Topics

COZY: Matco Brake Maintenance

Phil Kriley

I asked Matco about upgrading my brakes to use the Nordlock washers (that my new brakes have) but was told that could not be done.

Phil Kriley
New Norlock equipped Matcos on my flying plane, but older style on my project

On May 27, 2020, at 3:47 PM, Keith Spreuer <kspreuer@...> wrote:

David mentioned what a bear the Matco's are to change the pads. They have come out with some items that really help that. First the Nordlock washers on both the 3 disc bolts and the 4 bolts to the caliper. This eliminates the safety wiring altogether which was one of the biggest pains. The other change is to replace the 4 center bushing (on those same 4 bolts) with a single scalloped spacer. Trying to get all that stuff lined up and bolts stared with just 2 hands was really a juggling act. It still is a handful but with the spacer it's much better. The other trick I learned is assemble the caliper and pads with the spacer and 4 bolts before the 2 outside bolts that go all the way thru the caliper are installed. You put the disc up around the axle without those two outside bolts, then start the 4 inside bolts and spacer but leave them slightly loose. That way the two outside bolts and their bushing can fit between the fixed lining plate and the caliper. Then the assembly is completed by inserting the 2 outside bolts and tightening all bolts. Still more difficult than Cleveland but a real improvement.

Keith

Marc J. Zeitlin

Phil Kriley wrote:

I asked Matco about upgrading my brakes to use the Nordlock washers (that my new brakes have) but was told that could not be done.

It most certainly can be done, as I've done it on multiple planes. You do, however, have to upgrade to the latest version of the disc, which has appropriate countersinks, as well as the correct screws/bolts. So the next time you need to replace the discs (maybe every third pad change, depending upon your brake usage), do the upgrade.

And if you already HAVE the latest discs, then whomever you spoke to doesn't know what they're talking about.