Topics

ipad overheat again!

l.p@talk21.com

Can anybody enlighten me on the best aid for an overheating ipad?
A really good friend and pilot, Kevin, needs to rely on his ipad in the cockpit, a topic for another day but suffice to say he has overcome difficult mobility issues to fly and solo at that.
Yesterday, our hottest so far, his ipad failed shortly after take-off despite having been in a cool bag up to pre-flight checks.
He did a 180', cool decision in the circumstances, and returned to base.
This subject I am sure has come up in discussions before , but if anyone can help with current best practice or mods to help that would be great, thank you.
Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

Phil Kriley

I point my eyeball vent at the back of my iPad while flying.

Phil Kriley

On Jun 25, 2020, at 3:49 AM, l.p@... via groups.io <l.p@...> wrote:

A really good friend and pilot, Kevin, needs to rely on his ipad in the cockpit, a topic for another day but suffice to say he has overcome difficult mobility issues to fly and solo at that.
Yesterday, our hottest so far, his ipad failed shortly after take-off despite having been in a cool bag up to pre-flight checks.
This subject I am sure has come up in discussions before , but if anyone can help with current best practice or mods to help that would be great, thank you.
Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

Don B

I keep mine ( IPad mini)in the shade of the strake until taxi and keep a cover over it, if in the mount, until I close the canopy.  Based in Tucson, Az and this works for me.

On Jun 25, 2020, at 12:49 AM, l.p@... via groups.io <l.p@...> wrote:

Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

I. N. Briggs

- keep it in the shade
- charge it before taking off and don’t charge in flight when it’s hot
- paint the case white or get a white case
- reduce brightness a little from max (5%)
- x-naut cooling
- place it in front of the vent
- take it out of the plane

They are helpful but not ready for use in a hot airplane as a primary device. Write key frequencies , headings and navigation details down on an index card as a backup. 

Izzy

On Jun 25, 2020, at 03:49, l.p@... via groups.io <l.p@...> wrote:

Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

Joel Ventura

There have been some good replies here, and I would try those methods before doing what I suggest here.  But if all else fails, you could look into Peltier plates.  These are solid state heat pumps that use the Peltier effect. Pass current in one direction, and the top of the plate gets hot, and the bottom cold.  Pass current in the opposite direction, and the top gets cold and the bottom hot.  A big problem is these devices are not very efficient--in the 5 to 10% range.  So a 60W Peltier plate could remove 3 to 6 watts of heat.  An iPad draws about 10 watts, so this solution might work.  Of course you need good thermal conductivity between the plate and iPad case, and instead of the 10 watts of heat you had to dissipate from the iPad, you now have to somehow dissipate 70 watts, and keep that heat away from the iPad.  And the plate is going to draw 6 amps from your 12 electrical system

Peltier plates used to be expensive, but I saw some from China on eBay for as little as $3, but I have no idea of the quality and efficiency of these units.  It would take some experimentation to evaluate this "solution".
--Joel

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 3:49 AM l.p@... via groups.io <l.p=talk21.com@groups.io> wrote:
Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

Del Schier

Hi Patrick!

Interesting, I have never had my iPad overheat in the airplane.  It is a 9.7” gen 4 and I use in on a RAM mount in front of the panel angled towards me.  If I park the airplane I have always taken it out of the Sun and put it in the wing strake.   I just got a new gen 7 iPad, I hope that isn’t a problem.

BTW Patrick I have gotten motors and have worked on the HF antenna. The project got shelved for stuff I had to do on the house: lawn, well pump and two appliances breaking.  That along with helping a friend get his newly purchased EZ ready to fly after a trailer transport to my airpark.

Say hi to Linda

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

From: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io <canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io> On Behalf Of l.p@... via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 3:49 AM
To: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io
Subject: [c-a] ipad overheat again!

Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

Vernon Asper

Mine overheats all the time but on;y if it’s in the sun.  If I keep it we’ll shaded, it does fine.  I’m not sure what is in the screen,but sunlight really heats it up.
Vernon

On Jun 25, 2020, at 12:52 PM, Del Schier <cozypilot@...> wrote:

Hi Patrick!

Interesting, I have never had my iPad overheat in the airplane.  It is a 9.7” gen 4 and I use in on a RAM mount in front of the panel angled towards me.  If I park the airplane I have always taken it out of the Sun and put it in the wing strake.   I just got a new gen 7 iPad, I hope that isn’t a problem.

BTW Patrick I have gotten motors and have worked on the HF antenna. The project got shelved for stuff I had to do on the house: lawn, well pump and two appliances breaking.  That along with helping a friend get his newly purchased EZ ready to fly after a trailer transport to my airpark.

Say hi to Linda

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

From: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io <canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io> On Behalf Of l.p@... via groups.io

Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

David K

The iPad does not have a source of active cooling, it’s all passive. So any added heat on top of the heat generated by running a graphic intensive process pushes it over the edge. What you need is something that provides cooling air across the surfaces of the tablet to pull heat away faster. 

David Kissick

On Jun 25, 2020, at 10:17 AM, Vernon Asper <vernon.asper@...> wrote:

Mine overheats all the time but on;y if it’s in the sun.  If I keep it we’ll shaded, it does fine.  I’m not sure what is in the screen,but sunlight really heats it up.
Vernon

Hi Patrick!

Say hi to Linda

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

Curt Boyll

Izzy mentioned the X-Naut active fan cooling device. It has two or more USB-powered fans which actively cool the iPad. It is also patented, and sells at a premium price. It is $179 perhaps because it was designed for aviation by pilots. And everything for airplanes is expensive … perhaps you’ve noticed.

I found two USB-powered fans on Amazon for $14, and the iPad case that I use sells for $15. I modified a slimline case to attach to a RAM mount, and it has worked great in my VariEze for a few years now.

I will take photos of the case and mount, and provide a URL link to the fans, if anyone is interested in active cooling for iPad for less than $50.

I have not yet purchased the fans and made this mod myself, but it is high up on my To-Do list.

Curt Boyll
canards, colorado

On Jun 25, 2020, at 6:12 PM, David K via groups.io <geckoinc99@...> wrote:

The iPad does not have a source of active cooling, it’s all passive. So any added heat on top of the heat generated by running a graphic intensive process pushes it over the edge. What you need is something that provides cooling air across the surfaces of the tablet to pull heat away faster. 

David Kissick

Vernon

Hi Patrick!

Say hi to Linda

Del Schier
Cozy IV N197DL

From: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io <canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io> On Behalf Of l.p@... via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 3:49 AM
To: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io
Subject: [c-a] ipad overheat again!

A really good friend and pilot, Kevin, needs to rely on his ipad in the cockpit, a topic for another day but suffice to say he has overcome difficult mobility issues to fly and solo at that.
Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ 

Mike Tooze

Hi Pat, nice to hear from you.  I guess that you and Linda have had to postpone your next intended ‘big trip’?

While it is commendable that folks have been answering this iPad heating issue directly, no one has politely questioned Pat’s friend’s action in having to turn back from a flight when his iPad overheated.

- Are there any ‘airmen’ left??

A good friend of mine still navigates with a plog (pilot’s log) on his knee and follows his progress by running his thumb along a course-line drawn on his map.  He does this by flying actuate, timed, headings and looking out to crosscheck his progress.
Now I didn’t have to say any of the above to us [c-a]’ers. --- As we were ALL taught to fly like that!

This isn’t limited to compulsive iPad’ers.  Some years back I was given a lift home by a guy (my doctor!) who worked his radio like a one-armed paperhanger, calling every possible tower and frequency, as if to wear-out his indents.  I doubt he was looking out for more that ¼ of the time.

OK I admit to flying with my iPad, (my Garmin 100 went obsolete some time ago), but it is an aid not my prime navigation method.  Like my friend I carry a map with course line, and a plog with my headings and elapsed times.  It wouldn’t affect my flight a jot if my iPad shutdown.

This is not a rant, it is question as to whom I’m sharing my airspace with these days?

[Having said that my iPad is held near vertically on its RAM mount seeing little solar radiation and I close down all other applications (which would otherwise be background running thus consuming power).  Never had it shutdown.  ]

Mike Tooze
O235 VE
PS My iPad gives me up-to-date NOTAMS and airspace, and hence a flight planning tool that I needed but did not have to that level before.

On Friday, 26 June 2020, 01:27:24 BST, David K via groups.io <geckoinc99@...> wrote:

David Kissick

Vernon

Hi Patrick!

Say hi to Linda

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

Jim Evans

I agree with you, Mike. When I first flew my Long 35 years ago, I flew to OSH my first two years with only a comm handheld. I did have my 6 pack steam gages. I love flying that way. With all the glass ie panels, iPads, engine monitors, gps and ADSB, I'm afraid no one is looking for other traffic.  Particularly ADSB, one may get complacent feeling looking out for traffic is no longer high priority. You need to remember there are still non ADSB out folks in your proximity including myself. The ADSB requirement just may result in more near missed.
My two cents.
Y'all be careful out there.

Jim

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020, 04:24 Mike Tooze via groups.io <miketooze=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Pat, nice to hear from you.  I guess that you and Linda have had to postpone your next intended ‘big trip’?

While it is commendable that folks have been answering this iPad heating issue directly, no one has politely questioned Pat’s friend’s action in having to turn back from a flight when his iPad overheated.

A good friend of mine still navigates with a plog (pilot’s log) on his knee and follows his progress by running his thumb along a course-line drawn on his map.  He does this by flying actuate, timed, headings and looking out to crosscheck his progress.
Now I didn’t have to say any of the above to us [c-a]’ers. --- As we were ALL taught to fly like that!

This isn’t limited to compulsive iPad’ers.  Some years back I was given a lift home by a guy (my doctor!) who worked his radio like a one-armed paperhanger, calling every possible tower and frequency, as if to wear-out his indents.  I doubt he was looking out for more that ¼ of the time.

OK I admit to flying with my iPad, (my Garmin 100 went obsolete some time ago), but it is an aid not my prime navigation method.  Like my friend I carry a map with course line, and a plog with my headings and elapsed times.  It wouldn’t affect my flight a jot if my iPad shutdown.

This is not a rant, it is question as to whom I’m sharing my airspace with these days?

[Having said that my iPad is held near vertically on its RAM mount seeing little solar radiation and I close down all other applications (which would otherwise be background running thus consuming power).  Never had it shutdown.  ]

Mike Tooze
O235 VE
PS My iPad gives me up-to-date NOTAMS and airspace, and hence a flight planning tool that I needed but did not have to that level before.

On Friday, 26 June 2020, 01:27:24 BST, David K via groups.io <geckoinc99=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

David Kissick

Mine overheats all the time but on;y if it’s in the sun.  If I keep it we’ll shaded, it does fine.  I’m not sure what is in the screen,but sunlight really heats it up.
Vernon

Hi Patrick!

Say hi to Linda

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

Mike Tooze

Hi All,
When I wrote my piece below I was unaware of the particular individual's facts.

I guess I used Pat's email as a trigger for a point that I've wanted to make for some time about use modern devices.
I therefore stand by the general points that I made below regarding the widespread use of, and over-reliance on, iPads etc.  

However, I must apologise as I was not aware of the full circumstances of Pat's note. 

He. Pat's friend, decided that the best course of action was to turn back.
Of course, any pilot's decision to turn back on safety grounds is, by definition, always right.

I now understand that there were particular personal circumstances that prevailed.
I hope that my good friends Pat and Linda will forgive me if I appeared have been a bit 'heavy' in my comments.  
Anyone who's interest and urge to pilot a plane despite whatever difficulties to be overcome is to be massively admired.

I was thus speaking in general, with no criticism whatsoever intended towards their gallant friend.

My very best wishes to him,
Sincerely,

Mike Tooze

On Friday, 26 June 2020, 11:40:48 BST, Jim Evans <jevansez@...> wrote:

I agree with you, Mike. When I first flew my Long 35 years ago, I flew to OSH my first two years with only a comm handheld. I did have my 6 pack steam gages. I love flying that way. With all the glass ie panels, iPads, engine monitors, gps and ADSB, I'm afraid no one is looking for other traffic.  Particularly ADSB, one may get complacent feeling looking out for traffic is no longer high priority. You need to remember there are still non ADSB out folks in your proximity including myself. The ADSB requirement just may result in more near missed.
My two cents.
Y'all be careful out there.

Jim

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020, 04:24 Mike Tooze via groups.io <miketooze=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Mike Tooze
O235 VE

On Friday, 26 June 2020, 01:27:24 BST, David K via groups.io <geckoinc99=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

David Kissick

Mine overheats all the time but on;y if it’s in the sun.  If I keep it we’ll shaded, it does fine.  I’m not sure what is in the screen,but sunlight really heats it up.
Vernon

Hi Patrick!

Say hi to Linda

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

Wayne Hicks

-- Are there any ‘airmen’ left??
-- I'm afraid no one is looking for other traffic.

I offer a different opinion. Nothing chills me to the bone more than "traffic at your 12 o clock, opposite direction, same altitude."  It is comforting to use my Garmin screens and Foreflight to help me pick up the traffic visually way before the ATC call.  Paper, pencil, and wristwatch is of no use.

As for airmanship, yeah, I can fly with just paper, pencil, and wristwatch.  But I choose not to.  Flying with charts and navlogs requires heads-down time, too.  More than you might think.  My eyes are outside the plane more now than ever.

....Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678

David A Froble

On 6/29/2020 9:59 AM, Wayne Hicks via groups.io wrote:

I offer a different opinion. Nothing chills me to the bone more than
"traffic at your 12 o clock, opposite direction, same altitude." It is
comforting to use my Garmin screens and Foreflight to help me pick up
the traffic visually way before the ATC call. Paper, pencil, and
wristwatch is of no use.

As for airmanship, yeah, I can fly with just paper, pencil, and
wristwatch. But I choose not to. Flying with charts and navlogs
requires heads-down time, too. More than you might think. My eyes are
outside the plane more now than ever.
I'm definitely on the side of the fence that advocates all the help that can be had. I'm also of the mind that eyes belong outside the cockpit.

So how do the two get reconciled. My opinion (we all have one) is that the "help" should not require your eyes, but rather your ears. (Don't know how to address anyone who cannot hear.) Warnings should be verbal, along with appropriate advice, if applicable.

Not saying all ADS-B operates in that manner ....

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Phil Kriley

Just got back from a trip to Niagara Falls and home field was buzzing. Two planes doing IFR practice approaches to 8, two planes doing touch and goes on 26 and one other plane plus me trying to land. It is not usually that busy. But my Garmin 375 showed me MOST of the planes (not sure why not ALL) and displayed on my iPad made it fairly easy to find them. Mark I eyeballs found everybody, but the Foreflight display made searching a lot easier.

Back to overheating...I left my iPad in the plane and did not put on the plane’s cover, so when we were ready to come home the iPad would not boot because it was too hot. So we took off and kept the eyeball vent pointed at it until the temp dropped enough after a few minutes for it to turn on. No biggie, but lesson learned. No problems in flight.

Phil Kriley

On Jun 29, 2020, at 10:19 AM, David A Froble <davef@...> wrote:

On 6/29/2020 9:59 AM, Wayne Hicks via groups.io wrote:

I offer a different opinion. Nothing chills me to the bone more than
"traffic at your 12 o clock, opposite direction, same altitude." It is
comforting to use my Garmin screens and Foreflight to help me pick up
the traffic visually way before the ATC call. Paper, pencil, and
wristwatch is of no use.

As for airmanship, yeah, I can fly with just paper, pencil, and
wristwatch. But I choose not to. Flying with charts and navlogs
requires heads-down time, too. More than you might think. My eyes are
outside the plane more now than ever.
I'm definitely on the side of the fence that advocates all the help that can be had. I'm also of the mind that eyes belong outside the cockpit.

So how do the two get reconciled. My opinion (we all have one) is that the "help" should not require your eyes, but rather your ears. (Don't know how to address anyone who cannot hear.) Warnings should be verbal, along with appropriate advice, if applicable.

Not saying all ADS-B operates in that manner ....

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

David Moyer

Wayne,

How do people stay alive flying like this? They should have only be at the same altitude while defending or climbing. In the opposite direction. Unbelievable that is insane!

I think the heads up approach to flying and yes out is the best thing. The proper altitudes are so basic it is one of the first things that my instructor drilled into my head! Still have burned into my head watch your altitude. Wait maybe that was a few smacks on the back of the head.

Regards,

.....David Moyer, Long EZ N871PS

From: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io <canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io> on behalf of Wayne Hicks via groups.io <cozy678@...>
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 9:00 AM
Subject: Re: [c-a] ipad overheat again!

I offer a different opinion. Nothing chills me to the bone more than "traffic at your 12 o clock, opposite direction, same altitude."  It is comforting to use my Garmin screens and Foreflight to help me pick up the traffic visually way before the ATC call.  Paper, pencil, and wristwatch is of no use.

As for airmanship, yeah, I can fly with just paper, pencil, and wristwatch.  But I choose not to.  Flying with charts and navlogs requires heads-down time, too.  More than you might think.  My eyes are outside the plane more now than ever.

Phillip Johnson

The problem occurs when someone is flying north on 005 degrees and someone is flying south on 175 degrees.  Both will be at the same altitude.  The UK has a great system using the quadrantal rule.  Odd thousands for 0 to 090, odd thousands plus 500 for 090 to 180 and so on.  It’s a long time since I flew in the UK but I assume nothing has changed.

Phillip Johnson 

On Jul 2, 2020, at 1:06 PM, David Moyer <remconinc@...> wrote:

Wayne,

How do people stay alive flying like this? They should have only be at the same altitude while defending or climbing. In the opposite direction. Unbelievable that is insane!

I think the heads up approach to flying and yes out is the best thing. The proper altitudes are so basic it is one of the first things that my instructor drilled into my head! Still have burned into my head watch your altitude. Wait maybe that was a few smacks on the back of the head.

Regards,

From: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io <canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io> on behalf of Wayne Hicks via groups.io <cozy678@...>

Wayne Hicks

In my experiences, "Same altitude, opposite direction" happens more frequently in the terminal areas as IFR planes and VFR planes mix it up.  Otherwise, many pilots love to fly at 3,000 feet.

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 01:06:02 PM EDT, David Moyer <remconinc@...> wrote:

Wayne,

Regards,

Mike Tooze

Like one of the pilots under discussion after his iPad overheats, this thread has drifted 180 degrees.;^)

Originally it was not at all about how you use your Pad when it is working.

The comment was about pilots action when their iPads gives out, fails, due to overheating or whatever.  
I was criticising about over-reliance on iPad use to the point of ‘mission failure‘ after this failure event. 
And BTW flying a timed heading does not mean eyes-in - completely the opposite.

Phillip is entirely right re the UK quadrantal rule. A very good rule IMHO.  However it is difficult(understatement) to implement with, for example in the SE, we have terrain to 900 ft, masts at 1800ft, settlements to be avoided by 1500ft and controlled ‘A’ airspace base at 2500ft.  I hope that I am wrong but these days few UK instructors emphasize this rule.

Mike Tooze

On Thursday, 2 July 2020, 18:39:17 BST, Phillip Johnson <phillip.johnson@...> wrote:

The problem occurs when someone is flying north on 005 degrees and someone is flying south on 175 degrees.  Both will be at the same altitude.  The UK has a great system using the quadrantal rule.  Odd thousands for 0 to 090, odd thousands plus 500 for 090 to 180 and so on.  It’s a long time since I flew in the UK but I assume nothing has changed.

Phillip Johnson 

Wayne,

Regards,

Phillip Johnson

When I lived in England, my aeroplane was based at Bournmouth and I did much of my flying west of the London area so I really liked that quadrantal rule.

Phillip Johnson

On Jul 3, 2020, at 5:11 AM, Mike Tooze via groups.io <miketooze@...> wrote:

Like one of the pilots under discussion after his iPad overheats, this thread has drifted 180 degrees.;^)

Originally it was not at all about how you use your Pad when it is working.

The comment was about pilots action when their iPads gives out, fails, due to overheating or whatever.  
I was criticising about over-reliance on iPad use to the point of ‘mission failure‘ after this failure event. 
And BTW flying a timed heading does not mean eyes-in - completely the opposite.

Phillip is entirely right re the UK quadrantal rule. A very good rule IMHO.  However it is difficult(understatement) to implement with, for example in the SE, we have terrain to 900 ft, masts at 1800ft, settlements to be avoided by 1500ft and controlled ‘A’ airspace base at 2500ft.  I hope that I am wrong but these days few UK instructors emphasize this rule.

Mike Tooze

On Thursday, 2 July 2020, 18:39:17 BST, Phillip Johnson <phillip.johnson@...> wrote:

Phillip Johnson 

Wayne,

Regards,