COZY: Re: [c-a] EZ nose lift repair parts


Tim Andres
 

Pull the lid off the motor, its EZ, and you can see the gears. I think you'll find the gears are fine and the clunking noise is below the motor in the part Jack makes. If so its probably a bad bearing and these can be sourced from any bearing supplier. Suggest a you get them from Motion industries, Applied industrial or similar and not Amazon or Ebay.
These are a tapered bearing set and there really is no means to adjust the preload. If its not close you’ll have to shim or machine something, or send it to Jack. I’ll bet it comes in pretty close and you wont have a problem.
Tim Andres

On Oct 28, 2021, at 9:16 AM, 'Izzy Briggs' via COZY Builders Mailing List <cozy_builders@...> wrote:

I spoke with Jack last week. He can’t get new motors right now from his usual distributor citing supply chain issues. Not that the information is helpful, but you might want to just focus on repairing what is broken for now.

Izzy
(603)410-7277

On Oct 28, 2021, at 08:58, Neil K <neil.kruiswyk@...> wrote:

Some time ago someone posted what the Wilhelmson nose lift motor/gearbox came from so as to get repair parts.

My EZ-Noselift is making clunk noises like a tooth is missing off the gear. I’m about to pull it apart and look for replacement items. On the plus side, It’s been operating for over 13 years and 850 hours trouble free.

Anyone know what the motor/gear box came from? I’m thinking a trailer lounge lift.

Thanks

Neil










Neil K
 

Thanks Tim/Izzy,

I’ll be pulling it apart over the next few days. I’ll let the group know what I find.

Neil

On Oct 28, 2021, at 11:41 AM, Tim Andres <tim2542@...> wrote:

Pull the lid off the motor, its EZ, and you can see the gears. I think you'll find the gears are fine and the clunking noise is below the motor in the part Jack makes. If so its probably a bad bearing and these can be sourced from any bearing supplier. Suggest a you get them from Motion industries, Applied industrial or similar and not Amazon or Ebay.
These are a tapered bearing set and there really is no means to adjust the preload. If its not close you’ll have to shim or machine something, or send it to Jack. I’ll bet it comes in pretty close and you wont have a problem.
Tim Andres

On Oct 28, 2021, at 9:16 AM, 'Izzy Briggs' via COZY Builders Mailing List <cozy_builders@...> wrote:

I spoke with Jack last week. He can’t get new motors right now from his usual distributor citing supply chain issues. Not that the information is helpful, but you might want to just focus on repairing what is broken for now.

Izzy
(603)410-7277

On Oct 28, 2021, at 08:58, Neil K <neil.kruiswyk@...> wrote:

Some time ago someone posted what the Wilhelmson nose lift motor/gearbox came from so as to get repair parts.

My EZ-Noselift is making clunk noises like a tooth is missing off the gear. I’m about to pull it apart and look for replacement items. On the plus side, It’s been operating for over 13 years and 850 hours trouble free.

Anyone know what the motor/gear box came from? I’m thinking a trailer lounge lift.

Thanks

Neil














Neil K
 

I’ve pulled it apart and the bearings are on the rough side.  I’m about to pick up new ones locally.

Is the worm drive something I should be pulling apart and servicing while I’m here?  Also the spring?  I’ve got a bit of wear on the alignment slot.

Neil

IMG_1335.jpg


IMG_1337.jpg


On Oct 29, 2021, at 6:10 AM, Neil K <neil.kruiswyk@...> wrote:

Thanks Tim/Izzy,

I’ll be pulling it apart over the next few days.  I’ll let the group know what I find.

Neil


On Oct 28, 2021, at 11:41 AM, Tim Andres <tim2542@...> wrote:

Pull the lid off the motor, its EZ, and you can see the gears. I think you'll find the gears are fine and the clunking noise is below the motor in the part Jack makes. If so its probably a bad bearing and these can be sourced from any bearing supplier. Suggest a you get them from Motion industries, Applied industrial or similar and not Amazon or Ebay.
These are a tapered bearing set and there really is no means to adjust the preload. If its not close you’ll have to shim or machine something, or send it to Jack. I’ll bet it comes in pretty close and you wont have a problem.
Tim Andres



kent ashton
 

I would take it apart a bit more and replace the set-screw that is chewing up the gold-anodized part.  The set-screws probably use Loctite so they will need to be heated to remove them.  (see pic below) There is a recirculating-ball mechanism/nut that probably just needs wiping off and regreasing.  The recirculating nut has a bunch of tiny balls inside that can be removed but be careful to catch them.  They are a little tedious to reinsert, too.  Probably not necessary to disassemble the nut.
-Kent

On Oct 29, 2021, at 1:38 PM, Neil K <neil.kruiswyk@...> wrote:

I’ve pulled it apart and the bearings are on the rough side.  I’m about to pick up new ones locally.

Is the worm drive something I should be pulling apart and servicing while I’m here?  Also the spring?  I’ve got a bit of wear on the alignment slot.


Tim Andres
 

Mine did the same thing on that slot. Jack didn't think it hurts anything. 
As suggested Id clean and grease it. 
Jack might tell you what type grease to use, my only concern is not all grease types play well together and you probably cant get all of it out without further disassembly. 
Where the bearings still intact? Cage not damaged no spalling of the races? (The inner race, under the rollers is typically the first place to fail and hardest to inspect)
Tim Andres


On Oct 29, 2021, at 11:52 AM, kent ashton <kjashton@...> wrote:

I would take it apart a bit more and replace the set-screw that is chewing up the gold-anodized part.  The set-screws probably use Loctite so they will need to be heated to remove them.  (see pic below) There is a recirculating-ball mechanism/nut that probably just needs wiping off and regreasing.  The recirculating nut has a bunch of tiny balls inside that can be removed but be careful to catch them.  They are a little tedious to reinsert, too.  Probably not necessary to disassemble the nut.
-Kent

On Oct 29, 2021, at 1:38 PM, Neil K <neil.kruiswyk@...> wrote:

I’ve pulled it apart and the bearings are on the rough side.  I’m about to pick up new ones locally.

Is the worm drive something I should be pulling apart and servicing while I’m here?  Also the spring?  I’ve got a bit of wear on the alignment slot.
<IMG_8428.jpeg>


Del Schier
 

Neil that looks similar to the one on my Cozy and it is a Thompson Saginaw. I spoke to them awhile back trying to get one for a friend with an EZ and they said they no longer make that model but I bet they still have parts.

One thing I notice on the picture is the mounting bosses just below the gearbox are missing. I thought they were welded on but maybe yours is different.

Mine Cozy doesn’t have the gold anodized piece at the end with the worn keyway.  I wonder why it needs the keyway as the nose gear attachment should keep it from rotating.  I know this because I take care of my airparks gate, and that actuator is kept from rotating by the attachment to the gate.

 

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

 

 

 

From: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io <canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io> On Behalf Of Neil K
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 1:39 PM
To: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io
Subject: Re: COZY: Re: [c-a] EZ nose lift repair parts

 

I’ve pulled it apart and the bearings are on the rough side.  I’m about to pick up new ones locally.

 

Is the worm drive something I should be pulling apart and servicing while I’m here?  Also the spring?  I’ve got a bit of wear on the alignment slot.

 

Neil

 

IMG_1335.jpg

 

 

IMG_1337.jpg

 

 

On Oct 29, 2021, at 6:10 AM, Neil K <neil.kruiswyk@...> wrote:

 

Thanks Tim/Izzy,

               I’ll be pulling it apart over the next few days.  I’ll let the group know what I find.

Neil



On Oct 28, 2021, at 11:41 AM, Tim Andres <tim2542@...> wrote:

Pull the lid off the motor, its EZ, and you can see the gears. I think you'll find the gears are fine and the clunking noise is below the motor in the part Jack makes. If so its probably a bad bearing and these can be sourced from any bearing supplier. Suggest a you get them from Motion industries, Applied industrial or similar and not Amazon or Ebay.
These are a tapered bearing set and there really is no means to adjust the preload. If its not close you’ll have to shim or machine something, or send it to Jack. I’ll bet it comes in pretty close and you wont have a problem.
Tim Andres

 


Neil K
 

Tim,

The bearings are not in the best of shape with visible scoring on the outer race.  I can only imagine what the inner race looks like.  There was no pre-load on the bearings when I took it apart and they actually flopped around a bit.  At least .020” clearance.

I have new bearings so now all I need to do is figure out how the get the outer races out.  Luckily, I have access to a machine shop right on my field.

Kent,

I will be taking it apart a little further to inspect the recirculating ball race.

Dale,

I haven’t gotten into the motor part yet other than to run it on the bench.  It sounds Smoot and quiet but I will pull the top off it and have a look.


Neil



On Oct 29, 2021, at 4:31 PM, Tim Andres <tim2542@...> wrote:

Mine did the same thing on that slot. Jack didn't think it hurts anything. 
As suggested Id clean and grease it. 
Jack might tell you what type grease to use, my only concern is not all grease types play well together and you probably cant get all of it out without further disassembly. 
Where the bearings still intact? Cage not damaged no spalling of the races? (The inner race, under the rollers is typically the first place to fail and hardest to inspect)
Tim Andres


On Oct 29, 2021, at 11:52 AM, kent ashton <kjashton@...> wrote:

I would take it apart a bit more and replace the set-screw that is chewing up the gold-anodized part.  The set-screws probably use Loctite so they will need to be heated to remove them.  (see pic below) There is a recirculating-ball mechanism/nut that probably just needs wiping off and regreasing.  The recirculating nut has a bunch of tiny balls inside that can be removed but be careful to catch them.  They are a little tedious to reinsert, too.  Probably not necessary to disassemble the nut.
-Kent

On Oct 29, 2021, at 1:38 PM, Neil K <neil.kruiswyk@...> wrote:

I’ve pulled it apart and the bearings are on the rough side.  I’m about to pick up new ones locally.

Is the worm drive something I should be pulling apart and servicing while I’m here?  Also the spring?  I’ve got a bit of wear on the alignment slot.
<IMG_8428.jpeg>