Popular Mechanics Advertisement for VariEze

yahrh2002

....or in PDF (same resolution) for those so inclined

yahrh2002

A 'just readable' screen capture of the original article from Popular Science November 1978 for those interested:

John Nate

There are a few listed on eBay for <$10.  It's actually the November 1978 issue, not 1979.

John Nate

Steve Rothert

My Dad got Popular Mechanics and I think at one time, there was a story in an issue, about the Vari-Viggen.

Steve

Izzy

Nice find! I’ll see if I can score a hard copy at one of the fly markets this summer and look for the RAF ad rumored to be in the back.

Izzy
(603)410-7277

On Dec 2, 2021, at 16:36, Dale Martin <niceez@...> wrote:

Izzy,

Found it.   Nov79 issue

Dale
http://www.long-ez.com
=====================>

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 11:22 PM Izzy via groups.io <inbriggs=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
In speaking with a number of builders over the years, including my father, I've become aware of an advertisement that inspired many folks to consider building a Rutan VariEze while pursuing the back pages of the magazine Popular Mechanics back in the 70's and early 80's.

If someone out there has an old copy and is able to take a photo of this advertisement and send it out, I would appreciate it. I'd like to add an image of it to the COBA Archives, but I can't seem to find it (or them if there were multiple versions) anywhere.

Izzy
(603)410-7277

Dale Martin

Izzy,

Found it.   Nov79 issue

Dale
http://www.long-ez.com
=====================>

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 11:22 PM Izzy via groups.io <inbriggs=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
In speaking with a number of builders over the years, including my father, I've become aware of an advertisement that inspired many folks to consider building a Rutan VariEze while pursuing the back pages of the magazine Popular Mechanics back in the 70's and early 80's.

If someone out there has an old copy and is able to take a photo of this advertisement and send it out, I would appreciate it. I'd like to add an image of it to the COBA Archives, but I can't seem to find it (or them if there were multiple versions) anywhere.

Izzy
(603)410-7277

Dale Martin

The ad I remember was VEZ on a round pad in front of a house.  The pad had lights all around it aimed at the VEZ.
Can't remember if it was an ad or a cover.  I will have to ask Burt.

Dale
http://www.long-ez.com
=====================>

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 11:22 PM Izzy via groups.io <inbriggs=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
In speaking with a number of builders over the years, including my father, I've become aware of an advertisement that inspired many folks to consider building a Rutan VariEze while pursuing the back pages of the magazine Popular Mechanics back in the 70's and early 80's.

If someone out there has an old copy and is able to take a photo of this advertisement and send it out, I would appreciate it. I'd like to add an image of it to the COBA Archives, but I can't seem to find it (or them if there were multiple versions) anywhere.

Izzy
(603)410-7277

Bulent Aliev

Izzi,
I remember it. It was a Q2 parked with the red sunset behind it. That's the one that got me dreaming about canards......I was just a new refugee from behind the Iron Curtain then. 40 years flew by in a flash :)

Bulent "Buly" Aliev
"COZY 4-2"  (DUTCH STAR 4369)