Topics

Fuel injection systems? Silver Hawk EX or Air flow performance?

Tom Smith

I think it's time to pick a FI system. I'm looking at the Silver Hawk EX, and Air flow performance system. No longer will the
standard throttle cable be needed. The throttle system will need to be replaced, so what are users of FI system using for
a throttle cable system?and length of cable? Any special requirements for installing on a Long?

Thanks for any help

Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

skovbjerg

Tom, I have a AFP system on mine, still using the standard brock cables... Just like you do on the carb
Jay

On Jan 17, 2021, at 16:29, Tom Smith via groups.io <trcsmith@...> wrote:

I think it's time to pick a FI system. I'm looking at the Silver Hawk EX, and Air flow performance system. No longer will the
standard throttle cable be needed. The throttle system will need to be replaced, so what are users of FI system using for
a throttle cable system?and length of cable? Any special requirements for installing on a Long?

Thanks for any help

Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Tom Smith

I'm under the impression that the cable had to be replaced to something more stout. If that's not true then that solves one problem.

Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Tom, I have a AFP system on mine, still using the standard brock cables... Just like you do on the carb
Jay

On Jan 17, 2021, at 16:29, Tom Smith via groups.io <trcsmith@...> wrote:

I think it's time to pick a FI system. I'm looking at the Silver Hawk EX, and Air flow performance system. No longer will the
standard throttle cable be needed. The throttle system will need to be replaced, so what are users of FI system using for
a throttle cable system?and length of cable? Any special requirements for installing on a Long?

Thanks for any help

Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Andrew Anunson

Tom Smith wrote:
The throttle system will need to be replaced, so what are users of FI system using for a throttle cable system and length of cable? Any special requirements for installing on a Long?

AFP has more customer support and will help you tune your system for LOP operations.

If you use the plans throttle and mixture cables, you'll need to add a return springs to the FI system you choose.  AFP and the Silver Hawk are both designed and intended to be used with push-pull cables.  I don't know why you could not use the cables you have with springs.  The push-pull cables cost around $100 each with fittings.

My cables were $45 each in 2018, now they are $70 each.
I used 84" cables on my cozy... model 314-VTG-3-84A, 84" from here:

Special Requirements:
1.)  Adapting your throttle quadrant from the plans type throttle and mixture cables to push-pull cables.
2.)  Buy or build mounting brackets for each end of the new cables.
3.)  Routing the larger diameter push-pull cable from the quadrant, through the firewall, to the bracket near the engine, and connecting them to the FI servo.

I attached a couple installations of Bendix FI systems (same as Silver Hawk) on Cozy's.

Andrew Anunson

Greg Norman

Two cables, throttle and mixture. Very similar to the plans (attached). My cables attach aft with the Baxter throttle quad. I'd not measure the cable length and purchase until after your throttle/mixture, and servo is installed. This is from experience of getting it wrong the first time.

Greg Norman

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 7:28 PM Tom Smith via groups.io <trcsmith=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I think it's time to pick a FI system. I'm looking at the Silver Hawk EX, and Air flow performance system. No longer will the
standard throttle cable be needed. The throttle system will need to be replaced, so what are users of FI system using for
a throttle cable system?and length of cable? Any special requirements for installing on a Long?

Thanks for any help

Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Bulent Aliev

I had Silver Hawk FI on the CZ4. Used red-jacket push-pull cables from West Marine. They come in 1 foot increments and the inner core is SS encapsulated riding in nylon sleeve I think?  Worked were well for me.

--
Bulent Aliev
Enginegear