Prop Bolt Belleville Washer Update

Marc J. Zeitlin

Folks:

I know that a few of you have had issues sourcing Belleville washers for your propeller bolts from Solon MFG. Although I've never had an issue, and sometimes Fastenal can be a backup, there have certainly been issues with availability and sourcing.

Thanks to Sig Siefkes, we've got a second vendor for identical belleville washers, with part numbers that indicate identical materials and properties as the Solon washers. For the 1/2" bolts on O-360's and O-540's, there's also a third vendor. The second vendor is "American Bellevilles" and the third is "Key Bellevilles".

I've updated the installation instructions to have all the available belleville washer vendor and part number information and updated the web page:

to show this latest version of the instructions.

If there are any questions or comments, please let me know.

Thanks!

Marc,
Greg and I have the 100 of 7/16 washers in stock, they are $1.50 ea + shipping.
If we have any interest, we will be happy to also stock the 3/8.
Ross@...
307-277-4642
Have fun in Arilington!

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 1:09 PM Marc J. Zeitlin <marc_zeitlin@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank You!
Ross Burk
307-277-4642 cell

David A Froble

http://cozybuilders.org/Prop_Bolt_Bellville_Washer/index.html

to show this latest version of the instructions.

If there are any questions or comments, please let me know.

Thanks!
I do believe that I mentioned Key Bellevilles some years ago. It is good that you've now mentioned alternative sources. Being hostage to any single mfg is a real PITA.

Marc, do you have any advice for tension on belleville washers in general? I'd like to ues them on other than Lycoming engines. I'm thinking that "just clamp them down" may not be the best choice. For example, if a wood prop wants 10 inch lbs torque, would that also be good if using Belleville washers?

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Marc J. Zeitlin

David A Froble wrote:

Marc, do you have any advice for tension on belleville washers in general?  I'd
like to ues them on other than Lycoming engines.

The instructions for usage are not specific to any particular type of engine or type of propeller, other than being specific to wood core props.

I'm thinking that "just clamp them down" may not be the best choice.

It's not, and it's not what the instructions say to do. Basically, you use the prop MFG's torque value - nothing changes, except needing a longer bolt and installing the bellevilles in the appropriate configuration on the bolt

For example, if a wood prop wants 10 inch lbs torque, would that also be good if using Belleville washers?

Well, any prop on an aircraft that's only using 10 in-lb of torque is not a prop that's going to stay on the aircraft for any length of time. I generally see torque values by the prop MFG's that range from 16 ft-lb (192 in-lb) for small props on O-200's to 45 ft-lb (540 in-lb) for Catto props on O-360's and O-540's. But in any case, yes - you use the same torque value whether using bellevilles or not - you want the same compression load on the hub and the same stretch of the bolt. The bellevilles merely ensure that that compression will change far less with shrinkage (or expansion) of the wood in the hub.