Topics

COZY: Blown oul cooler

Tim Andres

What does “pooped out” mean?
Did it not cool? Did it fail to contain the oil?
In any case, I recommend you send it to Pacific oil coolers if you want it cleaned or inspected for leaking.
If it doesn't cool thats another matter.
Tim Andres

On May 28, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Greg Norman <gnorm76@...> wrote:

My 2nd first stat today. This time a pooped out out cooler. What I get for buying used.
Going to pressure test the next one. Anyone have any idea what pressure I should test it at?

Grrg Norman

Terry Schubert

 If the cooler fails to keep the oil temp low enough it is likely a problem of air mass going through the cooler.

That is a function of cooling air pressure drop across the cooler.  AN O-360 calls for 5.5" water column pressure difference for cooling at the rated power.

Terry Schubert
Central States Association Newsletter Editor Emeritus

Did it not cool? Did it fail to contain the oil?
In any case, I recommend you send it to Pacific oil coolers if you want it cleaned or inspected for leaking.
If it doesn't cool thats another matter.
Tim Andres

On May 28, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Greg Norman <gnorm76@...> wrote:

My 2nd first stat today. This time a pooped out out cooler. What I get for buying used.
Going to pressure test the next one. Anyone have any idea what pressure I should test it at?

Grrg Norman

Andrew Anunson

It appears you had an overpressure event that caused the oil cooler to burst.  If you install a different oil cooler without eliminating the cause it may happen again.

Andrew Anunson

Sent from a generic phonograph

On May 29, 2020, at 8:54 AM, Tim Andres <tim2542@...> wrote:

What does “pooped out” mean?
Did it not cool? Did it fail to contain the oil?
In any case, I recommend you send it to Pacific oil coolers if you want it cleaned or inspected for leaking.
If it doesn't cool thats another matter.
Tim Andres

On May 28, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Greg Norman <gnorm76@...> wrote:

My 2nd first stat today. This time a pooped out out cooler. What I get for buying used.
Going to pressure test the next one. Anyone have any idea what pressure I should test it at?

Grrg Norman

Greg Norman

It blew a hole in the side.

On Fri, May 29, 2020, 8:53 AM Tim Andres <tim2542@...> wrote:
What does “pooped out” mean?
Did it not cool? Did it fail to contain the oil?
In any case, I recommend you send it to Pacific oil coolers if you want it cleaned or inspected for leaking.
If it doesn't cool thats another matter.
Tim Andres

On May 28, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Greg Norman <gnorm76@...> wrote:

My 2nd first stat today. This time a pooped out out cooler. What I get for buying used.
Going to pressure test the next one. Anyone have any idea what pressure I should test it at?

Grrg Norman

Neil K

Something similar happened to a guy here who blew the gasket off his oil filter on the first run up after major work. Turns out he had a remote filter mounted on the firewall and he inadvertently swapped the in and out lines. The filter would not allow reverse flow and the pressure skyrocketed.

Neil K.

On May 29, 2020, at 10:44 AM, Greg Norman <gnorm76@...> wrote:

It blew a hole in the side.

On Fri, May 29, 2020, 8:53 AM Tim Andres <tim2542@...> wrote:
What does “pooped out” mean?
Did it not cool? Did it fail to contain the oil?
In any case, I recommend you send it to Pacific oil coolers if you want it cleaned or inspected for leaking.
If it doesn't cool thats another matter.
Tim Andres

On May 28, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Greg Norman <gnorm76@...> wrote:

My 2nd first stat today. This time a pooped out out cooler. What I get for buying used.
Going to pressure test the next one. Anyone have any idea what pressure I should test it at?

Grrg Norman

<20200528_150709.jpg>

Greg Norman

Agree. Pulling out the Lyco manual this weekend.

On Fri, May 29, 2020, 9:56 AM Andrew Anunson <macleodm3@...> wrote:
[...]

I have the 45 deg. engine mount adaptor. Going to check the pressure bypass first.