[Canard Forum] COZY: Strong pitch trim jamming

Greg Norman

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021, 10:53 AM Greg Norman <gnorm76@...> wrote:
Thanks everyone for the advice. I want this plane in the air ASAP so last night I took the spring tube apart to repair and re-install it for now. I found a hard plastic washer at the end of the threaded rod that holds one of two springs in place. The washer was too tight in the tube.
I still have glass and epoxy so on to making a Davenport leaf spring or a copy ob Bernard Siu's setup with Vance's spring. Very nice as well.

Greg Norman

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021, 11:59 PM Jorgen Skovbjerg (skovbjerg@...) <mailer@...> wrote:
View/reply online
Reply to forum at forum@...
If this message contains inappropriate content, you can report the message online
All,
I dissed the Strong trim back when I built the Cozy and installed a Cessna style elevator trim system with a cable loop between the IP and the F22 bulkhead. Beyond the advantage that is can never run away or lock up because of the clutch (very simple) system, I could incorporate the servo from the Century A/P I had at the time. Now the servo works with the Trio A/P for trim.
Since this has worked so well for +20 years now, I wanted something as simple for the LongEZ project. The principle is the same only I am using a small geared motor (from Amazon, where else?) the leaf spring from the elevator torque tube attaches to any of the two cable / spring joints: This first pic is the leaf spring setup in the Cozy. Two other are the new LEZ system

SImple and compact, eh?
Jay

On Jul 5, 2021, at 17:38, Dennis & Margaret Butler (dsbutler569@...) <mailer@...> wrote:

View/reply online
Reply to forum at forum@...
If this message contains inappropriate content, you can report the message online
Hello Greg,
You might try making a new nut out of aluminum. That worked for me. See my article about Strong Pitch trim in CSA Newsletter last Fall (September or October, I think).
Dennis

You have received this message as a member of: Canard Owners and Builders Association
Change preferences (including opt-out): Online Profile. Click on 'Forum Memberships' to change your settings for this forum, or 'Forum General Preferences' for all forums.