Topics

Main gear attach bracket replacement

Mervyn Rainey

Hi folks,

First posting for quite a few years, as personal circumstances killed my LEZ project here in UK - life events dominated events in a major way.

I stil need to build a new workshop, so the whole thing still sits in the balance.

First off I would need to address main gear attach bracket corrosion - suspect original builder had not passivated the aluminium angle (at all?) so it’s turning to dust now, the fuselage being in storage.

I do not have the build manual to hand just now in lockdown here, however from memory these are the upper attach brackets with bolts heads impinging on the tanks. I vaguely recall that this task has been tackled by other in the past, so would appreciate any heads-up on the procedure involved, if anyone has knowledge or experience.

I anticipate that this is a right pain in the @$$ to progress.

best wishes to everyone, from lockdown UK

Glenn Rainey
LEZ project, reboot in mind.

gilbert_drieux

Ask around.
These brackets are not in aluminum, but in steel ....
It would suffice to brush them (but not shiny ...) and apply an anti-rust paint.

Gilbert-Pierre DRIEUX

                 (_
|-------==(_)==--------|  VE  #1736.
             o/ | \o               F-PMPZ @ LFPK.

Such is life und es wird immer sucher.

[...]

Bill Allen

Hi Glenn,

You can get all the gear attach parts here;

Bill Allen

--

Joe Person

Long-EZ main gear attach angles are, per-plans, 1\4 inch thick 6061-T6 aluminum alloy, not steel.

Proper treatment for the aluminum angles would entail a chromate conversion (“Alodine” - also known now as “Bonderite” if using the Henkel product), with appropriate surface prep. Do not anodize such primary structure.

Use of an equivalent geometry extrusion in 2024-T3xxx alloy would work, if available. Chromate conversion with that alloy as well.

Deburring of all holes in these parts is important, especially the hole for the rudder cable conduit in the aft attach angle.

Steel could certainly be used, but would have to entail adequate thickness (TBD) to have the same general strength as the plans-specified 6061-T6 alloy.

Installation of a cad-plated & press-fit steel bushing in the holes in the attach angles common-to the AN6-80A main gear attach bolts is very-highly recommended if using aluminum angles. Suggested: NAS77-6-025, with flange faces facing the main gear tabs. This bushing would require a .500 inch diameter hole in the aluminum attach angles for a press-fit.

-Joe Person

On Jan 24, 2021, at 8:11 AM, gilbert_drieux <gilbert.drieux@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello;
I'm a VariEze builder;  37 years ago ! ..... (still flying and Nose Drager member! ...
Per plan Brackets were Alum angles w VariEze bow.
While building (CP N° ? ?...) I had to change to steel angles and LongEze bow......

Gilbert-Pierre DRIEUX

                 (_
[...]

Mike Tooze

Hi Gilbert,

Yes and I'm still flying too.

As I recall building my early Vari we had to stiffen the Juran(?) main gear bow. This was to add various plies but later some opted to change to the Long Eze bow.

However I don't recall any change to the V-E main gear attach brackets. I made mine as shown in sheets A3 and A5 and specified as 1/8" x 1" x 1.5" 2024-T3 extrusion in Chapter 10 page 10-3. But supplier's (Brock?) ready-made brackets were probably from 6061-T6.

Perhaps you are thinking of the 1/8" extrusions used over/under the V-E main spar supporting the engine bearers? (Changed to 1/4" extrusions for the LE I believe) As people began fitting larger engines some changed these to steel angle.

Not that mine is entirely 'as plans'. I locked each pair of extrusions with a cylindrical ally bearing/spacer. These carries 'top-hat' Teflon lined bearing shells that are push fitted/bonded into the four gear tabs. This way the assembly is more stiff and as the gear moves during taxiing it pivots on the bearings avoiding the squeaks of the standard gear. Perhaps unnecessarily, I increased the through bolts from 1/4" to 5/16" for better support in the extrusions.

I know that Gilbert your Vari has many innovations. The group would be hard pressed to find a true plans-built Vari Eze anywhere.

A good friend of mine purchased his V-E from the original builder/flier. After about six months he came up to me one day with a funny smile "I've just realised", he said, "They'er all different! Yours is a good six inches longer than mine!"

OMV

Sincerely,

Mike Tooze 235 VE G-EMMY - taking advantage with a 'deep service' during this lock-down ;^)