Topics

COZY: Exhaust pipe slip joints

Del Schier

I had the opposite problem, my slip joints on the exhaust were loose with one of the joints showing exhaust stains.  I used a Harbor Freight tail pipe expander which helped.

Medium Tail Pipe Expander (harborfreight.com)

The one that was leaking the most was the one nearest the cabin heat muff.  I don’t usually need the cabin heat but the other day I was pleased to see my CO monitor reading zero.

TIP: Lube the tool up better before you use it.

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

From: cozy_builders@... <cozy_builders@...> On Behalf Of Michael Garmon
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 8:34 AM
To: Cozy Builders <cozy_builders@...>; canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io; Canard Forum <forum@...>
Subject: COZY: Exhaust pipe slip joints

I have taken one of the slip joints apart to facilitate accessing the flange nut for torquing. Now I am not sure that was a good idea. I am having trouble getting the pipe back over the slip joint. Is there a magic formula on getting these two to mate back up? I have tried expanding the pipe using heat without success.
Thanks 

Michael Garmon 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "COZY Builders Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cozy_builders+unsubscribe@....
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cozy_builders/640768F8-92C4-4F34-9135-4BA14E9CEE9E%40gmail.com.

"michaelagarmon@gmail.com

Del,
Thanks ! That did the trick. 

Michael Garmon 

On Jan 11, 2021, at 8:10 AM, cozypilot@... wrote:

I had the opposite problem, my slip joints on the exhaust were loose with one of the joints showing exhaust stains.  I used a Harbor Freight tail pipe expander which helped.

Medium Tail Pipe Expander (harborfreight.com)

The one that was leaking the most was the one nearest the cabin heat muff.  I don’t usually need the cabin heat but the other day I was pleased to see my CO monitor reading zero.

TIP: Lube the tool up better before you use it.

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

From: cozy_builders@... <cozy_builders@...> On Behalf Of Michael Garmon
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 8:34 AM
To: Cozy Builders <cozy_builders@...>; canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io; Canard Forum <forum@...>
Subject: COZY: Exhaust pipe slip joints

I have taken one of the slip joints apart to facilitate accessing the flange nut for torquing. Now I am not sure that was a good idea. I am having trouble getting the pipe back over the slip joint. Is there a magic formula on getting these two to mate back up? I have tried expanding the pipe using heat without success.
Thanks 

Michael Garmon 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "COZY Builders Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cozy_builders+unsubscribe@....
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cozy_builders/640768F8-92C4-4F34-9135-4BA14E9CEE9E%40gmail.com.