Topics

Long Ez Wheelpant molds

Terry Schubert

That is an excellent question Izzy.

In the early 90s I started passing around a pressure recovery Lamb tire sized mold including: nut plates, mold release  and CD showing the entire fabrication process and directions for mounting.

The mold was passed from builder to builder via UPS.  The freight was under $20 and the glass.etc was under $20 also.  Painted & with mounting hardware the complete set was under 6 pounds.

When done (should be a month for part time builders with generous days off) the builder was to tell me he was done and I'd send the name/address to the next person on the list.  That worked fine but the irresponsible folks would not do that.  They'd put the mold someplace but not use it or let me know who was next.  Every so many years the mold would come back, damaged of course, and without the mold release or instruction CD.

I'd fix it and put it back into circulation.  My records show it went to ~ 100 builders.  Unfortunately some builders wanted to play "good guy" and started to loan it out to unknown friends and never told me.

When I'd finally tracked down the last guy on the list, there were 1000 excuses but no idea where the mold was. To give you a flavor of just one such retrieval, I offer the following.

I had finally found the guy who seemed to be the last one with it.   I'd never heard of him, but asked that he return it. He just dropped out of communication and wouldn't answer the phone or emails.

After a couple years a VA builder wanted the mold and knew where the bogus builder lived.

I asked him to go get it, make his pants and return the mold to me.  When the bogus builder was confronted by the CSA member , he admitted he had it for some time in the hangar but would not return it.  He said that he'd had it so long that he felt it was his!

What balls!  I was astounded!

Along about this time,  Herb Sanders, founder of Sport Flite & a canard parts fabricator, decided he wanted to put his 500x5 & Lamb size molds out on the trail too since he was out of the fabrication business.  I informed him of the risks I'd experienced.

The 3 mold sets are presently MIA.  Some irresponsible bogus builders have them or they may even be in a land fill.

I have no interest in ever again loaning out anything.

If you want low drag pants, contact "Klaus Savier"<klaus@...>,

Terry Schubert

From: "I. N. Briggs via groups.io" <inbriggs@...>
To: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 07:51:35 -0400

Who’s the jackass that got the molds a few years back and never passed them on? At least a dozen of us were on the waiting list.

Izzy

On Apr 23, 2020, at 05:08, Filipe Rosa <filiperosa@...> wrote:

I am also interested on this topic. There are some further news about the molds or section drawing?
<CSA Oct 2014. pant mold.pdf>

Joel Ventura

Unfortunately, the old saying that "No good deed goes unpunished"  has a lot of truth to it.  I hate to see the majority punished for the irresponsibility of a few, but that is often the case.  I think if anyone else ever helps the community like this, the following steps would help prevent this generosity from being abused:

1.  Require a refundable deposit up front, say $500.
2.  Let them keep the asset rent free for, say 40 days from the time it is shipped. until the day it is received back by you.  Then rent starts, say $1/day.
3.  Consider adding a small use fee to cover wear and tear.
4.  Put it all in writing.

This would help insure only serious builders would borrow it in the first place, and they would have some incentive to return it promptly.  It would also discourage secondary lending.  You could still eventually lose your asset, but at least you would have the money to replace it.

It is unfortunate that good deeds have to bear this additional overhead, but mankind is a very variable species.

Thanks for your generosity in the past.  I am sure it is appreciated by most.
--Joel

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 9:23 AM Terry Schubert <jschuber@...> wrote:

I have no interest in ever again loaning out anything.

Webcave

Sorry to say, the solution to this would be to require a money deposit to get the molds and the money would be returned after the molds were returned and in good condition. Probably at least $250.00 or $500.00  When your on the hook for $500, you tend to be more attentive to getting the job done, and not letting the molds out of your control.

JackM
Veze

[...]

Joel,

I second this idea. I suggested the same before I got Joels email. Sorry Joel, you had it first and with a better outline.

JackM
Veze

[...]

That would be nice, but who knows, they might have ended up on a light sport or???????

Terry

From: "Joel Ventura" <ventura@...>
To: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 10:24:06 -0400

[...]

See e-mail to Joel.

Terry

Who’s the jackass that got the molds a few years back and never passed them on? At least a dozen of us were on the waiting list.
Izzy

On Apr 23, 2020, at 05:08, Filipe Rosa <filiperosa@...> wrote:
I am also interested on this topic. There are some further news about the molds or section drawing?

David A Froble

On 4/23/2020 10:16 AM, Don B via groups.io wrote:
Wow, I thought EZ builders were a responsible bunch! I still think 95% are.
One "aw, shit" wipes out 99 "atta-boys" ....

My experiences have been mainly positive, but, there are assholes out there. Don't even bother asking me how many thousands of dollars I've lost. Now it's money up front before things go out the door.

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

David A Froble

On 4/23/2020 10:24 AM, Joel Ventura wrote:
Unfortunately, the old saying that "No good deed goes unpunished" has a
lot of truth to it. I hate to see the majority punished for the
irresponsibility of a few, but that is often the case. I think if
anyone else ever helps the community like this, the following steps
would help prevent this generosity from being abused:

1. Require a refundable deposit up front, say $500.
2. Let them keep the asset rent free for, say 40 days from the time it
is shipped. until the day it is received back by you. Then rent starts,
say $1/day.
3. Consider adding a small use fee to cover wear and tear.
4. Put it all in writing.
Lesson I learned long ago. If it ain't in writing, it never happened.

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Phil Kriley

I used the molds years ago and passed them on to the next person on the list.

However, there were no mointing instructions of any kind with them.  Based on Wayne Hick’s build site I assume I will have to widen them to fit.  I hope he also has mounting instructions.

It would be cool if someone could post the mounting instructions on Marc’s website!

Thanks,
Phil Kriley

On Apr 23, 2020, at 11:24 AM, Terry Schubert <jschuber@...> wrote:

See e-mail to Joel.

Terry

Who’s the jackass that got the molds a few years back and never passed them on? At least a dozen of us were on the waiting list.
Izzy

On Apr 23, 2020, at 05:08, Filipe Rosa <filiperosa@...> wrote:
I am also interested on this topic. There are some further news about the molds or section drawing?

nosedragger48154

Absolutely correct!

Sincerely,

Mike Scovel

SE Michigan

VariEze

Mbl     (313) 608-7202

Email   ezdriver@...

Email   info@...

             http://www.brighterstick.com

[...]

Kevin R. Walsh

The list as of ~2012 was:

Sam Silverman

Dan Balderson

Jim Bustard

Matt Stecher

Bill Marsh

Izzy Briggs

Tom Tugan

Jim SPringer

David Schilder

Bijan Neshat

Christian von Delius

Wolt Dilworth

But that was 8 years ago, and we know that Izzy says they never made it to him...  I had them in June of 2010.  Jim Bustard was in possession of them at the time and was saying he was going to send them to Sam (which is out of the order of the list at the time).  I made a set of carbon wheel pants from them, but ultimately never used them because they're too small to fit the Cozy.

--
Kevin

Dale Martin

Hey Gang,

I can make a pdf of the Sport flight wheel pant install instructions.  Phil, If you send me you email address I will send you a copy.  It will take a day since the printer/scanner is at home.

You do all know you can purchase the wheel fairing kit for a LEZ at James Aircraft for $213.00.  I mean the amount of time waxing the mold several times, and the cost of all the materials including PVA ??? What's your time worth?
That is less then a full load of fuel!

Regards,

Dale
For Contact info - See Website
http://www.long-ez.com
=====================>

[...]

I. N. Briggs

i ended up buying from klaus. cones with instructions. good quality. will buy again.

Izzy

On Apr 23, 2020, at 12:46, Kevin R. Walsh <krwalsh@...> wrote:

[...]

Kevin, I NEVER received the molds from Dan or Bill or anyone else.  Please make sure of your details before posting.  Thank you.

Who’s the jackass that got the molds a few years back and never passed them on? At least a dozen of us were on the waiting list.

Izzy

On Apr 23, 2020, at 05:08, Filipe Rosa <filiperosa@...> wrote:

I am also interested on this topic. There are some further news about the molds or section drawing?

--

Kevin

Email to or from Parkland College employees may be subject to disclosure under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act. This communication is the property of Parkland College and is intended only for use by the recipient identified. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the original communication. Any distribution or copying of this message without the College’s prior consent is prohibited.

Kevin R. Walsh

Jim-

I am sorry, you are correct.  I was reading my emails and the email immediately after yours was from John Basol.  Yours was signed JB, and my brain skipped between the emails and assumed it was one.

His email of June 12, 2012 was as follows:

Hi Jim,

I have them presently.  I will make sure to get them off to you in the next few days.

-John Basol

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 11:59 AM Jim Bustard via groups.io <JBustard=parkland.edu@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

If I am not mistaken, the James aircraft pants are $213 each.
Sam James is a neighbor of mine at my place down in Florida, and is an amazing and interesting guy.  His stories of racing boats kept me riveted for hours!
Sam told me some years back that the pants he offers are the design from Gary Hertzler,
Sam has since sold the business, so not sure what the status of these are now.
Ross

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 11:25 AM Dale Martin <Niceez@...> wrote:
[...]

Ross Burk
307-277-4642 cell

Bob Holliston

Sam James is a very cool guy. I met him for the first time at the Reno Air Races in one of the race hangers. We talked air racing for awhile and I told him about my time doing the R.A. C. E. races. He said I should have contacted him and he would have given me a free pair of wheel pants. (Now he tells me). He asked me if I had any use for a 12" prop extension off a Presscot Pusher. I said maybe, gave him my mailing address, and he sent it. What a guy! It's still sitting on the shelf waiting for me to get the nerve to bolt that puppy on. LOL.

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 4:30 PM Ross Burk <apogee.design@...> wrote:
[...]

Ron Springer

As far as I know, the James wheelpants are still being made by a friend of mine here in Maryland.

Ron