Topics

COZY: Re: [c-a] Wide bodies

Tony Rothwell

I have one of those - me, not the aircraft.
Brenda and I met Nat and Shirley at OSH 87 and walking away one evening Nat asked why we had come to OSH?
"To meet you and buy the plans" (for the mk III)  says me.
"Well, I have to tell you there is a 320 Lb weight limit in the front seat"  says Nat.

He was not amused when I said my petite wife would have to lose some weight!!!!

And at that stage Nat was still denying there would be a Mk IV and by the time it became available we were too far down the track to change.

Tony VH-COZ

On Sat, 23 Jan 2021 at 04:39, Buly <bulent.enginegear@...> wrote:
As Bill said, I widened the fuselage by 5” at the seatback, and pulled the seatback back by 5”. Of course, I was widely criticized by some people. My plane was much more comfortable, faster at cruise at the same engine and setting compared to LEZ And CZ,s.
I could not fit in a standard CZ even with cushions out and my shoes off.
And I was only 6’4 and 220lb at the time. Not a giant. As I was saying, it was designed to be comfy for “girly man”. Joke! No need to 🔥.
Anyway, one day I got an email from Nat, saying that he liked the looks of my CZ😱. 15 years before that at SF he told in a terse way me to go build something else after I asked him if it can be modified. So I never called him during the building process. “I did it my way” 😂

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 12:24 PM Bill Allen <billallensworld@...> wrote:
I think Bulent Aliev made his 5” wider and also slightly staggered the front seats - his CZ4 performed well.

he might even comment on my comment :^)

Bill Allen

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 at 17:20, Greg Norman <gnorm76@...> wrote:
Remember the King Cozy? I found a photo of it last night and wondered what happened to it. It was a huge fuselage but I believe he had the right idea like I bet a lot of us ponder.
   Why on earth do we have to shoehorn ourselves into every airplane while even the Mazda Miata seems to have more leg and hip room? From a Cessna 150, Mooney, to a Cozy. Even the "luxury" aircraft you have to clamber in from the back or a passenger side door. Haven't the aircraft companies heard we're not the same size of the 1930's generation?
   Will it completely ruin the aerodynamics if we build a canard plane a foot wider instead of "staggering" our SO in the back so her hips don't turn blue? Sure seems it would make those cross country trips a bit more enjoyable.

Greg Norman
N540GN

Bulent Aliev
Enginegear
ph +1 954.557.1019
fax +1 386.957.4473
Bulent@...
www.enginegearonline.com

Tony Rothwell

Hey Khalid, you and I once flew in the front of the MkIII so maybe the forward C of G limits are just a wee bit flexible??

On Sat, 23 Jan 2021 at 12:38, khalid Shuwayhat <khalid.shuwayhat@...> wrote:
Hi , even in cozy 4 2 large adults are difficult and heavy nose on rotation , the finished build nose was a bit heavier the plans,  adjust the engine mount few inches aft to get it in the range and 2 adult at 400 lb front seat rotate at 70 ok not running out of trim .

Thank you.
Khalid Shuwayhat
cell 1-692 500 9333
cell witron 1-224 501 6026

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021, 17:53 Tony Rothwell <tony13rothwell@...> wrote:
[...]

skovbjerg

Well, that was back when Nat also preached that the O-235 was plenty enough for the Cozy III. Putting a O-320 in there and in my case I need a minimum of 230 lbs in the front seat and can stay within cg with up to 400.... can fly with even more, just not much fun...
Jay

On Jan 22, 2021, at 16:55, Tony Rothwell <tony13rothwell@...> wrote:

[...]

Ryszard Zadow

Not sure I understand all this talk about these airplanes being i comfortable unless you make them wider. I fly 1000 mile legs in a LongEZ fairly regularly and do not find it uncomfortable at all. 6 hrs in the airplane is not tiring.. At 5’8 and 185, I fit comfortably well even in my Varieze . At 60 years old and having had lower back surgery and can still twist around to look at my sight gauges. I believe the key to my comfort though is I go to the gym. :)

On Jan 22, 2021, at 21:37, skovbjerg <skovbjerg@razzolink.com> wrote:

Lb

nosedragger48154

Hi Ryszard, You are absolutely correct! The key there is the gym! Keep u[ the good work!

Sincerely,

Mike Scovel
SE Michigan
VariEze

Mbl (313) 608-7202
Email ezdriver@sbcglobal.net

Not sure I understand all this talk about these airplanes being i comfortable unless you make them wider. I fly 1000 mile legs in a LongEZ fairly regularly and do not find it uncomfortable at all. 6 hrs in the airplane is not tiring.. At 5’8 and 185, I fit comfortably well even in my Varieze . At 60 years old and having had lower back surgery and can still twist around to look at my sight gauges. I believe the key to my comfort though is I go to the gym. :)

On Jan 22, 2021, at 21:37, skovbjerg <skovbjerg@razzolink.com> wrote:

Lb

Bulent Aliev

How is going to the gym going to make me shorter? 😂

--
Bulent Aliev
Enginegear

Greg Norman

So is the gym providing hazmat suits? Lucky you Ryz for being who you are. That's a simple answer. Maybe we all could get shorter and lighter going to the gym. Most of us are not.
I'm building a house every day through the winter. Thats enough workout for me. Still doesn't do anything for my hips and shoulders. And well I'm not saying what you said to my SF.

Greg Norman
N540CZ