Phil Kriley

Follow the directions.

Phil Kriley

On Jun 30, 2020, at 11:06 PM, Greg Norman <gnorm76@...> wrote:

Today I was told by a very good longEZ flyer that his plane flies at a 1 to 1.5 degree nose up and that is how he did his weight and balance.
My Cozy 4 with the longerons level will be very different in nose weight than 1 to 1.5 degrees nose high. This significantly moves my nose gear forward.
So anyone know the proper protocol to set up a Cozy for weight and balance?

Greg Norman
540 Cozy MkIV

Del Schier

Greg I am not sure you mean if your friend with the EZ has the nose 1 to 1.5 deg high in flight or sitting on a level hangar floor?

I think my Cozy would rotate sooner if I rigged the nosewheel down more with the longerons a bit up.  I remember Marc Z saying the canard incidence has been a problem with some Cozys he has worked on, and that he recommended to set the incidence on the high side of the limit when building.  My Cozy is pretty much spot on with the template I made.

I think raising the way it sits on the ground would help it rotate sooner and would help fix the nose gear fork shimmy I get on hard braking.  I have to use a lot of nose up elevator to rotate but once it comes up I am solidly flying and have to let the stick back forward.

I have hesitated to raise the nose ground attitude as it wants to tip nose up very easily with nobody and no ballast in it.  I have already tipped in on the tail rolling it backwards down my sloped hangar ramp.

One way or another I would do the W/B by the plans but when building/rigging the nose wheel make sure you have enough caster in the pivot and enough range in the gear down limit switch to experiment.  I don’t think the way it sits on the ground has much to do with the CG except you need to weigh it level.

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL