Raptor down

Craig Westwood

Thankfully Peter was not seriously injured.  Apparently re-drive failure.

image.png

--
            (_
|-------==(_)==--------|

Bob Holliston

Notice the nose gear in the foreground. Raptor is the epitome of a POS, IMHO. IIRC, the empty weight is pushing double the original estimate.

On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 7:08 AM Craig Westwood <craig.westwood@...> wrote:
Thankfully Peter was not seriously injured.  Apparently re-drive failure.

image.png

--
            (_
|-------==(_)==--------|
          o/ | \o

--

Greg Norman

Redrive failure? Sounds like a common problem. Wasn't that the same issue that put the plane (non-canard) into the building at RR?

Greg

On Sun, Aug 8, 2021, 10:08 AM Craig Westwood <craig.westwood@...> wrote:
Thankfully Peter was not seriously injured.  Apparently re-drive failure.

image.png

--
            (_
|-------==(_)==--------|
          o/ | \o

Nick U

You are right.  At pilot at RR had a redrive clutch failure, lost power and his life.  The engine was still running (you could hear it reving up).    It was really weird to have chatted with the owner 10 minutes before he died.  He lost power to the prop in climb out right after take off.  I am positive he had enough altitude when he turned downwind to make it back to the airport.   Why he flew off and crashed a few miles from the airport is a mystery.

I dont understand why a reliable redrive system can not be made.   Rotax has one.  I heard the Raptor prop had a belt drive similar to the belt drive used on a dragster blower.

Nick Ugolini

On Aug 9, 2021, at 11:51 AM, Greg Norman <gnorm76@...> wrote:

Redrive failure? Sounds like a common problem. Wasn't that the same issue that put the plane (non-canard) into the building at RR?

Greg

On Sun, Aug 8, 2021, 10:08 AM Craig Westwood <craig.westwood@...> wrote:
Thankfully Peter was not seriously injured.  Apparently re-drive failure.

<image.png>

--
            (_
          o/ | \o

Greg Norman

Heavy plane, nose and main gear unable to withstand the landing. Looks like drybead design mains?
I remember when Jack Morrison landed in a bean field with his 540 powered E-racer. Broke only the nose gear. Had it all back together in no time.

Greg