COZY: Crankcase vent routing

Vance Atkinson

I used an AIRCRAFT quality worm clamp.  Intended to drill the head and use safety wire...never did it in 2800 hrs of flying, I'm great at procrastination and never had one break or come loose.

I kept the alignment of the pipes from wobbling by using the next size up pipe as a slip fit to keep everything aligned and put the worm clamp behind it as it shows in the following 3 pictures.

vance atkinson

Vance Atkinson

NO...the clamp  is not welded to either pipe.  If it breaks then it can leave the plane.   The clamp  is not cinched down really tight, just moderate and the purpose of the weldment arraignment was handy to keep it from sliding back into the prop.  I checked the tightness pretty regularly and never found it loose. Best arraingment as previously mentioned is to drill the head and safety it.   Which in my case, would require welding a small tab on to one of the pipes to attache the other end of the safety wire.  Drilling the head is a better option than slipping the wire thru one of the clamps "slots" as there is not much meat left at the edges of the slots.
vance

On 7/6/2021 7:21 PM, Orr wrote:
Did you weld the clamp to both pipes too?  It seems like a broken clamp will stay in position until it fails then can get past the welded collar you added.

David Orr