Topics

Aging pilots

Marc

Just curious.

How many LongEZ pilots are out there who are over 86 years old and still flying their bird.  I can still get into my LongEZ without using a walker.

Or you can broaden that to canard pilots.

I belong to a group called UFO (Union of Flying Octogenarians)

Stand up and be counted.

Thanks,

Marc Borom

jerry hardesty <horselover93103@...>

Marc,

    I will be 86 in September. Flying N211LE aka "Skylark".

Jerry Hardesty

On Monday, June 22, 2020, 7:45:54 AM PDT, Marc <borommarc@...> wrote:

Just curious.

How many LongEZ pilots are out there who are over 86 years old and still flying their bird.  I can still get into my LongEZ without using a walker.

Or you can broaden that to canard pilots.

I belong to a group called UFO (Union of Flying Octogenarians)

Stand up and be counted.

Thanks,

Marc Borom

Del Schier

Well I am 74 and I can still get in and out of my Cozy with the gear down, nose up; but many of my airpark neighbors say they don’t think they could fly with me because they couldn’t get in the Cozy.

Flying it I do realize I cannot usually see traffic 2 miles away when ATC or my ADS-B says there is traffic; otherwise I do think I can fly it safely.

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

How many LongEZ pilots are out there who are over 86 years old and still flying their bird.  I can still get into my LongEZ without using a walker.

Or you can broaden that to canard pilots.

I belong to a group called UFO (Union of Flying Octogenarians)

Stand up and be counted.

Thanks,

Marc Borom

Mike Tooze

Hey Marc, that's very well done!
I'm nowhere near that yet.  Just a stripling by comparison.
But I must admit to a special birthday two weeks ago last Sunday where my daughter and her partner came in from France.  (We physically distanced as required BTW.)
Clue - there were four candles on my cake...
I can still hop into my VE but prefer the step or even if no one is looking a stool which I leave by doing a tight 90 deg turn watching out for the prop.;^)
Did a bit of classical hydro this year too.

What worries me is the lack of guys/gals who are capable/willing to build/fly our wonderful mounts.
Come in Ryz.
Mike T

On Monday, 22 June 2020, 15:45:56 BST, Marc <borommarc@...> wrote:

Just curious.

How many LongEZ pilots are out there who are over 86 years old and still flying their bird.  I can still get into my LongEZ without using a walker.

Or you can broaden that to canard pilots.

I belong to a group called UFO (Union of Flying Octogenarians)

Stand up and be counted.

Thanks,

Marc Borom

Marc

Good show, Jerry.  I am assuming that your serial number is 211.  Mine is 966.

How long did it take you to build it?  Took me 4.5 years.

I plan on flying until I no longer can.  At least until 90, if I make it that far.  Eighty-six no longer seems so old.

Thanks for replying.

Join UFO.  They have a great hat.

Blue skies,

Marc Borom

N966EZ, Tucson, AZ

    I will be 86 in September. Flying N211LE aka "Skylark".

Jerry Hardesty

On Monday, June 22, 2020, 7:45:54 AM PDT, Marc <borommarc@...> wrote:

Just curious.

How many LongEZ pilots are out there who are over 86 years old and still flying their bird.  I can still get into my LongEZ without using a walker.

Or you can broaden that to canard pilots.

I belong to a group called UFO (Union of Flying Octogenarians)

Stand up and be counted.

Thanks,

Marc Borom

jerry hardesty <horselover93103@...>

Marc,

    I did not build it. I bought it about 14 years ago. I flew it for 7 years and parked it with the intent of rebuilding parts of it. I rebuilt the turtle deck, one wing, and strengthened the fuselage, then I started flying other aircraft. Now with the last one sold, I am in the process of refinishing it so I can repaint it. I plan to fly it for the remainder of my time on earth.

Jerry

On Monday, June 22, 2020, 12:55:41 PM PDT, Marc <borommarc@...> wrote:

[...]

SIMON JANVRIN

I am 75. I have just got to the last page of Chapter 19 (bolting the wings to the spar in case you have forgotten). It’s now a bare knuckle ride to the end, I think......

Keep dodging the bugs.....

Bill Allen

I’m not far behind you Simon, at 70.

One of the most disconcerting thing about this whole “Sport Aviation”/Experimental/Homebuilding thing is the lack of any young people anywhere involved. Maybe it’s just the aviation circles I mix in.
Whilst I respect and admire my fellow journeymen aviator engineers, I feel that as we shuffle off our mortal coils, there will be few to replace us.....

Bill Allen

--

Dave Harvey

Was 74 this April. Flying Long EZ about twice a month in Virginia. Best ageist therapy I can think of...

Don Herzstein

I'm 83, been flying 61 years, recently passed my regular flight physical.  I promised my wife that I would try to have another pilot with me when I fly ( but don't always succeed ).  My airplane "Calypso" is a Cozy IV that I completed and first flew in 2004. It's tough loving flying and outliving many of my classmates, mates and friends but it beats the alternative.  While I am not the pilot or man that I was 20 years ago I am good enough!  Don Herzstein

On Jun 23, 2020 12:36 PM, "SIMON JANVRIN via groups.io" <simonjanvrin=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

> I am 75. I have just got to the last page of Chapter 19 (bolting the wings to the spar in case you have forgotten). It’s now a bare knuckle ride to the end, I think......
>
> Keep dodging the bugs.....
>
> Simon
>

> Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad
> _._,_._,_
>
> _._,_._,

Keith Spreuer

You should joint the Octogenarian club

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020, 6:58 PM Don Herzstein <herzstein@...> wrote:
I'm 83, been flying 61 years, recently passed my regular flight physical.  I promised my wife that I would try to have another pilot with me when I fly ( but don't always succeed ).  My airplane "Calypso" is a Cozy IV that I completed and first flew in 2004. It's tough loving flying and outliving many of my classmates, mates and friends but it beats the alternative.  While I am not the pilot or man that I was 20 years ago I am good enough!  Don Herzstein

On Jun 23, 2020 12:36 PM, "SIMON JANVRIN via groups.io" <simonjanvrin=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

> I am 75. I have just got to the last page of Chapter 19 (bolting the wings to the spar in case you have forgotten). It’s now a bare knuckle ride to the end, I think......
>
> Keep dodging the bugs.....
>
> Simon
>

> Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Glenn Charles

The aging thing is a bug I never anticipated !!!!

It just came outta the woodwork ! But it's for real and it's permanent !

Best hope is to look to other interests.  Also, prepare for the future !

Are you ready to meet your maker ? It's inevitable ! !!!  There's no cure for it, . . . Save one ! !!!  The SAVIOR !!!  The bible says " it is appointed unto man once to die, and then comes the judgement !
There is NO. SUCH. THING. AS. PURGATORY !!!!!  It is a lie from the Devil.  The only hope is to trust in the FINISHED work of Jesus on the cross.  ( No works required ).  In fact, ANY works banked on eliminates any chance of salvation . It's only by His GRACE !  But it's free ! So why would anyone choose any other ? !!!!

But as for the youth, yes, it's scary how few there are to replace us. I encourage and give rides at every chance, but the cost is inhibiting !

Glennbob

On Jun 23, 2020, at 9:16 PM, Keith Spreuer <kspreuer@...> wrote:

You should joint the Octogenarian club

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020, 6:58 PM Don Herzstein <herzstein@...> wrote:
I'm 83, been flying 61 years, recently passed my regular flight physical.  I promised my wife that I would try to have another pilot with me when I fly ( but don't always succeed ).  My airplane "Calypso" is a Cozy IV that I completed and first flew in 2004. It's tough loving flying and outliving many of my classmates, mates and friends but it beats the alternative.  While I am not the pilot or man that I was 20 years ago I am good enough!  Don Herzstein

On Jun 23, 2020 12:36 PM, "SIMON JANVRIN via groups.io" <simonjanvrin=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

> I am 75. I have just got to the last page of Chapter 19 (bolting the wings to the spar in case you have forgotten). It’s now a bare knuckle ride to the end, I think......
>
> Keep dodging the bugs.....
>
> Simon
>

> Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Marc

Simon,

Great!  You’re on Chap 19.  That means that you are about 19% done, and you’ve got many years left.

Don’t be discouraged.  The closer you get to the end, the more enthusiastic you will become.

Wait until you are looking over the canard down that long, bare runway

that your bird has never experienced over 60 kts.

A few more kts and you will be AIRBORN.

What a rush.

Never tried the other, but it’s got to beat crack.

Marc Borom

I am 75. I have just got to the last page of Chapter 19 (bolting the wings to the spar in case you have forgotten). It’s now a bare knuckle ride to the end, I think......

Keep dodging the bugs.....

Marc

Hey Del,

Don’t be discouraged.  I am convinced that ADSB is FAKE NEWS.  I can never find the indicated target, but I do try and respect the FAKE information.  There was one case where I saw that I was on a collision course with an aircraft approaching in my front, port quadrant.  I gained 1000 feet in altitude and the target was shown to pass directly beneath me.  I often wondered whether the other pilot ever saw my position.

Blue Skies,

Marc

How many LongEZ pilots are out there who are over 86 years old and still flying their bird.  I can still get into my LongEZ without using a walker.

Or you can broaden that to canard pilots.

I belong to a group called UFO (Union of Flying Octogenarians)

Stand up and be counted.

Thanks,

Marc Borom

Marc

Hi Jerry,

Welcome aboard the octogenarian fleet.  At least I have a couple of months on you.

Blue Skies,

Marc

    I will be 86 in September. Flying N211LE aka "Skylark".

Jerry Hardesty

On Monday, June 22, 2020, 7:45:54 AM PDT, Marc <borommarc@...> wrote:

Just curious.

How many LongEZ pilots are out there who are over 86 years old and still flying their bird.  I can still get into my LongEZ without using a walker.

Or you can broaden that to canard pilots.

I belong to a group called UFO (Union of Flying Octogenarians)

Stand up and be counted.

Thanks,

Marc Borom

Kevin R. Walsh

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 1:30 PM Bill Allen <billallensworld@...> wrote:
One of the most disconcerting thing about this whole “Sport Aviation”/Experimental/Homebuilding thing is the lack of any young people anywhere involved. Maybe it’s just the aviation circles I mix in.
Whilst I respect and admire my fellow journeymen aviator engineers, I feel that as we shuffle off our mortal coils, there will be few to replace us.....

I'm not certain that is true.  I'm 47, and completed my Cozy IV ~3 years ago now.  I started on one effort to build it in 1998, and then stopped until ~2008 when I joined up with Michael Antares to finish the IV he had started.  So, figure the build time at 10 years, add in family, kids, jobs, etc and lots of priorities make it difficult for a really young person to get into. What the younger among us have going for them is the absolute garbage resale value that most of the EZs have.  With very few exceptions most EZs trade hands for roughly the cost of the engine and avionics bolted to them.  So if I had a choice today between snapping up a Long EZ for $30k or building a Cozy IV from scratch for 3 times that price...

--
Kevin

Marc

Hi Mike,

I have always enjoyed your posts.  I am assuming you are a digital person, and that your candles are not binary.  My god, you are so young.

Yes, we are a special group.  I can’t imagine flying anything other than my LongEZ, even though I generally have to revert to a GA spam can at my biennial.  It’s like going from a Lamborghini to a pickup truck.

It was sad that Burt was driving out of the business by trivial law suits (none of which he lost, but he still had to fight them.)

If he had continued, I still wonder, if the younger generation would have chosen to build instead of texting.

Marc

[...]

Hakuna matata.  Good luck on the refinishing project.  That project will increase your bond with the bird.  Many years of happy flying ahead.

Marc

    I will be 86 in September. Flying N211LE aka "Skylark".

Jerry Hardesty

On Monday, June 22, 2020, 7:45:54 AM PDT, Marc <borommarc@...> wrote:

Just curious.

How many LongEZ pilots are out there who are over 86 years old and still flying their bird.  I can still get into my LongEZ without using a walker.

Or you can broaden that to canard pilots.

I belong to a group called UFO (Union of Flying Octogenarians)

Stand up and be counted.

Thanks,

Marc Borom

Keith Spreuer

I had an ADSb report just like that last Sat while on flight following. I reported it to ATC and they said there was no target there. But the screen showed it same altitude opposite direction passing right thru me...uncomfortable!

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 9:28 AM Marc <borommarc@...> wrote:

[...]

Hey Don,

I still have you by three years, but I do not have your flying tenure.  Sixty-one years!  Impressive.  That probably qualifies you as an FAA Master Pilot.  Have you applied for this honor?

Marc