Topics

COZY: Re: [c-a] Wide bodies - Tandem v Side by side

Bill Allen

Tandem v side by side.

My experience of canards are of LongEz/VariEze and Cozy4. I’m 6’1” 180lbs. Most of my EU compatriots are around this size, but I realise that in the land of “Supersize me” I’m almost anorexic.....

The side by side seating of the CZ4  is wide enough in theory, but in practice, shoulder and arm articulation would be easier with more width. This could be achieved by widening the fuselage, or by staggering the seats - Bulent Aliev did both, and Gianni Zuliani has done the same on his beautiful StagEz;  http://www.comgz.com/stag_E.html

The Long/Vari is a comfortable and big enough “office” to get the piloting job done, but the LongEz is more ergonomic in that the strakes each side give more elbow room and  allow for more storage of various pilot fru-fru.

I have my O2 bottle secured to the upper skin of the RH strake. I also made retaining “lips” where the lower edge of the strake meets the fuselage as otherwise items keep falling out. Additionally I made a small bulkhead halfway back on the base of the strake interior as otherwise items end up sliding back out of reach in a climb.

Unless I’m flying with another pilot who can contribute something to the process, I prefer tandem. Having a person alongside me in flight who cannot contribute anything except possibly confusion and  panic, can be unhelpful. Such crew are better in the back, and indeed having been a passenger in the back of Richard Richmonds LongEz once, I was surprised to find that I fell asleep quite quickly. What’s needed in the rear of the Vari/Long is a good thigh support and footrests which can turn an uncomfortable seat into a comfy one. I also put the windows in the bottom of the rear strakes so that the GIB can see down somewhat.

My 10c. YMMV etc

Bill Allen

Vari N2CR FD51

LongEzDiesel G-LEZE EGBJ

CZ4 G-BYLZ EGBJ

On Sat, 23 Jan 2021 at 16:52, Bulent Aliev <bulent.enginegear@...> wrote:
How is going to the gym going to make me shorter? 😂

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 10:18 AM nosedragger48154 <ezdriver@...> wrote:
Hi Ryszard, You are absolutely correct!  The key there is the gym!  Keep u[ the good work!

Sincerely,

Mike Scovel
SE Michigan
VariEze