Topics

SkyTek starters

Marc

Hi All,

My Skytek starter has failed.  Actually, it is a rebuilt version of the original, which also failed.  I have had this one rebuilt again by an alternator rebuild shop for $240 versus the high price of a new device. – very reliable service

The starter motor components are all automotive.  The main difference is in the mounting fixture – automotive vs. aviation. I need to know what automotive components are actually used.  All are essentially Bosch components.   New automotive starter motors with solenoids attached sell for around $50.  I would like to buy a new automotive starter built with the same components to disassemble and use to rebuild my starter the next time it fails.

See automotive possibilities attached.

Any input???

BTW.  I you are using a wiring setup that connects your keyed starter switch directly to the starter solenoid, you are in for a surprise when the starter contact fuse.  The starter will continue to rotate the prop, ;and there will be nothing you can do short of shutting off the master switch.  An easy fix is to put a secondary solenoid on the firewall that has to be activated by a switch in the cockpit to provide power to the starter motor.  Easy peasy.

Marc Borom

LongEZ

N966EZ

Tucson, AZ

Ryszard Zadow

Get a BandC and youlll never have to worry about starter problems again.

On Jan 13, 2021, at 20:18, Marc <borommarc@...> wrote:

[...]

<Starter Motor Parts_ aircraft.docx>

Jeff Barnes

Ditto.

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 10:33:23 PM EST, Ryszard Zadow <ryszardzadow@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve Rothert

Marc,
Skytec used to take and brand of a starter as a trade-ins, then  offer a "refurbished" starter with warranty. That's what I did several years ago.   I don't know if they do that anymore, now that they are part of Hartzel.

Steve

Don B

I would stay with a B&C starter!  However, on my Cozy the B&C wouldn’t fit.  I have a IO-360 Angle Valve engine out of a Mooney and B&C said that’s the only engine they won’t fit on.  I had to switch to a Skytec🙁

On Jan 14, 2021, at 7:08 PM, Steve Rothert via groups.io <SWROTHERT@...> wrote:

Marc,
Skytec used to take and brand of a starter as a trade-ins, then  offer a "refurbished" starter with warranty. That's what I did several years ago.   I don't know if they do that anymore, now that they are part of Hartzel.

Steve

Jim Evans

Make your own bracket and use an automotive starter. Been doing that for about 30 years now. Easy peasy.

Jim

On Jan 14, 2021, at 7:08 PM, Steve Rothert via groups.io <SWROTHERT=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Marc,
Skytec used to take and brand of a starter as a trade-ins, then  offer a "refurbished" starter with warranty. That's what I did several years ago.   I don't know if they do that anymore, now that they are part of Hartzel.

Steve

Ryszard Zadow

What model IO-360? My Mooney had an IO-360-A1A and it had a BnC on it..

RZ

On Jan 14, 2021, at 20:23, Jim Evans <jevansez@...> wrote:

[...]

RZ, it is a A1A.  The fuel injection throttle body faces toward the prop and the B&C hit it! B&C rep asked if I was flying a Mooney, as this was a problem for them and they did not have a solution.  I told him the engine logbook showed it was pulled out of a Mooney.  Bummer.

On Jan 14, 2021, at 7:33 PM, Ryszard Zadow <ryszardzadow@...> wrote:

[...]

Doesn’t make sense .. I installed one on my M-20E with an IO-360-A1A..

On Jan 14, 2021, at 20:44, Don B via groups.io <donberlin475@...> wrote:

[...]

How was the fuel injection set up on it?  I physically tried it on my engine and there was about 1/4 inch interference and B&C new exactly what the problem was and that it was a Mooney issue.

On Jan 14, 2021, at 7:55 PM, Ryszard Zadow <ryszardzadow@...> wrote:

[...]

It can’t be a “Mooney” issue as the IO-360-A1A is used on several aircraft. There’s nothing unique about the way the starter bolts into that engine nor where the throttle body is located.. An RSA-5 throttle body is not that big... and like i keep saying, I put one on mine. If I can do it so should anyone else ..

On Jan 14, 2021, at 21:01, Don B via groups.io <donberlin475@...> wrote:

[...]

Well it doesn’t fit and and B&C knew what the problem was is all I can tell you!

On Jan 14, 2021, at 9:10 PM, Ryszard Zadow <ryszardzadow@...> wrote:

[...]

Del Schier

I have an IO-360-C1E6 angle valve and I put a B&C starter on it after the SkyTek sheared a drive pin.  I did have to make some mods to the rear baffle.

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

I would stay with a B&C starter!  However, on my Cozy the B&C wouldn’t fit.  I have a IO-360 Angle Valve engine out of a Mooney and B&C said that’s the only engine they won’t fit on.  I had to switch to a Skytec🙁

On Jan 14, 2021, at 7:08 PM, Steve Rothert via groups.io <SWROTHERT@...> wrote:

Marc,
Skytec used to take and brand of a starter as a trade-ins, then  offer a "refurbished" starter with warranty. That's what I did several years ago.   I don't know if they do that anymore, now that they are part of Hartzel.

Steve

Terry Schubert

Plans for making the bracket for a Bosch starter are in the January 1990 Central States Association Newsletter .  See 34 year CSA digital collection.

Terry Schubert
Central States Association Newsletter Editor Emeritus

Make your own bracket and use an automotive starter. Been doing that for about 30 years now. Easy peasy.

Jim

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021, 21:19 Don B via groups.io <donberlin475=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would stay with a B&C starter!  However, on my Cozy the B&C wouldn’t fit.  I have a IO-360 Angle Valve engine out of a Mooney and B&C said that’s the only engine they won’t fit on.  I had to switch to a Skytec🙁

On Jan 14, 2021, at 7:08 PM, Steve Rothert via groups.io <SWROTHERT=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Marc,
Skytec used to take and brand of a starter as a trade-ins, then  offer a "refurbished" starter with warranty. That's what I did several years ago.   I don't know if they do that anymore, now that they are part of Hartzel.

Steve

Tom Smith

Been using a Datsun starter for almost 20 years.

Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

[...]

I am still looking for the make and model of the automotive starter that Skytek uses.

Tom Smith - what is the year and make of the Datsun starter that you are using?

I Googled BandC, which was recommended earlier, and found that it was a marching band in Cambodia. ;-)  I assumed that what was meant was B & C..  I recognize that there are avid supporters of B & C and I would never diminish their product, but surely they are also using automotive components to mount in their housing.

I just want to know what automotive components Skytek uses.  I can buy a complete automotive starter for under $100 and pirate the parts for repair.  Com'on guys and gals, you have that information - just year, make and model.

Thanks,

Marc Borom
LongEZ N966EZ
flying for 34 years.

[...]

brent bourgeois

It’s a Ford pmg starter on lots of things from an old ranger to Ltd plus more recent

Any starter shop will sell you one and all you have to do is swap the nose
Trust me they will recognize this

Brent

XX

On Jan 15, 2021, at 1:09 PM, Marc <borommarc@...> wrote:

[...]

Datson 280 z 1986

Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

[...]

Here is my final input in this topic.  I hope it will assist others facing the same issue.  My admonition is to buy a replacement, $32 automotive starter that will allow you to rebuild your complete device with no further cost.  Not bad.

Please read the attached instruction sheet.

[...]

Thanks, Tom,

I appreciate the precise input.

Please see my response to the issue for more details.