Topics

COZY: Cozy dry weight

Bulent Aliev

My CZ came at 1189 lb with IO-360, electric NG, two batteries, wheel pants. 5” wider and 2” taller fuselage. W&B was done by me and Steve Wright

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 8:30 AM Greg Norman <gnorm76@...> wrote:
I have the first edition of the Cozy MKIV owner's manual. It shows the Cozy dry weight of 1050 lbs. I don't think I slapped on too much epoxy but geeze. Is this with an O-200? At this point I can't carry passengers with full tanks.
Anyone care to report their weight with a 320, 360, or 540? Email me private if you wish. No need for waistlines lol. Just want to see if I need to start pulling seats or engine parts.

Greg Norman
Cozy #134
N540GN

Bulent Aliev
Enginegear
ph +1 954.557.1019
fax +1 386.957.4473
Bulent@...
www.enginegearonline.com

Bob Holliston

I'll bet Nat Puffer got that weight figure from the prototype Cozy 4. That's what the data plate said anyway. Ken Murphy bought it from Nat and flew it for 30 ? years. It was 2" narrower than the plans Cozy. I flew it a few times and thought the wing or canard incidence was not correct and here's why: You couldn't do a normal takeoff meaning raising the nosewheel and letting the plane start flying when it wanted to. I did that on my first takeoff. As soon as I raised the nose wheel the plane would lift off without enough speed to fly and settle back down. I did this twice to make sure I wasn't imagining things. I mentioned that to Ken and he told me that he always ran it up to 85 - 90 MPH, pulled back on the stick and lifted off. He thought they all did that. Come to think of it, since that's the only Cozy 4 I ever flew, maybe maybe that's normal?

--

Phil Kriley

Mine is very heavy at 1440, with IO360, constant speed 3-blade prop, wheelpants, electric nose lift and full panel.  I have flown with 4 in the plane but the total weight of all was about 600 and I only carried 30 gallons of fuel.  My plane was tested to 2300 and that is my upper limit.

Phil Kriley