From: marks
To: canard-aviators@...
Subject: turboprop canard ?!?!

i was going through the rec.avaiation news group and i saw this
new canard that was being discussed. it has a walter 601
turboprop! geezz, do you think a canard can handle this much
power? i found more information at their web site
www.orionaviation.cc
i chased these guys down and it sounds like they are almost ready
to fly.

what does anyont think about the vertical stabs in the position
where they have put them on this plane? will it really work
there?

Mark Stewart
marks@...

Mark Stewart
marks@...

RonKidd@...

In a message dated 2/21/01 3:35:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, marks@...
writes:

www.orionaviation.cc
Have they flown a prototype? Doesn't look like it. I would wait till they
prove the design before I gambled my money on it. There have been too many
designs in the past that have gone belly up leaving builders with half a kit
and no support.
Ron Kidd Cozy N417CZ

**** From the Moderator: This thread falls into the same catagory as the "Soon to fly diesel". When it flies we can discuss it...

Thanks.

Tim LoDolce <tiger@...>

I would wait until they have several flying before I'd put my money into
something that costs 85k just to get the basic airplane less engine avionics
upholstery etc. You say you have a Velocity what's wrong with what you
have?

Play it smart and don't fall into the lost money pit that many whanabe
builders get caught up in. Research EVERYTHING before plunking one cent down
and then only after they have proven the product.

I went to their website and bottom line It's smells like their in trouble.
Their a composite parts company and far from being a true aircraft kit
company. Ask your self, did they even show at Oshosh?

I wish them luck but they have a long way to go before I would even consider
recommending it to someone or as something for myself.

It's like Bob the Moderator says.....if it hasn't flown we don't discuss it.

Tim LoDolce
VariEze N26FM owner/builder
EAA Tech Counselor and Flight Advisor

From: marks
To: canard-aviators@...

i was going through the rec.avaiation news group and i saw this
new canard that was being discussed. it has a walter 601
turboprop! geezz, do you think a canard can handle this much
power? i found more information at their web site
www.orionaviation.cc
i chased these guys down and it sounds like they are almost ready
to fly.

what does anyont think about the vertical stabs in the position
where they have put them on this plane? will it really work
there?

Mark Stewart
marks@...

Mark Stewart
marks@...

Mark Kananen <mark@...>

I just got an email from them today - this is what Frank said:

we will be flying in september i think.

we will have production parts and partial built aircraft at sun n fun.

we now have almost all production molding tools built and will put those
pictures up soon.

we will continue to update the www site w/ a development album soon.

frank brock

It actually sounds like they are on track, just let the web site slide a
little bit. I hope they succeed - it looks like it will be a fine aircraft!

########### From Bob Moderator: This will probably the last message we'll
pass about this aircraft until it's flown. We've permitted the preceeding
messages on this topic so the c-a community can personally deliver it's thoughts to
would-be buyers by direct email reply. We believe it would be much better
for the company to refrain from advertising or taking orders until after
the aircraft has at least been completed and flown and preferrably
been fully flight tested. ##########

SWrightFLY@...

In a message dated 2/21/01 2:34:59 PM Central Standard Time, marks@...
writes:

<< it looks like i might be buying one of these Orion-TS kits and >>
Mark..........I've been around this business for over 20 years.......A word
of caution.......don't buy this kit until you see 5 or 6 fly in to Oshkosh
with many hours on them

Steve Wright
Wright Aircraft Works (Electric Nose-Lift)
Stagger EZ N700EZ (under construction)
Sponsor- Canard.com

Paul Krasa

History agrees with Steve. Just look at all the kits which have went belly up. SQ2000 is a great example. I remember the heated threads over this. Great sales personnel often sell garbage. SQ2000 partial kits are given away for a song and a dance. Jim Bede is notorious for doing this also. Buyer beware!!

On the topic of this thread, historically the winglets in the position shown will cause aerodynamic problems.

Paul
Long EZ 214LP