What Price Speed?

Marc J. Zeitlin

Folks:

Just wanted to point people to a good article (with 100LL prices now around $7/gal) by Mike Busch in AOPA Pilot Magazine, August, 2022, page 84, about flying for maximum efficiency. He discusses best endurance speed, best L/D speed, and Carson speed, with some graphs. He also debunks (again) a few OWT's, of which there seem to be many in aviation.

Highly recommend it.

Izzy

$9.50 a gallon at ENJB. Makes you almost want to go on just one engine.

Izzy
(603)410-7277

On Jul 12, 2022, at 20:50, Marc J. Zeitlin <marc_zeitlin@...> wrote:

Folks:

Just wanted to point people to a good article (with 100LL prices now around $7/gal) by Mike Busch in AOPA Pilot Magazine, August, 2022, page 84, about flying for maximum efficiency. He discusses best endurance speed, best L/D speed, and Carson speed, with some graphs. He also debunks (again) a few OWT's, of which there seem to be many in aviation.

Highly recommend it.

Ryszard Zadow

I don’t complain about the price of gas, I just go fly.  Avgas is the cheapest component of airplane ownership. 😁
RZ

On Jul 12, 2022, at 20:35, Izzy via groups.io <inbriggs@...> wrote:

$9.50 a gallon at ENJB. Makes you almost want to go on just one engine.

Izzy
(603)410-7277

On Jul 12, 2022, at 20:50, Marc J. Zeitlin <marc_zeitlin@...> wrote:

Folks:

Just wanted to point people to a good article (with 100LL prices now around $7/gal) by Mike Busch in AOPA Pilot Magazine, August, 2022, page 84, about flying for maximum efficiency. He discusses best endurance speed, best L/D speed, and Carson speed, with some graphs. He also debunks (again) a few OWT's, of which there seem to be many in aviation.

Highly recommend it.

KEN4ZZ

Hey Izzy-

To save fuel you could always follow the Voyager example:  Take off using BOTH engines, then once at cruise altitude and the flight testing data says it is time, shut one of 'em down.  Again, just sayin'  😛   😉  .

Ken

On 7/12/2022 8:35 PM, Izzy via groups.io wrote:

$9.50 a gallon at ENJB. Makes you almost want to go on just one engine.

Izzy
(603)410-7277

On Jul 12, 2022, at 20:50, Marc J. Zeitlin <marc_zeitlin@...> wrote:

Folks:

Just wanted to point people to a good article (with 100LL prices now around $7/gal) by Mike Busch in AOPA Pilot Magazine, August, 2022, page 84, about flying for maximum efficiency. He discusses best endurance speed, best L/D speed, and Carson speed, with some graphs. He also debunks (again) a few OWT's, of which there seem to be many in aviation.

Highly recommend it.

Izzy

It’s $15 a gallon at BIEG. lets see….57.5 gallons per strake, plus another 33 for the extended range tank….148 gallons@$15 per = $2,200….

Time to cut the winglets down by 1/3 and wax the naca scoops.

Izzy
(603)410-7277

On Jul 13, 2022, at 07:47, KEN4ZZ via groups.io <ken4zz@...> wrote:

[...]

That is very true. I think the most expensive part is all the stuff I have to concede to my wife to balance the “fairness” scales.

Izzy
(603)410-7277