Topics

FI Lycoming start

Greg Norman

I have a Bendix FI Lycoming with an Airflow electric fuel pump. Yesterday I started my engine for the first time and it appears my engine will flood out the servo intake if I crank it too long and too often.
My buddy that knows a bit but no expert about these engines said he remembers to only run the electric fuel pump for 4 seconds before start then shut it off. It started fine but I thought I was to shut off the electric fuel pump after takeoff. What's the procedure with these?
Is flooding through the servo intake a common trait or is something gone wrong?

Greg Norman