EZ nose lift repair parts
I ended up not replacing the outer races after a machinist friend declared them perfectly serviceable. What I did do was flip the block that holds the taper bearings up-side-down so the “unloaded” side became the loaded side. Luckily the holes in the tube lined up with just a touch of filing.
During re-assembly I found I needed .010” of shim stock to pre-load the bearings properly. Apart from breaking a microswitch (new one sourced locally) it all went back together nicely.
As a side not, my shock spring WAS under a bit of preload…. About 1/2” so with the help of a metal lathe and tail stock used as a press, I got them back together easily.
The clunk is gone!
Thanks to all who provided ideas and pictures. That helped ALOT!!!