Topics

Dealing with a LiPo fire inflight

Charles SPINELLI

Keep in mind that any  device with LiPo batteries can be a potential fire hazard if they get too hot. When a LiPo catches fire it can be very intense almost like a blowtorch. I have had LiPos shoot flames a foot or more. It happens fast so you need a fast response method and an extinguisher may not be enough.

Think about if it catches fire what do you do? Opening the canopy and tossing it out through the prop for me is not an option.

So I purchased several fireproof LIPo charging bags. If my phone or iPad catches fire the plan is to throw it in the bag to contain the fire. It won’t contain the the smoke but it will keep the fire a bay and buying time to land. I also carry one when I fly on airlines.

You can buy them on amazon for about $15. An iPad will fit easily in the bag.

I high.y recommend it.

Charlie
VariViggen
N31WW

gary hall

This is why you're NOT safe using Lipo Safety Bags (pt. 1/3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tavpXgmL16M