Topics

Superfil

n79995@...

Use a hair dryer to dry surface moisture and make sure the substrate is clean
and well sanded before applying surfacing materials. The first bond id the
most important. The subsequent bonds mean nothing if this one is weak. Amient
humidity does affect these products to any degree you should worry about.
Cold affects cure time.

Chris Wade LEZ N79995 SMO

(Yes, I built it:-)

Gabrielson, Jeff <jeff.gabrielson@...>

I am in the process of refinishing the nose of my Long ez after a gear
colapse on landing. Fortunatly I was only going about 5 kts when this
happened. I am using Superfil for some final touch up work and my question
is....can Superfil be applied during humid conditions such as light to
moderate rain (outside of my hangar), I have never used it other than dry
conditions. And what about painting directly over Superfil, is that
acceptable as a tempory small area or do I need to use a primer. I am
planning on painting the whole airplane in the next year.

Thanks
Jeff
Long ez n141

blackler <blackler@...>

G'Day Jeff,

I would use a small fan heater and perhaps a small tent locally. This would
be for peace of mind. I have used this product in the large humidity range
here in Melbourne and am happy with it's adhesion. One small spike of no
yet sanded SuperFil on the winglet snapped off when I hit it with the 4 ft
block, and lifted fibres underneath - only 0.25" square area in a non
structural area, ie. no problem. This stuff sticks well. You do need to
prime over the top however. It does change colour when cured (from blue to
green) in humidity over long periods. A wipe of the sanding block and it's
gone.

Cheers

Wayne.
IO-360 Long EZ