Topics

Transponder

Aziz Musa

Hello everybody,
Does replacing a transponder with same make and model have any effect on ads-b operation or registration. I am talking about a legacy transponder with the Echo Uat ads-b.
Thank you,
Aziz
N147AM

Keith Spreuer

Nope no effect
Keith

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020, 3:49 PM Aziz Musa <upperglass747@...> wrote:
Hello everybody,
Does replacing a transponder with same make and model have any effect on ads-b operation or registration. I am talking about a legacy transponder with the Echo Uat ads-b.
Thank you,
Aziz
N147AM

Steve Campbell

Just did that two days ago. No effect

Steve Campbell
scampbell@...

On Jun 27, 2020, at 5:56 PM, Keith Spreuer <kspreuer@...> wrote:

Nope no effect
Keith

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020, 3:49 PM Aziz Musa <upperglass747@...> wrote:
Hello everybody,
Does replacing a transponder with same make and model have any effect on ads-b operation or registration. I am talking about a legacy transponder with the Echo Uat ads-b.
Thank you,
Aziz
N147AM

Marc J. Zeitlin

Aziz Musa wrote:

Does replacing a transponder with same make and model have any effect on ads-b operation or registration. I am talking about a legacy transponder with the Echo Uat ads-b.

No, but you WILL have to get a new 91.413 Transponder check done to be legal.

Todd Stock

Back when the ADS-B rule was being debated, there were proposals to sunset the transponder rule and further encourage GA equipage, but with the follow-on to TCAS 2 decades away from full fielding, relief from the transponder rule is not really something likely to occur in the foreseeable future. I’d also like to see some recognition of the changes in GA transponder design which make the 24 month check a bit of a relic, but not holding my breath.

On Jun 27, 2020, at 22:39, Marc J. Zeitlin <marc.j.zeitlin@...> wrote:

Aziz Musa wrote:

Does replacing a transponder with same make and model have any effect on ads-b operation or registration. I am talking about a legacy transponder with the Echo Uat ads-b.

No, but you WILL have to get a new 91.413 Transponder check done to be legal.

Aziz Musa

Thank you to those who answered my transponder question.
Aziz