Topics

Exhaust pipe slip joints

"michaelagarmon@gmail.com

I have taken one of the slip joints apart to facilitate accessing the flange nut for torquing. Now I am not sure that was a good idea. I am having trouble getting the pipe back over the slip joint. Is there a magic formula on getting these two to mate back up? I have tried expanding the pipe using heat without success.
Thanks
Michael Garmon

Greg Norman

I had similar issues Mike. At the time they were new without crud. I used a wire wheel to smooth it up a bit then wiped on a bit of wd-40. Seeemed to help. Hope you didn't heat the pipe too much or you'll get distortion. You could try chilling the male end with ice unless you're above the 45th parallel. Then use a heat gun on the female end.

Greg Norman
N540GN

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021, 8:34 AM "michaelagarmon@... <michaelagarmon@...> wrote:
I have taken one of the slip joints apart to facilitate accessing the flange nut for torquing. Now I am not sure that was a good idea. I am having trouble getting the pipe back over the slip joint. Is there a magic formula on getting these two to mate back up? I have tried expanding the pipe using heat without success.
Thanks
Michael Garmon

Dale Martin

Hi Mike,

We run into this often which requires dressing the outer edge of the smaller slip tube.  The best results are removing it from the engine and using a grinding stone to relieve the edge then follow up with some emery paper (crocus cloth) to make it smooth and shiny.  You should also try a similar technique on the inside of the larger slip tube using a grinding stone on a Dremel or power drill (a cone shape is best).  This little bit of machining is usually enough to get the pipe back on.  If it still is stubborn,, tenderly use a dead-blow hammer to encourage it until the proper fit is achieved.

Regards,

Dale
For Contact info - See Website
http://www.long-ez.com