Topics

COZY: Blown oul cooler

Tim Andres

What does “pooped out” mean? 
Did it not cool? Did it fail to contain the oil?
In any case, I recommend you send it to Pacific oil coolers if you want it cleaned or inspected for leaking.
If it doesn't cool thats another matter. 
Tim Andres

On May 28, 2020, at 3:58 PM, Greg Norman <gnorm76@...> wrote:

My 2nd first stat today. This time a pooped out out cooler. What I get for buying used. 
Going to pressure test the next one. Anyone have any idea what pressure I should test it at?

Grrg Norman

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "COZY Builders Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cozy_builders+unsubscribe@....
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cozy_builders/CADg3d5rB6f%3DO6ZJfFmT-CUQzRa6sJpdEf%3DtzZ4HrhYsNk5QR2Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Terry Schubert

If the cooler fails to keep the oil temp low enough it is likely a problem of air mass going through the cooler.

That is a function of cooling air pressure drop across the cooler.  AN O-360 calls for 5.5" water column pressure difference for cooling at the rated power.

Terry Schubert
Central States Association Newsletter Editor Emeritus

---------- Original Message ----------
To: Greg Norman <gnorm76@...>
Cc: Cozy Builders <cozy_builders@...>, canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io
Subject: Re: [c-a] COZY: Blown oul cooler
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 06:53:50 -0600

In any case, I recommend you send it to Pacific oil coolers if you want it cleaned or inspected for leaking.
Tim Andres

My 2nd first stat today. This time a pooped out out cooler. What I get for buying used. 
Going to pressure test the next one. Anyone have any idea what pressure I should test it at?

Grrg Norman

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "COZY Builders Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cozy_builders+unsubscribe@....
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cozy_builders/CADg3d5rB6f%3DO6ZJfFmT-CUQzRa6sJpdEf%3DtzZ4HrhYsNk5QR2Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Andrew Anunson

It appears you had an overpressure event that caused the oil cooler to burst.  If you install a different oil cooler without eliminating the cause it may happen again.  

Andrew Anunson

Sent from a generic phonograph

On May 29, 2020, at 8:54 AM, Tim Andres <tim2542@...> wrote:

Tim Andres

Grrg Norman

--

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cozy_builders/2E85D44C-9FE2-4B7B-9E41-A8DD2F9A627B%40sbcglobal.net.

Greg Norman

It blew a hole in the side.

On Fri, May 29, 2020, 8:53 AM Tim Andres <tim2542@...> wrote:
Tim Andres

Grrg Norman

--

Neil K

Something similar happened to a guy here who blew the gasket off his oil filter on the first run up after major work. Turns out he had a remote filter mounted on the firewall and he inadvertently swapped the in and out lines. The filter would not allow reverse flow and the pressure skyrocketed. 

Neil K.

On May 29, 2020, at 10:44 AM, Greg Norman <gnorm76@...> wrote:

Tim Andres

Grrg Norman

--
<20200528_150709.jpg>

Greg Norman

Agree. Pulling out the Lyco manual this weekend.

On Fri, May 29, 2020, 9:56 AM Andrew Anunson <macleodm3@...> wrote:
It appears you had an overpressure event that caused the oil cooler to burst.  If you install a different oil cooler without eliminating the cause it may happen again.  

Andrew Anunson

Sent from a generic phonograph

On May 29, 2020, at 8:54 AM, Tim Andres <tim2542@...> wrote:

Tim Andres

Grrg Norman

--

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cozy_builders/2E85D44C-9FE2-4B7B-9E41-A8DD2F9A627B%40sbcglobal.net.

Greg Norman

I have the 45 deg. engine mount adaptor. Going to check the pressure bypass first. 

On Fri, May 29, 2020, 11:25 AM Neil K <neil.kruiswyk@...> wrote:
Something similar happened to a guy here who blew the gasket off his oil filter on the first run up after major work. Turns out he had a remote filter mounted on the firewall and he inadvertently swapped the in and out lines. The filter would not allow reverse flow and the pressure skyrocketed. 

Neil K.

On May 29, 2020, at 10:44 AM, Greg Norman <gnorm76@...> wrote:

Tim Andres

Grrg Norman

--
<20200528_150709.jpg>