Topics

COZY: Wheel pant air valve cover

Marc J. Zeitlin

Tom Holt wrote:

I used a round disc of aluminum riveted to a 1.5 inch section of hinge with a torsion spring.

Or buy one:

pricey, but faster.

Greg Norman

$80 for two??? Oh c'mon Marc, we're builders! I bet we can make better ones from fiberglass. We enjoy spending a day or three making them. ;-).

Greg Norman

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020, 9:45 PM Marc J. Zeitlin <marc.j.zeitlin@...> wrote:
Tom Holt wrote:

I used a round disc of aluminum riveted to a 1.5 inch section of hinge with a torsion spring.

Or buy one:

pricey, but faster.

Neil K

Many moons ago I did exactly as Marc suggested yesterday. The little covers weren’t $40.00 back then.  14 years and 750 hours later they’re still working perfectly.

I have this type of tire filler/pressure gauge which allows for a bit of misalignment.

Neil K.
C-GNEZ

Tom Holt wrote:

I used a round disc of aluminum riveted to a 1.5 inch section of hinge with a torsion spring.

Or buy one:

pricey, but faster.

Tim Andres

You guys don't really think plugging that little hole (right next the a hole so big a tire can fit thru it) is going to make it any faster do you?
Tim Andres

Tom Holt wrote:

I used a round disc of aluminum riveted to a 1.5 inch section of hinge with a torsion spring.

Or buy one:

pricey, but faster.

Craig Westwood

Tom Holt wrote:

I used a round disc of aluminum riveted to a 1.5 inch section of hinge with a torsion spring.

Or buy one:

pricey, but faster.

              (_
|-------==(_)==--------|
           o/ | \o

Joel Ventura

I plan to cover the hole with a 1.5"  disk of white electrical tape. I have a set of gasket punches for punching holes from 1/8 inch up to 3 inches in gasket material. They work pretty well for making tape discs, but even without punches, it would not take long to make a disk using a scissors.  And if you don't have the skill to do that, I would be willing to sell you the disks for $20 each, two for $39.90.  That is half the price of the Aircraft Spruce part.

To add air to the tire, one can simply peel back the aft edge of the tape, add air, and push the tape back in place. The same piece of tape can probably be reused many times. This is the lightest, cheapest, least drag, and easiest solution I have seen.  I am using white tape since my pants are white, but the tape is available in many different colors.
– Joel

Greg Norman

Probably not Tim but either do cup holders and a sexy paint job. :-)

Tom Holt wrote:

I used a round disc of aluminum riveted to a 1.5 inch section of hinge with a torsion spring.

Or buy one:

pricey, but faster.

Joel Ventura

The response to my tape disk offer has been underwhelming. Therefore as a special service to the canard community, for a limited time only, I will double your order for no additional charge. That's right, if you order any time within the next five years, you will get two tape discs for the $20 price of one. Just pay the additional handling and postage fee ($20). And you can be confident when buying from me, because every purchase comes with my titanium clad guarantee. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, then I will personally send you a written apology. In fact, to prove my good faith, I'm going to include that right now.

I am sorry you will not be satisfied with your purchase. – Joel

Note: this offer is void if it violates this forum's Personal Promotion Prohibition Policy (PPPP).  (I will still send you the discs if you send me the money, just include an additional PPPP violation fee of only $8.99.)

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 10:54 AM Joel Ventura <ventura@...> wrote:

I plan to cover the hole with a 1.5"  disk of white electrical tape. I have a set of gasket punches for punching holes from 1/8 inch up to 3 inches in gasket material. They work pretty well for making tape discs, but even without punches, it would not take long to make a disk using a scissors.  And if you don't have the skill to do that, I would be willing to sell you the disks for $20 each, two for $39.90.  That is half the price of the Aircraft Spruce part.

To add air to the tire, one can simply peel back the aft edge of the tape, add air, and push the tape back in place. The same piece of tape can probably be reused many times. This is the lightest, cheapest, least drag, and easiest solution I have seen.  I am using white tape since my pants are white, but the tape is available in many different colors.
– Joel

Joel-
LOL
I will have to save up for some of your tape disks, but I think you might have a future in this...
Sham wow lez.jpg
-Christian
--        www.BrilliantDesignOnline.com
Solidworks Design & CNC Plasma Cutting

         -a division of-
www.AlpineWorldwide.com
       "We build ideas.."

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 11:46 AM Joel Ventura <ventura@...> wrote:
[...]

Del Schier

You can see in the picture the door I have. It works fine but someday I will put ¼ turn fasteners on it.  It is a PIA to have to check the air as it is hard to roll the plane around in my crowded hangar; usually I have to open the hangar door.  The new Michelin air stop tubes are a help though.

OK: someone is going to tell me the cooling slots are messing up the aerodynamics of my pant.  I have taped them over and could not notice the Cozy was any faster.

For tape I like to use Scotch/3M 33 white electrical tape. That tape is at Home Depot Aircraft Supply and it works great.  Doesn’t fly off, doesn’t peel off the paint and lasts forever.

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

Tom Holt wrote:

I used a round disc of aluminum riveted to a 1.5 inch section of hinge with a torsion spring.

Or buy one:

pricey, but faster.

              (_
           o/ | \o

Bob Holliston

Del, I'm trying to understand this. You can actually rotate and FLY with those draggy wheel pants? Man..... you must have some HORSEPOWER!

--

skovbjerg

TIM,
There is no substitute for speed