Columbia -Rides available

Izzy

I’m on the ground at Columbia with a truck and can give local rides today if anyone needs help. Just call or text.

Izzy
(603)410-7277

Bulent Aliev

There are lot’s of Columbias in the US 😀

--
Bulent Aliev
Enginegear

Izzy

Yea, so far, not the friendliest Canard fly-in I’ve been to.

http://www.canardswest.org/

Columbia, California (O22)

Izzy
(603)410-7277

On Jun 5, 2021, at 10:15, Bulent Aliev <bulent.enginegear@...> wrote:

There are lot’s of Columbias in the US 😀

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 11:13 AM I. N. Briggs via groups.io <inbriggs=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I’m on the ground at Columbia with a truck and can give local rides today if anyone needs help. Just call or text.

Izzy
(603)410-7277

--
Bulent Aliev
Enginegear
ph +1 954.557.1019
fax +1 386.957.4473
Bulent@...
www.enginegearonline.com

Tom Stichman

On Jun 5, 2021, at 14:01, I. N. Briggs via groups.io <inbriggs@...> wrote:

[...]

its improving now....Clouds are lifted :)

Izzy
(603)410-7277

On Jun 5, 2021, at 11:01, I. N. Briggs via groups.io <inbriggs@...> wrote:

Yea, so far, not the friendliest Canard fly-in I’ve been to.

http://www.canardswest.org/

Columbia, California (O22)

Izzy
(603)410-7277

On Jun 5, 2021, at 10:15, Bulent Aliev <bulent.enginegear@...> wrote:

There are lot’s of Columbias in the US 😀

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 11:13 AM I. N. Briggs via groups.io <inbriggs=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I’m on the ground at Columbia with a truck and can give local rides today if anyone needs help. Just call or text.

Izzy
(603)410-7277

--
Bulent Aliev
Enginegear
ph +1 954.557.1019
fax +1 386.957.4473
Bulent@...
www.enginegearonline.com

Rich Schleicher

Tell us more! Give us your report.

On Jun 5, 2021, at 1:43 PM, Tom Stichman <stich33@...> wrote:

[...]

OK,

So, it was a rough start so I'll skip over that. I drove up to Columbia, CA from San Francisco (dropped my wife at the airport Friday) so traffic was unmentionably hostile for hours particularly with my small camper in tow.

I got to Columbia a bit late and wasn't really able to see much so I pulled into the airport parking lot. I could see canards on the ramp which was nice so park there and just sleep in the camper until daylight when I could see better and find a proper campground. So about 6 am, I got up and was doing my walk around when an airport employee got a bit snippy with me over parking in the lot overnight. That was unpleasant and unfriendly. Moving on, I could see some folks on the ramp, but could not get to the ramp. Too many gates. One canard guy walked by so I introduced myself and said hello. He was a bit terse and just said "yea" not offering his name or even a smile and just said he didn't know the gate code. Clearly not interested in engaging despite the little canard logos on my shirt. Ok, so non-fliers are persona-non-gratis. Unfriendly encounter number 2.

I left the airport at that point and found a campground called 49rs. Nice place, a bit expensive $65 to park on a postage stamp for the night, but it has a picnic table and the place had a fun look to it. I realized Beagle was at the event so I texted him about scoring a ride to the pancake breakfast. Since he wasn't going, he suggested someone else. I tried the alternate but didn't get a response. To be fair, the cellphone service is quite sketchy there. Beagle gets a +1 in the friendly column :)

I gave up on getting a ride, and with nothing else to do, I decided to take the 90 min drive north to the pancake breakfast to enjoy the view/ride along the way. When I got there, the gate was open with greeters. +1 for friendly. No canard people were there so I just dropped $5 in the bucket, looked around, grabbed some coffee and headed back.

Arriving back in Columbia, the FBO was now open. Line person offered me some water (+2 for friendly, now we're well into the happy zone) and I was able to get out to the canards unencumbered. I discovered a tent with about 10 canard people with chips and water and chairs (another +2 for friendliness). I sat down for some enjoyable conversation "almost" entirely devoid of any political diatribe. Some fire bombers were out and about giving us a pretty good airshow. There were at least 10 canards on the ramp, mix of Long's, Cookie's Cozy and Beagle's Berkut. A others buzzing in and out some giving people rides was really nice to see.

Klaus came screaming in about 4:00 and, after parking came over to join us for about 45 minutes of conversation at which point the group broke up to go to the group dinner. I was unable to get my reservation in by June 4th (per the pre-registration requirements) so I made alternate plans. Klaus identified a restaurant called Emberz in Sonora (just south) so we went there to grab a bite. According to the hotel desk clerk the chef was also the culinary arts teacher at the local high school.  Dinner was slightly above average, great seafood salad. On the way back to the car post-dinner we stopped to admire a torpedo on display behind the Veterans building on main street. That was weird.

Getting back into town, we made a cursory look at a few places but didn't see anyone we knew so we just hung out at a picnic table in western town and watch the sun go down. Got to bed a bit early and had some good sleep in the cooler mountain air.

Early in the morning, Tim texted me to say Klaus and I were missed the day before and that breakfast was at Mandys (+3 for friendly). I called Klaus to let him know. I had to go back to SFO to pick up my son who was flying in that morning so I had time to pick up a couple guys at the Columbia Inn and drive them the 17 feet to the restaurant and enjoy a brief conversation. That was a nice capstone to my short visit.

My son is test flying gliders for the Air Force Test Pilot school this week so getting here by this morning was critical otherwise I would have lingered a bit more for breakfast. In all I was most fortunate that the logistics allowed me the day to go to the event at all and for that I'm grateful.

Flying in is a good choice for this event. You can walk to the small town and everywhere else that matters. It has a kind of cool little western looking theme, Disney without the Disney. Family friendly and  makes for a great weekend and motivator if your a builder. I can only imagine the landscape from the air must be awesome to see. I'll be back to fly in some other day.

Special thanks to Tim and Beagle and another guy and another gal whose names I didn't catch for putting the time into this. All these events require someone to sacrifice time, energy and money so the rest of us can have a community, and for THAT I'm VERY grateful.

Thumbs up!

Izzy
(603)410-7277

On Monday, June 7, 2021, 01:18:01 AM EDT, Rich Schleicher <kenyarich@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the report of your experience to this fly in.  It is vital that all of the canard group be courteous and friendly to keep people interested in these amazing flying machines.  I am sorry you had some encounters otherwise.  It is unfortunate that every group has some communications issues and some members who are not real helpful to the outside visitors who may have a curiosity bug that some simple communications would leave a positive lasting mark that many of us have a desire to share our passion.

Hope to see you next year at this event barring any state mandates restricting camping or group gatherings and educational opportunities.

Rich S.
Long EZ  N8183K