. I am having trouble with the Tach code as it uses interrupt commands that scare me as a novice code writer. Appreciate any input.

Joe Berki
Limo EZ













kennethhayes@...
 

I can read C++ code (Arduino). I enjoy Arduino projects. It has been mentioned and is very true that many arduino sketches (programs) can be found for online. Probably would be relevant to know what you are displaying on and  what your sensors are or at least analog or digital and they’re range of output. This would specify what pins on the Mega would need to be used and this correctly called out in the code. Unless it’s done for you, I’m thinking you’ll have to know the ohm or voltage changes for zero, half and full deflection on each sensor in order to know what to write in the code. (I.e. for an expected value of half to be relevant you need to know what the sensor output is at 1/2. (Temp pressure or tach it really doesn’t matter. Temp is usually a change in ohms over the range, tach you might need to use the PWM input port on the arduino depending on how the sensor outputs data. You could use a homemade light sensor or magnet sensor from parts out of a salvaged printer or something canned off the shelf with the information on the installation instructions.

If I were starting a new project, I would isolate each sensor and verify functionality with each segment of code, before pulling them all together. This way you can remove unknowns one at a time while also getting more familiar with the code.  


Obviously, I’m not sure where you're at in the process, so I hope I haven’t insulted you. It’s just when dealing with arduino anything is possible which can make things infinitely more complicated. 


hope this helps,

--
Kenneth
In Central Oregon (KRDM) looking for a project