Accessory Tubes

Keith Spreuer

I have a new and significant oil leak. I haven't confirmed yet but think it is coming from a port on the accessory case just left(airplane left) of the oil filter adapter. I attempted to plug this port with a plastic cap and suspect that cracked. This port has no threads and I have no idea what it is for. Question what is it for? Should it be plugged? How? If you don't  know from this description I send photos later

skovbjerg

Can you sneak your phone in there and get a pic for us ?
I do not know of any open and un-treaded holes anywhere on the engine
Jay

On Sep 19, 2021, at 09:07, Keith Spreuer <kspreuer@...> wrote:

I have a new and significant oil leak. I haven't confirmed yet but think it is coming from a port on the accessory case just left(airplane left) of the oil filter adapter. I attempted to plug this port with a plastic cap and suspect that cracked. This port has no threads and I have no idea what it is for. Question what is it for? Should it be plugged? How? If you don't  know from this description I send photos later

Tim Andres

Keith, like Jay I cant think of any unthreaded port back there. The oil temp port has machine threads, the tach drive has male machine threads, all else is NPT. 
The temp port takes a AN crush washer, the tach drive should have a seal around the shaft and/or have a cap on it.  
And as Matt mentioned and Im sure you know, oil can appear in strange locations far from the actual leak.
Do you have a Casper labs or B&C filter adapter on it?
Tim Andres

On Sep 19, 2021, at 10:06 AM, Keith Spreuer <kspreuer@...> wrote:

Keith Spreuer

Here is a photo of the port I'm talking about
Keith

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021, 11:41 AM Tim Andres <tim2542@...> wrote:

Keith, like Jay I cant think of any unthreaded port back there. The oil temp port has machine threads, the tach drive has male machine threads, all else is NPT. 
The temp port takes a AN crush washer, the tach drive should have a seal around the shaft and/or have a cap on it.  
And as Matt mentioned and Im sure you know, oil can appear in strange locations far from the actual leak.
Tim Andres

Keith Spreuer

Ok found the leak while running the engine. It was not that port. It was a cover I put over the prop gov pad. That port seems to be a second vent port. so left it as is. Will wait for gasket seal to cure and run again.
Thanks All

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021, 12:02 PM Keith Spreuer via groups.io <kspreuer=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Here is a photo of the port I'm talking about
Keith
On Sun, Sep 19, 2021, 11:41 AM Tim Andres <tim2542@...> wrote:

Tim Andres