Topics

COZY: Static Error on altitude

Tony Rothwell

The GPS satellites are scattered around the sky in the horizontal plane so you get lots of position lines, good geometry and accurate horizontal fixes BUT all the satellites in view are above the horizon by say 10 degrees thus only 160 deg of the vertical plane and less accurate positioning vertically.
Add to which the basic vertical datum for GPS is the center of the earth not mean sea level.

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 at 04:21, Tom Brusehaver <cozytom@...> wrote:
Non WAAS GPS will have pretty good attitude differences.

The angle is so shallow, VDOP can be up to a mile (5000ft).  Even something as good as 500ft horizontal it bad vertical.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020, 12:54 PM Keith Spreuer <kspreuer@...> wrote:
Been noticing that GPS altitude is always above baro altitude. Obviously that depends on the correct baro setting and I don't have WASS GPS.  But I wonder if the 4 kt position error I have is part of this. Guess I need to do some math.