Topics

Po(o/u)r Foam Anecdote

Saro Marcarian

I've read many times cautions against using pour foam for anything that matters.  A couple of days ago, I walked past a hangar with a canard that used pour foam for its ailerons.  The ailerons were clearly, obviously, blind guy on the moon can see it bulged on the tops and bottoms.

That is all.

Bulent Aliev

Saro,
You are absolutely right. I would not use it on my worst enemy’s plane😂.
I have all the experience with it. It was all bad.

--
Bulent Aliev
Enginegear

Ryszard Zadow

I use pour foam without reservation. You have to know what applications are suitable for it.

RZ

On Jun 19, 2020, at 16:08, Bulent Aliev <bulent.enginegear@...> wrote:

Saro,
You are absolutely right. I would not use it on my worst enemy’s plane😂.
I have all the experience with it. It was all bad.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 5:00 PM Saro Marcarian via groups.io <sarodude=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I've read many times cautions against using pour foam for anything that matters.  A couple of days ago, I walked past a hangar with a canard that used pour foam for its ailerons.  The ailerons were clearly, obviously, blind guy on the moon can see it bulged on the tops and bottoms.

That is all.

--
Bulent Aliev
Enginegear
ph +1 954.557.1019
fax +1 386.957.4473
Bulent@...
www.enginegearonline.com

Andrew Anunson

I used pour foam for my strake to fuselage fairings (Cozy MKIV) and had no problems (its been a couple years).

Andrew Anunson
Cozy MKIV #1273
Chapter 25
Pound, VA

Sent from a generic phonograph

On Jun 20, 2020, at 9:37 AM, Ryszard Zadow <ryszardzadow@...> wrote:

[...]

Roch LaRocca

I used a small amount of pour foam on a small 2 inch by 1/2 In damaged spot on my aileron 15 years ago.Last year,  I found a delamination right over that spot and only that spot. It may work good now but over time it will not hold to glass.
Rock L
ERacer N382RB

On Jun 20, 2020, at 10:40 AM, Andrew Anunson via groups.io <macleodm3@...> wrote:

[...]

I the 80’s  used to live on my sailboat on Lake Ontario (Toronto)in the winter too.
One day I got the idea of improving the insulation of my built in top loader fridge.
So, I poured two parts foam around it, and it came out great.
Until one day I opened the cabinet next and below the fridge. All my pots and pans were one solid block. The foam had migrated Thru a gap while still liquid and  expanded foaming my pots.
Had to use saw and knife to get them all out.....

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 9:37 AM Ryszard Zadow <ryszardzadow@...> wrote:
[...]

cozygirrrl

I had friends who used to race RC boats, some of these about five feet long. It was a requirement they have floatation in them and a popular method was to set it pointy end down and pour in two part foam. Some race days were over 100 degrees out plus heating from the sun and it never failed you would hear a loud bang when a deck would break the epoxy bonding and pop off.
Like the universe, it never seems to stop expanding.
I’d only use it for temporary molds or in a fairly thin layer once sanded to final size.