Topics

COZY: Exhaust pipe slip joints

Andrew Anunson

Michael Garmon wrote:
"I have taken one of the slip joints apart to facilitate accessing the flange nut for torquing. Now I am not sure that was a good idea. I am having trouble getting the pipe back over the slip joint."

I have removed and reinstalled my exhaust pipes from the flanges multiple times during my engine installation.  As long as the parts were lined up, the parts fit together snugly but just fine.
Did your parts go together OK before torquing the exhaust flange nuts?  (although, if everything was built flat/straight, it shouldn't matter if you've torqued the nuts down or not).

Andrew Anunson
Cozy MKIV #1273
Pound, VA

"michaelagarmon@gmail.com

They were installed and aligned, but it took great effort to take them apart. I suspect they were installed with a much higher temperature than I am able to achieve.

Michael Garmon

Michael Garmon wrote:
"I have taken one of the slip joints apart to facilitate accessing the flange nut for torquing. Now I am not sure that was a good idea. I am having trouble getting the pipe back over the slip joint."

I have removed and reinstalled my exhaust pipes from the flanges multiple times during my engine installation.  As long as the parts were lined up, the parts fit together snugly but just fine.
Did your parts go together OK before torquing the exhaust flange nuts?  (although, if everything was built flat/straight, it shouldn't matter if you've torqued the nuts down or not).

Andrew Anunson
Cozy MKIV #1273
Pound, VA

Keith Spreuer

Seems to me that if the slip fit is that tight then the slip will not relieve the pipe from vibration stress as designed. Maybe that Harbor Freight expander is a good idea.