Approaching Deep Stall

Andrew Anunson

I have aft CG testing coming up soon.  What are signs that I'm approaching a deep stall?

Thanks,
Andrew Anunson
Cozy MKVI #1273
Pound, VA

Steve Stearns

A couple of details that I think are significant that aren't always mentioned:
1) As you slow down, you want to keep track of the speed at which it appears that canard is losing lift and if, for whatever reason, you are able to get to the expected canard stall speed (60 mph IIRC) and the canard is still flying - then stop and figure out what's wrong so you don't stall your main wing (or just decide you've moved your C.G. too far aft and your limit should be farther forward).
2) Keep tabs on your stick force (and to do that you need your trip springs neutral at the aft stick position you are at when at the stall which for me is full aft stick) and if you find that you are approaching zero stick force to hold that aft stick position, (i.e. there is no longer a natural tendency for the nose to want to drop), the stop and recognize your stability is now such that it's not (for me anyway) safe to proceed (don't go slower, and don't test with your C.G. any further back).

Caveat:  I'm not the most experienced with this stuff, but I thought both the above points were really important and not often mentioned.

Steve Stearns
O235 Longeze ~1500Hrs
Boulder / Longmont CO

Doc Flyboy

Once upon a time, Nat Puffer and I were standing shoulder-to-shoulder getting rid of used beer at OSH discussing this topic. He said slow the airplane gradually, watching the airspeed like a hawk. When the rate of airspeed loss starts to accelerate, push the stick forward because you’re entering a deep stall. Never got the opportunity to take that advice.

Curt Smith
--
Curt Smith Sent from Gmail Mobile