Accessory Tubes

Keith Spreuer

I have a new and significant oil leak. I haven't confirmed yet but think it is coming from a port on the accessory case just left(airplane left) of the oil filter adapter. I attempted to plug this port with a plastic cap and suspect that cracked. This port has no threads and I have no idea what it is for. Question what is it for? Should it be plugged? How? If you don't  know from this description I send photos later

skovbjerg

Can you sneak your phone in there and get a pic for us ?
I do not know of any open and un-treaded holes anywhere on the engine
Jay

On Sep 19, 2021, at 09:07, Keith Spreuer <kspreuer@...> wrote:

I have a new and significant oil leak. I haven't confirmed yet but think it is coming from a port on the accessory case just left(airplane left) of the oil filter adapter. I attempted to plug this port with a plastic cap and suspect that cracked. This port has no threads and I have no idea what it is for. Question what is it for? Should it be plugged? How? If you don't  know from this description I send photos later

Tim Andres

Keith, like Jay I cant think of any unthreaded port back there. The oil temp port has machine threads, the tach drive has male machine threads, all else is NPT.
The temp port takes a AN crush washer, the tach drive should have a seal around the shaft and/or have a cap on it.
And as Matt mentioned and Im sure you know, oil can appear in strange locations far from the actual leak.
Do you have a Casper labs or B&C filter adapter on it?
Tim Andres

On Sep 19, 2021, at 10:06 AM, Keith Spreuer <kspreuer@...> wrote:

I have a new and significant oil leak. I haven't confirmed yet but think it is coming from a port on the accessory case just left(airplane left) of the oil filter adapter. I attempted to plug this port with a plastic cap and suspect that cracked. This port has no threads and I have no idea what it is for. Question what is it for? Should it be plugged? How? If you don't  know from this description I send photos later

Keith Spreuer

Here is a photo of the port I'm talking about
Keith

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021, 11:41 AM Tim Andres <tim2542@...> wrote:

[...]

Ok found the leak while running the engine. It was not that port. It was a cover I put over the prop gov pad. That port seems to be a second vent port. so left it as is. Will wait for gasket seal to cure and run again.
Thanks All