Manual Retract Drafty

Andrew Anunson

Spent a little time at the hangar today sealing up winter drafts in the nose of my Cozy today, but not sure how to address the hole in F-22 that I had to create for the EZ-Noselift manual backup system.   Has anybody got a successful solution to preventing air from coming through this penetration?

Thanks,
Andrew Anunson
Cozy MKIV #1273 (30 hours)
Pound, VA

David A Froble

On 11/16/2022 4:58 PM, Andrew Anunson via groups.io wrote:
Spent a little time at the hangar today sealing up winter drafts in the nose of
my Cozy today, but not sure how to address the hole in F-22 that I had to create
for the EZ-Noselift manual backup system. Has anybody got a successful
solution to preventing air from coming through this penetration?
One solution for such is a flexible material covering the hole, sealed on the outside edge, and in your case, sealed on the inside edge also. Since you won't be using the backup system normally, a seal that will release if used should work.

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Dale Martin

Andrew,

We have accomplished in the past.  "Don't know why you made the hole so big!"
The best way to do this is a plastic (Nylon) sleeve inside another plastic (Nylon) sleeve with slip fit clearance.
Because of the distance involved it looks like the best method would be a small flexible boot with the wide end affixed to the F22 and the small end affixed to the larger sleeve (it should not turn)
The boot to the F22 can be held in place by compression or the sparing use of silicone sealant.  If you clamp it in place as it cures the result will be great.
If you want to decrease the large hole you have, consider a cured piece of 2 plies of BID large enough to cover the hole, drill a hole large enough to clear what rotates and using scissor to slice the BID from the edge to the hole edge.
This allows twisting the BID so it will go over the tube without disconnecting it.

If you need this made let me know in a personal email.

Dale
http://www.long-ez.com
=====================>

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 1:58 PM Andrew Anunson via groups.io <macleodm3=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Spent a little time at the hangar today sealing up winter drafts in the nose of my Cozy today, but not sure how to address the hole in F-22 that I had to create for the EZ-Noselift manual backup system.   Has anybody got a successful solution to preventing air from coming through this penetration?

Thanks,
Andrew Anunson
Cozy MKIV #1273 (30 hours)
Pound, VA

Bulent Aliev

Mousepad material. that’s what I used.

--
Bulent Aliev
Enginegear

Marc J. Zeitlin

Andrew Anunson wrote:

Spent a little time at the hangar today sealing up winter drafts in the nose of my Cozy today, but not sure how to address the hole in F-22 that I had to create for the EZ-Noselift manual backup system.   Has anybody got a successful solution to preventing air from coming through this penetration?

As Kent Ashton said, nose gear doors that seal reasonably well on the fuselage bottom are the single best thing to keep air from leaking in, but I did this, circled in blue:

IMG_0698.jpeg

It's red RTV impregnated BID, with BID glass/epoxy endplates. There's a small hole in the aft plate that has a few thousandths clearance around the torque tube, and the fwd plate is held onto F22 with a couple/three $3 sheet metal screws. My hole in F-22 is about as big as yours, because every plane is a bit different and the universal joint was close enough to F-22 that the hole needed to be larger, given the vertical and fwd/aft motion of the UJ on the top of the NG actuator.

Andrew Anunson

Dale Martin wrote:
We have accomplished in the past.  "Don't know why you made the hole so big!"

I may have made that hole so big to reduce the weight of the airplane.  You should see the rest of F-22   :)

OR: as the gear actuates, the universal travels through the bulkhead and swivels from top to bottom.  The hole in F-22 is the minimum size to accommodate the universal and the nuts and bolts that spin along with the universal.

Thanks everyone for all the excellent ideas!
I found a small, lightweight, approved, and free foam boot that already has a hole in  the bottom of it.  I'll let everyone know how this works out!  Plus... its called a Cozy (or Koozie?).  The OD is the same as F-22 center post (3.5")

I will try using the item in the attached photo to seal up my drafty manual retract.

Andrew Anunson
Cozy MKIV #1273 (30 hours)
Pound, VA

_._,_._,_

Dale Martin

Andrew,

On the airplanes which have the manual crank handles we change the universals to flex-shafts and bonded on socket (which slips over the hex pin on the motor) and use small lock pins to insure the parts will not come off.
Not only is this lighter, there's no hardware moving around to bang into anything.  I know I am not the smartest guy around so I think everyone else already knows all these things and was the reason for my comment.
Using the Cooler cup is a great idea and lead me to think that a piece of PVC pipe with a cap on it where the builder would drill a hole the size of the shaft - could silicone bond the pipe to the F22 and small hole would allow for the rotating movement of the shaft.  Thanks for sparking my thinking machine. :)

Dale
http://www.long-ez.com