Topics

COZY: Cozy W&B

Marc J. Zeitlin

Greg Norman wrote:

Today I was told by a very good longEZ flyer that his plane flies at a 1 to 1.5 degree nose up...

Somewhere between 1 - 3 degrees, depending upon setup and engine power, yes.

and that is how he did his weight and balance.

Then he did it incorrectly. While EZ's DO generally fly at a deck angle (longeron angle) of about 1.5 - 2 degrees nose up, that's meaningless in the context of how the designer of the airplane DIRECTED that the W&B be performed.

My Cozy 4 with the longerons level will be very different in nose weight than 1 to 1.5 degrees nose high. This significantly moves my nose gear forward.

It's not a huge difference, but it doesn't matter, because you're not going to measure anything with the nose at a 1 - 1.5 degree angle.

So anyone know the proper protocol to set up a Cozy for weight and balance?

Yes. Follow the plans and POH which are very clear on this subject and perform the W&B of your aircraft with the longerons level, since that's how the designer(s) directed that it be done, and that's how the CG range is determined. Measure it at some other longeron angle and your CG may NOT be in the approved range.

Greg Norman

Thank you all for the great answers. The Cozy MKIV is very clear and detailed as to how to properly setup, weaigh, measure, and record the data.
Considering I own the first edition of the owner's manual, 11/1993, I wanted to be certain that nothing has changed through the years as some things have with these planes. Good to know it has not. Thanks.

Greg Norman
Cozy #134
N540GN