Topics

battery location

Herb Sanders <hsanders@...>

Regarding the battery location thread, I don't like complicated systems like
multiple batteries & control systems, but here is what I did on my second Long,
N99HM. I used a 17 amp hr battery from B&C (I think it weighed about 14 lbs) and
located it on the top of the centersection spar with short # 4 cables to the
ground and starter. The battery was retained to the firewall with a sturdy alum
angle frame & bolts, also the aft canopy was enclosed with composite bulkhead /
headrest - protection in case of sudden stop. The B&C linear regulator was
located in same area near the battery. This left me two compartments in the nose
where I always carried a 10 lb tool kit, cover, tie downs, spare tube, etc. I
never had a starting problem at home or away & no maint problems. CG was always
within the revised limit of 103 with 190 lb pilot. Engine was 0320 with 8.5
pistons.
Regards, Herb Sanders

David A Froble wrote:

Art Bianconi wrote:

Dale's right. An engine that draws 125 amps on a summer morning, can
easily drag a starter motor close to stall in the winter. As it does so
the current draw can easily exceed 150 amps; more on larger engines and
those with high compression pistons. What makes this situation so
problematical is that it occurs at a time when battery potential has been
seriously eroded by cold temperatures.

You need to design and build in anticipation of the worst case scenarios.
Not disagreeing with any of the above. But there is an 'OR'.

Or, you control the scenarios.

Not sure if it would be practical for many, but having auxiliary power, on a
short and heavy cable, could be an option. It would be an alternative if
battery and cable weight is an overriding issue. When the engine is warm, it
will take much less onboard power to start it. Obvious complications would be
operations away from your home base, hard starting due to vapor lock or other
reasons.

I particularly liked the idea of the battery near the engine that I think Art
floated several days ago. Auxiliary starting power could be one method for
using such.

If anyone did this, it would need serious documentation somewhere. Future
owners of the aircraft would have to know about the limitations. Else they
might just put a large battery in the nose, and not ever think about the size
wiring installed in the aircraft.

Dave, just letting the mind wander.

Dale Martin <niceez@...>

You Said,
............ here is what I did on my second Long,
N99HM. I used a 17 amp hr battery from B&C (I think it weighed about 14
lbs) and
located it on the top of the centersection spar with short # 4 cables to
the
ground and starter. The battery was retained to ...........
I have been thinking of this for a couple of years now since I have the
extended nose. I really want it on the aft side of the firewall but since I
have a 28/24 volt system the battery is larger in size and doesn't seem
possible unless I run two twelve's in series.

I think putting the battery made since when Burt first started with these
canards however, more room behind the passenger and a 12 inch extension from
the spar forward would do the same thing. At least the battery and master
and starter switches would be a very short run and solve many problems
including extra weight..... as you have found out.

Dale Martin... LEZ 777DJ
Lewiston, Idaho

Art Bianconi <British-Biplane@...>

I agree with you whole heartedly Herb. Simpler is better. Sometimes we
can, sometimes we can't.

BTW, I think that providing protection for the back seater from a loose
battery was extremely prudent.

Art Bianconi

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:11:18 -0600 Herb Sanders <hsanders@...>
writes:
Regarding the battery location thread, I don't like complicated
systems like multiple batteries & control systems,
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.