Topics

LongEZ trim settings

Del Schier

Hello all,

I am helping a friend who purchased a LongEZ and we are going over everything before I fly it for him.  He is low time pilot with little time in a canard.  He transported it on a trailer to my airpark which has a narrow 3000’ runway so he does not want to fly his new airplane here for the first flight.  I will test fly it and fly it over to a local long wide runway. 30 years ago I flew an EZ but for the last six years I have been flying a Cozy; about 750 hrs in canards.

His EZ looks like a good airplane but I have been having him fix things; nothing major. We will be confirming W&B today.

What I wanted feedback on is the elevator trim.  It has a GU canard and with full up trim the elevator is not but maybe ¼” or have much spring force.  Full down trim, full up elevator, it is to the up stop and has over five pounds of force at the trailing edge.  My Cozy take off trim is almost full down elevator with almost five pounds to move it even with the tip.

Does his EZ trim range sound OK?

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

Bob Holliston

I flew one of my LongEZ's with no trim springs, pitch or roll to see what it felt like (I must have been bored) and had no problem. It did feel a little strange at first but after 1/2 hour I was pretty used to it. So..... I'd say don't worry about it.

--

Dale Martin

Del,

That will work without any problems.  3000 feet is plenty of space for you but I guess 4000' is better for a newby especially at sea level.
It is all about speed control.

Dale
For Contact info - See Website
http://www.long-ez.com

[...]

Mike Tooze

While the previous posts may be true in that one could  fly the newly purchased Long with a sub-optimal pitch trim system this is not the message that should be put out to the new owner.  (I know that he will not be the initial pilot.)
The ‘down’ trim sounds ok and is needed to attain the full speed potential of the ship.  But a correctly set ‘up’ trim should also be available.  What if the new owner hits rain? Or if an early or incorrect W&B is such as to need significant up trim?  Holding a climb-out with insufficient trim would certainly feel uncomfortable.

Apart from that I have always found that ‘fixing’ something at the field is always more difficult and takes longer than fixing it in the shop or when it is apart and everything is reasonably accessible.

So I would offer the other view; to fix it now, (and everything else for that matter), before next flight.  Such that zero, or about, trim sits with the lever in the middle of its travel and that at the stops there is reasonably torque on the elevator for both up and down trim.  Probably it is just a matter of adjusting the length of the cable to one of the trim springs - fairly basic.

Recall what Burt said about trying your very best as sometimes your best is not good enough...?

Mike Tooze
O-235 VE