Topics

Bad AME experience

Neil Clayton

I had the worst experience with an Orlando-based AME last week.
I won’t bore you with the details (ask outside the group if you wanna know), but does anyone know of an FAA website where I can complain about this provider?

Thanks
Neil

David A Froble

On 6/23/2020 4:19 PM, Neil Clayton wrote:
I had the worst experience with an Orlando-based AME last week.
I won’t bore you with the details (ask outside the group if you wanna know), but does anyone know of an FAA website where I can complain about this provider?
Did he (or she) get any money out of you?

I got no problem with "This isn't working, we're done here, goodbye."

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Paul Centinaro

You've got at least a couple options that I know of. First, you can call the FAA Civil Aerospace Medical Institute at (866) tell-FAA ((866) 835-5322). Another way is to call the FAA Hotline (800) 255-1111. Either way, you can remain confidential. Good luck...

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020, 3:20 PM Neil Clayton <harvey4@...> wrote:
I had the worst experience with an Orlando-based AME last week.
I won’t bore you with the details (ask outside the group if you wanna know), but does anyone know of an FAA website where I can complain about this provider?

Thanks
Neil

Saro Marcarian

I've had a semi-bad AME experience.

A guy local to me (Santa Clarita, Ca) does / did FAA medical exams one day a week.  He didn't bother attending to ANY of it himself.  It was all non MD staff / assistants.

Time came for the eye test.  I looked through the optics of whatever POS ancient device it was - and the lense was clearly smudged / dirty.  I asked the tech to wipe the optics and was met with resistance and the implication that I was in denial about my poor vision.  I insisted that he look through the optics - and the douchenozzle reluctantly admitted that maybe there was a problem.  He went and got some alcohol swabs.  Things looked MUCH better - but there were apparently some scratches in the optics as well.  Anyway, after he cleaned the optics, he was SHOCKED at how well I was able to see - without my glasses.  Look, I wear glasses because I DO have astigmatism and pretty much EVERYONE can see at least a LITTLE better with some form of correction, so why not?  Apparently, this was too much for this office to digest.

The allmighty MD came in and sternly warned me that he was going to write in a restriction that I must use corrective lenses while flying - even though my vision was good for first class uncorrected.  I provided no resistance - partly because I always wear my glasses, and partly because I felt I was being tested on my honesty or something to that effect.

Strangely, my class 3 was written with no mention of corrective vision.

A couple of years later, I went to the same guy.  The same douchebag was running the vision test, but apparently he remembered me.  The experience was quite a bit different.

Then there's my whole post heart attack Special Issuance insanity, followed by a strangely difficult BasicMed thing.

Enjoy your health, flying, families, etc.  Some things are rather fleeting.

Saro-
While not exactly the same, I have had my last 5-6 class 2 FAA medical exams by the same guy
who seems a bit finicky and possibly over scrutinizes and is a bit distant.
(A couple times ago he asked me about scratches on my arms from my cats (minor))
But the last time I went I told him my name, and he said "nice to meet you" as if he had never seen
me before. Incredible. I am definitely changing to someone else. And a time or two ago I passed fine,
and then he calls me the next day to tell me he is adding a restriction, that I must have reading glasses
on me when flying (not required to wear them officially), but normally I wear cheaters or have them on.
-Christian

--        www.BrilliantDesignOnline.com
Solidworks Design & CNC Plasma Cutting

         -a division of-