Lycoming Mandatory Service Bulletin SB 645

Marc J. Zeitlin

Folks:

This is a new Service Bulletin From Lycoming. It only affects a few engines, and probably won't affect anyone on this list, but for record keeping purposes, you should list this along with all the other possibly applicable ADs, MSBs, SBs and SIs for your engine, with the applicability and resolution for each - check for your engine type and Serial Number.

Although Lycoming calls it Mandatory, unless it's called out by an AD, it's not mandatory, and we can discuss whether ADs even apply to E-AB aircraft at another time. But it's still good to keep track of what Lycoming thinks is important to keep our engines running.

Thanks to Izzy Briggs for bringing this to our attention.

Harley Dixon

Thanks Marc (and Izzy)...guess it doesn't apply to my O235, but still good info.  I like the fact that Lycoming recommends the reuse of silicon rocker cover gaskets, and specifies leaving the piston IN the cylinder when removing the cylinders.  Saves a lot of time putting it all back together!

Harley

On 9/25/2021 10:34 PM, Marc J. Zeitlin wrote:
Folks:

This is a new Service Bulletin From Lycoming. It only affects a few engines, and probably won't affect anyone on this list, but for record keeping purposes, you should list this along with all the other possibly applicable ADs, MSBs, SBs and SIs for your engine, with the applicability and resolution for each - check for your engine type and Serial Number.

Although Lycoming calls it Mandatory, unless it's called out by an AD, it's not mandatory, and we can discuss whether ADs even apply to E-AB aircraft at another time. But it's still good to keep track of what Lycoming thinks is important to keep our engines running.

Thanks to Izzy Briggs for bringing this to our attention.

Bob Holliston

Lots of 360's listed but not mine so I dodged another bullet. Notice: A plastic drift and a lightweight hammer can be used if if the piston pin plugs are difficult to remove. I think it means the piston PIN not the plug. I've removed many a cylinder leaving the piston in the cylinder and sometimes I can just push the pin out with my finger, sometimes not. I use a wood dowel and a wood hammer. It helps if you have a helper hold the cylinder firmly while tapping the wrist pin out. I just did a top end to my other 290 LE and had to tap three out of four pins out.