Topics

ipad overheat again!

l.p@talk21.com

Can anybody enlighten me on the best aid for an overheating ipad?
A really good friend and pilot, Kevin, needs to rely on his ipad in the cockpit, a topic for another day but suffice to say he has overcome difficult mobility issues to fly and solo at that.
Yesterday, our hottest so far, his ipad failed shortly after take-off despite having been in a cool bag up to pre-flight checks.
He did a 180', cool decision in the circumstances, and returned to base.
This subject I am sure has come up in discussions before , but if anyone can help with current best practice or mods to help that would be great, thank you.
Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

Phil Kriley

I point my eyeball vent at the back of my iPad while flying.

Phil Kriley

On Jun 25, 2020, at 3:49 AM, l.p@... via groups.io <l.p@...> wrote:

Can anybody enlighten me on the best aid for an overheating ipad?
A really good friend and pilot, Kevin, needs to rely on his ipad in the cockpit, a topic for another day but suffice to say he has overcome difficult mobility issues to fly and solo at that.
Yesterday, our hottest so far, his ipad failed shortly after take-off despite having been in a cool bag up to pre-flight checks.
He did a 180', cool decision in the circumstances, and returned to base.
This subject I am sure has come up in discussions before , but if anyone can help with current best practice or mods to help that would be great, thank you.
Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

Don B

I keep mine ( IPad mini)in the shade of the strake until taxi and keep a cover over it, if in the mount, until I close the canopy.  Based in Tucson, Az and this works for me.

On Jun 25, 2020, at 12:49 AM, l.p@... via groups.io <l.p@...> wrote:

Can anybody enlighten me on the best aid for an overheating ipad?
A really good friend and pilot, Kevin, needs to rely on his ipad in the cockpit, a topic for another day but suffice to say he has overcome difficult mobility issues to fly and solo at that.
Yesterday, our hottest so far, his ipad failed shortly after take-off despite having been in a cool bag up to pre-flight checks.
He did a 180', cool decision in the circumstances, and returned to base.
This subject I am sure has come up in discussions before , but if anyone can help with current best practice or mods to help that would be great, thank you.
Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

I. N. Briggs

- keep it in the shade
- charge it before taking off and don’t charge in flight when it’s hot
- paint the case white or get a white case
- reduce brightness a little from max (5%)
- x-naut cooling
- place it in front of the vent
- take it out of the plane

They are helpful but not ready for use in a hot airplane as a primary device. Write key frequencies , headings and navigation details down on an index card as a backup.

Izzy

On Jun 25, 2020, at 03:49, l.p@... via groups.io <l.p@...> wrote:

Can anybody enlighten me on the best aid for an overheating ipad?
A really good friend and pilot, Kevin, needs to rely on his ipad in the cockpit, a topic for another day but suffice to say he has overcome difficult mobility issues to fly and solo at that.
Yesterday, our hottest so far, his ipad failed shortly after take-off despite having been in a cool bag up to pre-flight checks.
He did a 180', cool decision in the circumstances, and returned to base.
This subject I am sure has come up in discussions before , but if anyone can help with current best practice or mods to help that would be great, thank you.
Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

Joel Ventura

There have been some good replies here, and I would try those methods before doing what I suggest here.  But if all else fails, you could look into Peltier plates.  These are solid state heat pumps that use the Peltier effect. Pass current in one direction, and the top of the plate gets hot, and the bottom cold.  Pass current in the opposite direction, and the top gets cold and the bottom hot.  A big problem is these devices are not very efficient--in the 5 to 10% range.  So a 60W Peltier plate could remove 3 to 6 watts of heat.  An iPad draws about 10 watts, so this solution might work.  Of course you need good thermal conductivity between the plate and iPad case, and instead of the 10 watts of heat you had to dissipate from the iPad, you now have to somehow dissipate 70 watts, and keep that heat away from the iPad.  And the plate is going to draw 6 amps from your 12 electrical system

Peltier plates used to be expensive, but I saw some from China on eBay for as little as $3, but I have no idea of the quality and efficiency of these units.  It would take some experimentation to evaluate this "solution".
--Joel

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 3:49 AM l.p@... via groups.io <l.p=talk21.com@groups.io> wrote:
Can anybody enlighten me on the best aid for an overheating ipad?
A really good friend and pilot, Kevin, needs to rely on his ipad in the cockpit, a topic for another day but suffice to say he has overcome difficult mobility issues to fly and solo at that.
Yesterday, our hottest so far, his ipad failed shortly after take-off despite having been in a cool bag up to pre-flight checks.
He did a 180', cool decision in the circumstances, and returned to base.
This subject I am sure has come up in discussions before , but if anyone can help with current best practice or mods to help that would be great, thank you.
Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

Del Schier

Hi Patrick!

Interesting, I have never had my iPad overheat in the airplane.  It is a 9.7” gen 4 and I use in on a RAM mount in front of the panel angled towards me.  If I park the airplane I have always taken it out of the Sun and put it in the wing strake.   I just got a new gen 7 iPad, I hope that isn’t a problem.

BTW Patrick I have gotten motors and have worked on the HF antenna. The project got shelved for stuff I had to do on the house: lawn, well pump and two appliances breaking.  That along with helping a friend get his newly purchased EZ ready to fly after a trailer transport to my airpark.

Say hi to Linda

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

Can anybody enlighten me on the best aid for an overheating ipad?
A really good friend and pilot, Kevin, needs to rely on his ipad in the cockpit, a topic for another day but suffice to say he has overcome difficult mobility issues to fly and solo at that.
Yesterday, our hottest so far, his ipad failed shortly after take-off despite having been in a cool bag up to pre-flight checks.
He did a 180', cool decision in the circumstances, and returned to base.
This subject I am sure has come up in discussions before , but if anyone can help with current best practice or mods to help that would be great, thank you.
Patrick Elliott
Long-EZ G-LGEZ

Vernon Asper

Mine overheats all the time but on;y if it’s in the sun.  If I keep it we’ll shaded, it does fine.  I’m not sure what is in the screen,but sunlight really heats it up.
Vernon

[...]

David K

The iPad does not have a source of active cooling, it’s all passive. So any added heat on top of the heat generated by running a graphic intensive process pushes it over the edge. What you need is something that provides cooling air across the surfaces of the tablet to pull heat away faster.

David Kissick

On Jun 25, 2020, at 10:17 AM, Vernon Asper <vernon.asper@...> wrote:

[...]

Curt Boyll

Izzy mentioned the X-Naut active fan cooling device. It has two or more USB-powered fans which actively cool the iPad. It is also patented, and sells at a premium price. It is $179 perhaps because it was designed for aviation by pilots. And everything for airplanes is expensive … perhaps you’ve noticed.

I found two USB-powered fans on Amazon for $14, and the iPad case that I use sells for $15. I modified a slimline case to attach to a RAM mount, and it has worked great in my VariEze for a few years now.

I will take photos of the case and mount, and provide a URL link to the fans, if anyone is interested in active cooling for iPad for less than $50.

I have not yet purchased the fans and made this mod myself, but it is high up on my To-Do list.

Curt Boyll
canards, colorado