Topics

Dynon's red cube fuel flow sensor

Jim Evans

Has anyone installed one of these on a Long?  Based on what they are telling me, it needs to be located after the last fuel pump and sloping upwards to the carburetor.  I don't see much room to install it as they want.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Jim

--
James W. Evans Jr.
Airport Manager

Kevin R. Walsh

The red cube is an Electronics International FT-60.  For my fuel injected installation I wanted it down low, after the fuel injector body, but before the flow divider.  I mounted it behind the elbow and spacer for the fuel injector body.  You can see it here:

For a carburetor you'd want it after the engine-driven fuel pump, but before the carb.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 12:47 PM Jim Evans <jevansez@...> wrote:
Has anyone installed one of these on a Long?  Based on what they are telling me, it needs to be located after the last fuel pump and sloping upwards to the carburetor.  I don't see much room to install it as they want.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Jim

--
James W. Evans Jr.
Airport Manager
Tappahannock - Essex County Airport
1450 Aviation Rd.
Tappahannock, VA
22560
KXSA
Airport: 804-443-5885
Fax:     804-443-6891
kxsa.airportinfo@...
http://www.tappahannockessexairport.com/

--
Kevin

Jim Evans

Mine is carbureated. Not a bunch of room to mount without being attached to the engine, mounted upright and flowing upward.

Jim

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020, 16:17 Kevin R. Walsh <krwalsh@...> wrote:
[...]

Stefano Ferretti

My red cube is installed between the engine fuel pump and the carburettor just flowing downward; it works well.
Stefano

Jim Evans

Thanks, Stefano.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020, 16:55 Stefano Ferretti <variezecanard@...> wrote:
My red cube is installed between the engine fuel pump and the carburettor just flowing downward; it works well.
Stefano

Steve Rothert

Jim,
I mounted my red cube near the rear seat, where the fuel line goes back to the carb.   That was the only place that had the approximate straight "inlet and outlet" fuel line as suggested by the manufacturer.

Steve

Jim Evans

Steve: does it work alright? Did you have to adjust the "K" factor to get it to read correctly?

Jim

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020, 18:29 Steve Rothert via groups.io <SWROTHERT=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Jim,
I mounted my red cube near the rear seat, where the fuel line goes back to the carb.   That was the only place that had the approximate straight "inlet and outlet" fuel line as suggested by the manufacturer.

Steve

Steve Stearns

I've got mine in the passenger compartment upstream of the gascolator (which is on the firewall).  It was the best compromise I could come up with for straight sections of pipe and my desire to minimize fuel lines and weirdness in the engine compartment (heat soak concerns) vs being downstream of my "fuel filter" (aka gascolator) and electric fuel pump.

It does reduce/constrain flow a little upstream of the pump (bad) but the effect is minor and my static flow tests to the gascolator are acceptable.  Its k-value was fine right up until some bug bodies got tangled up in there (impared impeller, so flow read low, didn't impair actual flow) after I left the caps loose overnight (so it wouldn't warm up with full tanks and pee out the vent, I've since added a second vent so this doesn't happen anymore).  I cleaned it out and had to tweak the k-value a couple of times and it worked ok but, IIRC, seemed a little erratic so I replaced it and it's worked fine ever since.

Steve Stearns
O235 Longeze
Boulder / Longmont CO

andrew geraghty

[...]